Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cell phone in a pace line...

Yep, saw it today; ended up doing a double take to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. Six guys riding in a pace line with the guy in the next to last spot talking on his cell phone.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not be comfortable to continue riding if someone in my group was making a phone call at paceline speed. I would probably go off the front or just get out.

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a maroon!

My Bikes
    Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bluetooth headset or riding one handed?

Either way it's just plain wrong.... just for different reasons.....
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    I would not be comfortable to continue riding if someone in my group was making a phone call at paceline speed. I would probably go off the front or just get out.
    +1, If they were behind me I'd ask them to hang up. If they were in front, I'd fall back. That's really stupid. Almost as dumb as the idiot I saw riding an MTB on a technical single track trail........while talking on a cell phone. The advantage of that scenerio is the only person he could hurt was himself, well maybe some poor squirrel too.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'd be tempted to avoid that person, paceline or not...bike or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The human circus clatters and rattles along even in a pace line.........................................dumb and amusing all at the same time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    Bluetooth headset or riding one handed?

Either way it's just plain wrong.... just for different reasons.....
    One handed.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darwin will catch up to him evenutally - Unfortunately Darwin will also catch up to his associates dumb enough to ride with him.

My two riding buddies are Docs - many times we ride when they are on call. Both specialize in the kind of thing that getting to the ER on time is crucial. We sometimes don't stop if the phone rings but we do slow down a lot - no pace line. We will pull off the road at the most convienient spot. On days like this we are never more than 8 miles from the Hospital.

On a side note - on one occassion I was out with one of them, we had just pulled over because I had a flat tire. I also had no pump as I forgot it at home. Mt friend got the call and needed to get to the hospital right away and we both decided he was to go WITH his pump leaving me w/o the ability to repair the tire. Just as he pulled off and I was thinking about my next move a van pulled up, guy got out and said - "need to borrow a floor pump, got one in the back". Was the nicest Topeak floor pump I had ever used, I ordered one just like it the next day to replace my old Blackburn. Sometimes there is justice in this world.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JUst gotta say, FOOL! I cannot imagine what could have been that important, even considering the above
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    JUst gotta say, FOOL! I cannot imagine what could have been that important, even considering the above

How about a person in the ER with a ruptured aorta - survival is measured in minutes.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why would paceline riders be any different from normal traffic? The ratio seems about right with my observations. I don't expect people to sprout wings and a halo just because they have become a "cyclist".

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Why would paceline riders be any different from normal traffic? The ratio seems about right with my observations. I don't expect people to sprout wings and a halo just because they have become a "cyclist".
    In the paceline's I ride, we are moving 22 to 26 mph and riding about 1' apart. All it takes is someone to miss what is going on ahead and the potential for a pileup is there. It's usually the guy behind the guy not paying attention who ends up crashing. If a guy wants to take risks on his own, then so be it, but he shouldn't put others in a position due to his inattentive actions.

A couple of years ago I was doing a Sunday ride with my two boys. One son who was leading got a cell phone call and when he reached into his pocket to grab his phone he dropped it. I missed it but my other son, who was directly behind me, ran over the phone. I think that was a lesson learned.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    In the paceline's I ride, we are moving 22 to 26 mph and riding about 1' apart. All it takes is someone to miss what is going on ahead and the potential for a pileup is there. It's usually the guy behind the guy not paying attention who ends up crashing. If a guy wants to take risks on his own, then so be it, but he shouldn't put others in a position due to his inattentive actions.

A couple of years ago I was doing a Sunday ride with my two boys. One son who was leading got a cell phone call and when he reached into his pocket to grab his phone he dropped it. I missed it but my other son, who was directly behind me, ran over the phone. I think that was a lesson learned.
    So if someone needs to talk, they should drop the the back of the paceline.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I'm on the bike I am unavailable.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    So if someone needs to talk, they should drop the the back of the paceline.
    That might work if the call lasted 30 seconds or less, any longer and they are not "back". The best place would be OTB.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I'm on call. I will answer, but I'm riding alone, and usually not on a busy road. My choices are ride and answer the phone when on call, or don't ride. I prefer to ride.

What's fun is when I'm texting and riding about 30 Mph! Im kidding of course :-)
    Gary F.

2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
    2012 Specialized Crux Disc
    My bike page: http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
    Build a bike stand! http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it would be much smarter to wait until he's behind the wheel of his car doing 60mph before he makes that phone call.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy talking on his phone ia a paceline is an idiot. But the other guys in the paceline are bigger idiots if they didn't tell him to stop that and never pull such a stupid stunt again if he didn't want to be banned from the group.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post

On a side note - on one occassion I was out with one of them, we had just pulled over because I had a flat tire. I also had no pump as I forgot it at home. Mt friend got the call and needed to get to the hospital right away and we both decided he was to go WITH his pump leaving me w/o the ability to repair the tire. Just as he pulled off and I was thinking about my next move a van pulled up, guy got out and said - "need to borrow a floor pump, got one in the back". Was the nicest Topeak floor pump I had ever used, I ordered one just like it the next day to replace my old Blackburn. Sometimes there is justice in this world.
    I love a happy ending.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was out on the Platte bike path a few weeks ago, and some ---"n idiot who was talk'in and riding toward me with one hand swerved right at me just as we passed, just missed. I was going fast enough that by the time I recovered and got pizzed, it was to far to go back and yell...
    Bud

My Bikes
    Scott CR1-Gary Fisher Sugar-Litespeed Ultimate
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cone Wrench View Post
    What a maroon!
    Uhh.....is that worse than say,blue?...I'm not quite up on the different colors
    I'm not totally useless....I can be used as a BAD example.

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, the Maroons is the name of the athletic teams for the University of Chicago (and no not an alumnus). Nobody from that institution would ever be STUPID enough to pull such a boneheaded stunt. Recently wrote about other stupid pet trick that caused me to be involved in an accident in a paceline. Know who thou ridest with...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to cast aspersions on people of colour (how PC is that?) but my dictionary defines maroon as a "fugitve slave in the West Indies". I think this guy just escaped from the asylum ! Either that that's what should happen to him to some deserted island in the high Artic.
    Last edited by overthehillmedi; 08-26-08 at 05:46 PM. Reason: no spell checking done prior to posting

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next: a waterproof cellphone so we can talk while diving into the pool . . . banzaiiiiiiiiiii!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast