Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 08-24-08, 09:18 PM   #1
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chain stay stretch

I was informed today that a vintage Puch will be showing up on my door step this week - free of charge. It was described as having a highly raked front fork, steel lugged construction. I will have the Veloce drive train off my Simoncini - once I strip it and put the new Chorus set on it. I was thinking I might see about getting the chain stays widened on this new bike so the 9 spd campy set would fit. Any experience with this or is this a vial evil thought...? Also - I am told this bike has the old cotter pin cranks - can I put in a new bottom bracket and change it over?

I won't know what I have until I see it - but knowing where it is coming from I think I am in for a treat. Could be a source for many a pic.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 09:30 PM   #2
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Not going to keep it original, huh?

No reason why you wouldn't be able to spread the stays. You just have to make sure you spread them evenly and then bend the dropouts so they're parallel again. Maybe best done by a shop. Switching the crankset should be do-able, too; but be careful that it doesn't have some weird bb threading.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 09:38 PM   #3
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline
Sheldon's website has a page on setting the dropout spacing to suit newer wheel standards. If you're considering doing it yourself that would be the first place to start.
BCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 12:57 AM   #4
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
I read Sheldon's website on how to spread the chainstays as I've been thinking about this....scared the bejeezus out of me. I'd be too intimidated to do this w/a nice frame; I would take it to a shop.

Last edited by BengeBoy; 08-25-08 at 08:41 AM.
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 04:52 AM   #5
BSLeVan

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
I read Sheldon's website on how to spread the chainstays as I've been thinking about this....scared the beejezus out of me. I would take it to a shop.
I has a similar reaction to reading his site on this topic, but forged ahead anyway. The results were actually very good and what used to be a seven speed now sports the nine with ease. Just remember, you're talking about steel not carbon, and steel is relatively forgiving. Oh, one other thing. I had someone helping me with this, mostly to make sure I was thinking things through before acting.... a kind of procedure monitor, is you will.
BSLeVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 10:46 AM   #6
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
I read Sheldon's website on how to spread the chainstays as I've been thinking about this....scared the bejeezus out of me. I'd be too intimidated to do this w/a nice frame; I would take it to a shop.
There's no guarantee that anybody in the shop has any more experience spreading chain stays than you do. On the other hand, having done several myself, it's usually not a big deal. 126mm to 130mm is only 2mm per side.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote