Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 08-25-08, 08:14 AM   #1
BSLeVan

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Yin & Yang of cycling

Yesterday I got both. As I was nearing the completion of my ride yesterday I came upon a woman walking her bike. She has been retired for a fair number of years and now rides over 5000 miles a year at about 8 - 10 mph. She had a flat on her new bike, and couldn't change it because there was no quick release on the rear. I stopped to help and within 3 or 4 minutes two other folks showed up, Between the three of us, we got her back on the road again. Now the neat thing was that in the few minutes we spent together the conversation flowed as if we had known each other for decades. It was a very pleasurable experience.

Upon arriving at home, I returned my mother's phone call. She was upset because a 12 year old was riding his bicycle in the alley behind her home at dusk two days ago. The kid ran into a support cable that was anchored in the ground to help hold a telephone/utility pole straight. He had a helmet on, but it was not on properly and came off before he hit the ground. My mother reported that today the doctors told the family that he may never regain consciousness. Very upsetting stuff.
BSLeVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 10:56 PM   #2
TruF 
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby
Wow. You weren't kidding about the yin and yang. I know that the goal is to embrace both stories equally because life is life and we torture ourselves with our judgments. But I can never fully buy into that Buddhist way of thinking. That second story just sucks.
Old 08-26-08, 06:05 AM   #3
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Sad story - and to think we all road for years without helmets.

I skiied for over 10 years without a helmet. The first year I bought one I took a fall on some bad ice, spun around and smacked my head hard. Even in the helmet I got my bell rung pretty good - but I was able to get up and continue. If I did not have the Helmet I would have been knocked out at a minimum. In the last three years I have had three crashes - two of them where I hit my head, one split the helmet. I never go out on the bike (or skis) without one now.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 08:04 AM   #4
leob1

Bikes:
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My wife always "talks" to kids about their helmets, or lack there of, if it is on wrong or not buckled. I always tell her to mind her own business, not our kids so their parents are responsible.
I think my wife is right.
leob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 10:32 AM   #5
jiminos

Bikes:
three things i have on every ride.... helmet... roadid bracelet.... focus...

i hope he recovers. thank you for stopping to help another rider.

be well,

jim
jiminos is offline   Reply With Quote