Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When to resume riding after a cold?

And how fast do you get back up to speed?

My cold celebrated its 1 week anniversary today. I pedaled a little on last Monday, which was followed by it's main assault on my sinuses and lungs. So since then, I've limited myself to very short trips around the neighborhood to go to the bank and post office. But tonight, the call of the road was too much and I pedaled over the hill and all the way to the grocery store and managed to rack up about 6 miles total.

What are your rules of thumb for colds?
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a lot of choice, being car-free. If I want to get to work, I have to ride my bike.

Of course, when sick or recovering, I generally take the direct route.

I brought a cold back from Colorado with me. It was about ten days from onset before I felt like riding more than the minimum required. I was (and am) still hacking up junk, especially in the first couple of hours after a ride.

But boy, that time of reduced riding did me a world of good. I'm riding much faster, much longer than before.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just let your body tell you. I had a nasty cold in mid-July and I'd be hacking up all kinds of stuff after a short ride (actually, it started during the ride). I just did what I could like I did when I had the flu last winter (my wife thinks I'm nuts - she's probably right).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally just ride but less energetically. It clears things out.

Al

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as I don't have a fever, I ride. I keep the rides less aggressive and pay particular attention to getting enough rest/sleep. So, intervals, serious hill climbing and especially long rides get put on hold until my body's capable of the higher work loads.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wouldn't occur to me to not ride because of a cold. I might take it a bit easier than normal though.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone debates this one, I think. As long as I don't have a fever, I ride. But if I don't feel well, it's probably going to just be at recovery speed.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.