Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: am i too late?

na975

am i too late?

i admire bmx's, u think it's too late for me to get my feet wet? P.S. i'm 52 yrs old

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its never too late. What's the worst that could happen.........................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Its never too late. What's the worst that could happen.........................
    The same as with mountain biking - you will fall down. I don't get this infatuation with riding bikes in a way that practically guarantees falling. The first rule of bicycling is: Rubber side down, meat side up.

My Bikes
    Raleigh Sport road Haro Mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the worst that could happen
    stufun.jpg
    Moderation can be taken to an extreme.

old but fast
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200, Trek 5000, K2 moutain bike, Giant Option touring. Also have 6 other bikes for rest of family
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I took it up for awhile in my late 40's, it was great fun buuuuttttt... be prepared to get hurt!!!!! You fall from insane heights and land on concrete, asphalt, rock whatever. Get really good pads, don't scrimp, spend some coin on good stuff. Give it a try, a good bike will only set you back around 300 and if you don't like it you will probable sell it to some kid for 200.

Why did I quit? tore both rotator cuffs, trying to stall on the side of a tree and do a 180 out, didn't quite work out. But I still miss it, I do the moutain bike thing now, but that's another story. BTW trees hurt, not to mention the rocks, OUCH!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leinad View Post
    be prepared to get hurt!!!!! You fall ... land on concrete, asphalt, rock whatever. ... tore both rotator cuffs, ...BTW trees hurt, not to mention the rocks, OUCH!!
    I rest my case.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched a bit of the Olympics BMX racing. No way I want any part of that. Me would hurt myself.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Norco (4), Miyata, Canondale, Specialized, K2 Proflex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's never too late but you may be taller than what is comfy.

If you want something to noodle around on and play with balance and stuff what about a trials bike? It doesn't need to be one of the totally saddleless exotics either. A cheap but decent quality 13 or 15 inch MTB frame setup with a high riser stem and 26 inch wheels is sort of like a BMX for grownups. Set it up with either a single speed rear end or a geared rear but single ring with bash guard on the front.

I still want to do this same thing for myself one day and use whatever left over parts I have to keep it cheap. The bike may never do any great distances but it's amazing how much exercise you get trying to bunny hop stuff and to do that funky trials front to back wheel micro hopping they use to stay in place but balance. Not to mention trying to do front and back wheel pivots. And being a 13 inch frame with the saddle slammed to the seat tube end if you loose your balance you just step off the bike.

And since you'll most likely be using BMX or downhill platform pedals with the meat tenderizer pins to hold the bottoms of your shoes better a set of shin guards is a must. A slipped foot that allows the pins to use your shin as a scratching post will really make your eyes sweat..... Trust me on this last bit.....
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me, I specialize in BMX appreciation. My appreciation skills improve everyday. Years ago, I could appreciate the jumps and more recently I took up appreciating doing the in-air acrobatics and all the ramp work of freestyle.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 08-24-08 at 07:55 PM.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could always start easy and see if you enjoy any of the styles. Maybe a few small dirt jumps to start? Or a flatland maneuver or two?

A little mountain biking can also be fun if BMX does does suit.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    Road, Touring, Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did my first BMX race at 56 yrs and loved it (cruiser class), kept it up for one season but there was just no competition at my age. At the starting gate I would look next to me at a 20 yo kid.

Most local tracks aren't so radical and just take it easy. Jumping ain't necessary.

I did win many seconds and thirds though when there was only another racer or two 35 +.

Highly recommend going for it, great for boning up on the out-of-saddle pedaling but do it for the fun, not to kill thy bod.

Forgot to mention that I really sucked at it but sure had fun.

My Bikes
    Norco (4), Miyata, Canondale, Specialized, K2 Proflex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brucewiley View Post
    I did my first BMX race at 56 yrs and loved it (cruiser class), kept it up for one season but there was just no competition at my age. At the starting gate I would look next to me at a 20 yo kid. .....
    KID! ? ! ? ! ?

Reminds me of my first flat track dirt night with the motorcycles. I'd been told online that the mini class was dominated by the kids on the hot little 85cc 2strokes but the real fun was with the old guys in the back of the pack. So I entered only to find I was the only guy over about 14....

The race was 4 laps and there was a jump in the middle of it that would get us airborne. My jumping sucked then and still does. On the last lap the 14 yr kid on the hot 2smoker hit the lip at the same time as me. In mid air I looked over in surprise at hearing the ZRINNNNNG of his engine beside me and was looking UP at the soles of his boots and the bottom of his engine cases while he was looking down at me.... I darn near crashed from instantly laughing so hard...
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....