User Tag List

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chain stay stretch

I was informed today that a vintage Puch will be showing up on my door step this week - free of charge. It was described as having a highly raked front fork, steel lugged construction. I will have the Veloce drive train off my Simoncini - once I strip it and put the new Chorus set on it. I was thinking I might see about getting the chain stays widened on this new bike so the 9 spd campy set would fit. Any experience with this or is this a vial evil thought...? Also - I am told this bike has the old cotter pin cranks - can I put in a new bottom bracket and change it over?

I won't know what I have until I see it - but knowing where it is coming from I think I am in for a treat. Could be a source for many a pic.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not going to keep it original, huh?

No reason why you wouldn't be able to spread the stays. You just have to make sure you spread them evenly and then bend the dropouts so they're parallel again. Maybe best done by a shop. Switching the crankset should be do-able, too; but be careful that it doesn't have some weird bb threading.

My Bikes
    Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheldon's website has a page on setting the dropout spacing to suit newer wheel standards. If you're considering doing it yourself that would be the first place to start.
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read Sheldon's website on how to spread the chainstays as I've been thinking about this....scared the bejeezus out of me. I'd be too intimidated to do this w/a nice frame; I would take it to a shop.
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 08-25-08 at 09:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    I read Sheldon's website on how to spread the chainstays as I've been thinking about this....scared the beejezus out of me. I would take it to a shop.
    I has a similar reaction to reading his site on this topic, but forged ahead anyway. The results were actually very good and what used to be a seven speed now sports the nine with ease. Just remember, you're talking about steel not carbon, and steel is relatively forgiving. Oh, one other thing. I had someone helping me with this, mostly to make sure I was thinking things through before acting.... a kind of procedure monitor, is you will.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    I read Sheldon's website on how to spread the chainstays as I've been thinking about this....scared the bejeezus out of me. I'd be too intimidated to do this w/a nice frame; I would take it to a shop.
    There's no guarantee that anybody in the shop has any more experience spreading chain stays than you do. On the other hand, having done several myself, it's usually not a big deal. 126mm to 130mm is only 2mm per side.