Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone use an inversion table for back pain?

I've been having lower back pain for the last 6 weeks. Cycling is, at best, a neutral activity - but seem sto make it worse most rides. Has anyone used an inversion table for back pain? Is it effective?
    I can probably spare $300 for a table - any recommendations.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, cycling isn't neutral. I have a muscle imbalance mostly from running. Cycling uses my hip flexors a lot and my glutes are proportionally weak. That makes my lower back and hamstrings compensate for the glutes and back pain results.

If you have problems, get a medical opinion before spending money
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried one at a yard sale one time. The lady had just divorced her Dr. husband. It looked expensive and she wanted $35 for it. I hung on it for a little while just messing around waiting on the wife. We left and as we drove home I couldn't believe how good my back felt. When we got home I said I should have bought that so we got back in the car and drove the 6 miles back and naturally it was gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think StanSeven is right. See a doctor (or maybe a chiro) before doing something like inversion. Those things seem dangerous to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one that I use every couple of days for 5-10 minutes at time, and I think it helps stretch out my back so I dont get any back pain. If you are having serious problems I would consult a doctor first. Another one of my friends who does other type of aerobcis, bought one also and she agreed that it seemed to help her for preventing back problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My doctor sent me to physical therapy for chronic low back pain. I learned lots of stretches, exercises &c. The ones that worked the best were the rowing machine and a 5" diameter stiff foam back roll. I bought a rower and a back roll, and use them regularly. Keeps the muscles all toned up and back pain is a thing of the past. While bike ridling is great exercise, it ONLY works the legs. The rest will go soft without some work. bk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After you get the back checked out, and you get the ok to do some exercise, then find a good yoga class. Go slowly and learn the moves and what your body needs and you will be much happier with less pain.

There are many people in yoga class that started because of back pain and tricky backs. They all tell me that yoga has really helped with their backs.

Good luck getting the back sorted out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an ongoing lower back problem strengtheng my core has worked best for me. I started off with isometrics (particularly plank excercise then moved on to doing crunches).Works pretty well for me. I also do stretches
    They might have all the watches but ive got the time

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my recent trip to Colorado, I shared a hotel room with a guy who had one. He liked it so much, he brought it with him.

Imagine the shock when this guy I never met before, comes into the hotel room with all this... erm... equipment.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that I need to build up core strength. A couple weeks ago I started back up on my non biking exercises. These include a Concept II rower (had to step back to 2,000 meters per session), crunches, push ups, pull/chin ups, dips, wall sitting, leg lifts, and some stretches. My back pain intensifies past 60 degrees on the leg lifts. Note - the back pain predates these exercises.
    I'm looking at some Symmetry back exercises from a biking book but it only has text. A couple of them were in a Mens' Health online article so I'm trying them. I have an exercise ball and I did enjoy some fit ball, yoga, and pilates exercises in sample exercise classes I took on a cruise. My schedule makes going to a class difficult.
    I have ordered a Teeter EP-550 Sport inversion table. I hope it will also make a difference.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had back troubles for years and my physical therapist recommended an inversion table. I knew a guy that had one and never used it...so I offered him 30 bucks for it.

It has been a great help. Any time my back is feeling a bit off a five minute hang on the inversion table sets it right. I also have worked very hard on my core strength and I'm sure that is way more important than the table. So a combination of strengthening and the inversion table worked for me.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My inversion table has done wonders for me. I hang on it three or four times a week and whenever I feel a little stiff. I have a couple of herniated discs and a little arthritis. The last time I pinched the sciatic nerve I bought it and was pain free in just a few days instead of several weeks as was the usual for me. As usual YMMV, good luck.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually. ©
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I end my non-cycling exercises by using my inversion table. If your back issues are caused by the usual cratered discs which just don't leave enough space between vertebra, inversion tables are wonderful devices.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

inversion conversion

I can't see any problem with them if you don't overdo it. They aren't much different than hanging from behind your knees off the 'monkey bars' at the school yard or hanging from a chinning bar. I used the neighbors and my back felt great.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charles vail View Post
    I can't see any problem with them if you don't overdo it. They aren't much different than hanging from behind your knees off the 'monkey bars' at the school yard or hanging from a chinning bar. I used the neighbors and my back felt great.
    Exactly. What's nice about the inversion tables is that they make it easier than anything else to hang upside down. You don't have to do anything acrobatic, and you can very quickly get upright, upside down, or anywhere in between.

I should add the usual warning that inversion tables are not recommended for the obese, and there may be other medical conditions that would make you not want to use one. If in doubt, check with your doctor first.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inversion Table

I had chronic pain for years and in 2003 went to D.O. who had a new modality called spinal decompression using DRX-9000 technology (Google "DRX-9000"). MRI showed three lumbar bulges and the start of some arthritis. 12 months later I went from almost constant pain to occasional soreness when I overdo it.
    I have a Teeter Hang-Up for maintenance now and love it. Get the medical opinion first but try a doctor more familiar with DRX machines than surgical solutions. My doctor sees a lot of post surgical patients and helps them regain range off motion and alleviates pain.