Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Capitol Criterium

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Capitol Criterium

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-08, 03:00 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Capitol Criterium

Yesterday while out on my ride I stopped in to watch part of the ING Direct Capitol Criterium. It had a $50,000 purse and was, I believe, the first pro race in DC (the Mayor is a roadie). I have never witnessed one of these things before and was impressed - those folks are fast. Hilton Clarke, an Australian, won top honors followed by Rick Rodriguez of Rock Racing. Lots of other big names including Christian Vande Velde (who finished way back in the pack). I didn't have my camera but a fellow Capitol Hill resident I ran into down there put a photo album up. Here are a couple of his shots:

Old 09-22-08, 04:25 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Nice pics. Did you see any of the other races besides the pros?
Old 09-23-08, 05:17 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Nice pics. Did you see any of the other races besides the pros?
I just saw the pros. I watched them start and then went over to Hains Point for a few laps and came back before the finish. There was an amateur race early in the morning and a then kids race before the pros kicked off.