Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Yin & Yang of cycling

Yesterday I got both. As I was nearing the completion of my ride yesterday I came upon a woman walking her bike. She has been retired for a fair number of years and now rides over 5000 miles a year at about 8 - 10 mph. She had a flat on her new bike, and couldn't change it because there was no quick release on the rear. I stopped to help and within 3 or 4 minutes two other folks showed up, Between the three of us, we got her back on the road again. Now the neat thing was that in the few minutes we spent together the conversation flowed as if we had known each other for decades. It was a very pleasurable experience.

Upon arriving at home, I returned my mother's phone call. She was upset because a 12 year old was riding his bicycle in the alley behind her home at dusk two days ago. The kid ran into a support cable that was anchored in the ground to help hold a telephone/utility pole straight. He had a helmet on, but it was not on properly and came off before he hit the ground. My mother reported that today the doctors told the family that he may never regain consciousness. Very upsetting stuff.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. You weren't kidding about the yin and yang. I know that the goal is to embrace both stories equally because life is life and we torture ourselves with our judgments. But I can never fully buy into that Buddhist way of thinking. That second story just sucks.
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad story - and to think we all road for years without helmets.

I skiied for over 10 years without a helmet. The first year I bought one I took a fall on some bad ice, spun around and smacked my head hard. Even in the helmet I got my bell rung pretty good - but I was able to get up and continue. If I did not have the Helmet I would have been knocked out at a minimum. In the last three years I have had three crashes - two of them where I hit my head, one split the helmet. I never go out on the bike (or skis) without one now.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife always "talks" to kids about their helmets, or lack there of, if it is on wrong or not buckled. I always tell her to mind her own business, not our kids so their parents are responsible.
    I think my wife is right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    three things i have on every ride.... helmet... roadid bracelet.... focus...

i hope he recovers. thank you for stopping to help another rider.

be well,

jim
    Be in this moment.
    Do not seek the truth. Accept it.