Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Are you really in this generation?

How old would people perceive you to be?

For example, do you wear a baseball cap (bonus points +/- for backwards), a visor, a porkpie or fishing cap, a fedora or a cowboy hat. Perhaps you wear no hat at all.

Are you with the Borg and have a bluetooth attachment (bonus points for blinking lights), an i-phone, a credit card sized texting machine in a pocket, a holstered cell phone from some previous incarnation or perhaps a 3 watt bag phone with plug in whip antenna?

Do you wear sandles, crocs, sneakers (bonus for high top), loafers (bunus for penney) or wingtip shoes?

Would we see your underware sticking out of the top of your jeans, are you a plumber or do you have suspenders or bib overalls. For that matter, do you wear jeans or is it all myrical fabric for you?

When you enter the LBS is your first stop in the Carbon Road section, The Full Suspension MTB section, The older used bikes in the back of the store section, the Downhill 40lb 12" travel section, the BMX section or some other?

Is your helmet primarily Silver/grey (pink fits into this catagory for the ladies), Red, Black, Flat black with round holes instead of slots or invisable?

Do you wear T-Shirts........have they got nasty slogans on the front? Perhaps sweatshirts (bonus for hoodies indeterminate at this time), or button down collar shirts. Can you still wear no shirt, hold a can of beer and wave at others with a straight face?

See where the generation gap really lies.
    Just take it

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never wore a hat except when I was in the Marines- but bike rides and a cotton cycling cap worn back to front. Mainly to stop scalp burn/ or to keep it warm/ or tp stop sweat running down the face/ or to keep the sun out of my eyes at PIE stops.

Whats Bluetooth? Blue tongue is appearing in cattle over here- but I don't want to stop smiling on the rides.

Crocs definitely.

You wear underwear?

LBS and it is definitely the Wheel section. I have enough bikes- but have a spare pair of Aksiums that may fit onto a Cyclo-Cross if I can get the frame at the right price.

One silver helmet and an Anthracite and more slots than material in the front- Never looked at the back of the helmet

Do wear T's but they have to be quality ones. Animal-No Fear-Nike are the favourites.

No beer- but a good cognac or Bottle of Cote du Rhone and I am happy.

Whats this generation Gap? Has it got a hill in it?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No hat, except when sailing or at the beach.

I barely have a cell phone. I wish to hell it were analog, because AT&T coverage is so bad. All, in all, I miss pay phones - much more convenient, and they usually worked.

Sperry Topsiders for casual; wingtips otherwise.

I don't own any jeans.

I look at European utility bikes.

Blue, with sort of slots.

Button down collar shirts.

Paul

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to style with a lime green leisure suit complemented with a white belt and saddle shoes. The only problem is that my natural good looks combined with my incredible fashion sense seems to intimidate the ladies. They're so awestruck that they avert their eyes every time I come around.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at work... shirt, tie, slacks and birkenstocks.

at home... baseball hat or skully; oakley's; adidas, asics or nike running shoes; jeans or cargo shorts; nasty old t-shirts and hoodies; bluetooth; mp3 player;

riding... full kit (brightest possible colors i can find - except for 50+ jersey); nuclear yellow skid lid; no phone; no radio; no mp3; no freddin' round here.

at the LBS... don't really have one, but when i go to the city i usually go to the road section first, then the MTB section... then the "goodies" section...

it is a rare occasion when somebody from work recognizes me away from the office.... but it's been that way all my life.... the job is the job.... the rest is my time....

be well,

jim
    Last edited by jiminos; 08-28-08 at 05:05 PM.
    Be in this moment.
    Do not seek the truth. Accept it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm old enough that I no longer worry about whether I appear to be cool, or in style, or whether I own the latest gadgets. I'm just me, trying to get by, day by day, and enjoying life, to the best of my ability.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we going to get an answer on where we stand at some point? I believe I know what generation I belong to. “Boomer”

1. Unless I am riding I wear a baseball cap or a modified bush hat. I live in the desert and the sun is a killer without a hat.

2. Blue tooth and a Holstered smart phone.

3. Everyday wear, Nike, New Balance, and Asics Cumulus. Long pants situations I wear Bass casual shoes and Rocksports. I do have one pair of wingtips in case someone is getting married or dies.

4. I doubt if you would ever see my underwear over the top of my Levis. I wear cargo shorts when it is hot and Levis when it is cold. For a casual dinner I wear Geoffrey Bean. When I bike I wear Bibs unless I am on a dirt trail I then I wear cargo shorts. At least for now.

5. I go to the accessory section. I try and stay away from temptation.

6. Silver Grey. Long slots.

7. Yes I wear T-shirts. Some plain some with pictures and a few with words. Normally picked up on my travels or sporting events. One classic Doors T from the Cow Palace. Van Heusen for dress and casual wear.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am my own generation.

I usually pay no attention to these things. Of the things that you listed, I have no idea what any of them would "say" about someone.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baseball cap - bill to the front - only when out in the sun for extended periods of time (doing the job that my hair used to).

Blackberry & Bluetooth required by and paid for by work. I pay little attention to them evenings or weekends.

Sneakers, cycling shoes and flip flops in that order.

Jeans, shorts and cycling shorts in that order.

Discount/closeout table.

Commuting helmet is gray w/ visor, road helmet is red, gray & black w/o visor. Both have slots.

Polo shirts at work. T Shirts (no nasty slogans), jerseys/wicking Ts for riding and Hawaiian shirts when I dress up.

And I have no problem wearing no shirt, holding a can of beer and waving at others with a straight face if I'm on the back of a boat (somehow, that's the only place it feels appropriate).

My Bikes
    2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure how these questions add up. However, I know which side of the generation gap I'm on. Today I used a picture of Clyde Crashcup (that's Crash for Crash and Cup for Cup) in a powerpoint slide about one inventor taking credit for another's invention. No one recognized him.

Hat: usually none, sometimes a bush hat (safari hat? crushable hat with a brim) in the rain or the garden.

Are you asking about those cockroaches people wear in their ears now? No way. I have a cell phone somewhere but don't try calling me on it.

Sandals. I forget what I wear in the winter.

Jeans is a miracle fabric--they hold the tummy in better than most pants.

I don't think there is a Carbon Road section in any LBS I'm allowed into.

My helmet looks like half a shiny blue bowling ball, with a few slits in it. But I just ordered a new one because no packages had come for me in almost a week.

I wear an endless array of T-shirts purchased at student group fundraisers or as souvenirs from vacations and protest rallies. My favorite: We Have Determined That Your Whole System Sucks, from Rage Against the Machine.
    Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pre-Boomers

There are some of us (well at least me) in the 65+ generation who sometimes are left at a loss by the discussions of the nearer 50 crowd.

I.e., I've never tried MJ, don't know hardly any of the musical songs thrown out (I mean, I am of the Peter, Paul and Mary and the Kingston Trio generation), we didn't drink much, if any in college, etc., etc.

HELP - I REALLY need a 65+ forum.

As far as the questions asked by maddmaxx, mostly I am a bit clueless.

I wear a full brim hat.

I bought one of the very first 3 watt cell phones, but have progressed far beyond that, but not to the bluetooth (although my phone is equipped with BT), and no IPhone, etc. What is a Borg?

I generally wear a modified sandal-like thingie - sort of a cross between flipflops and crocs

Sleeveless shirts as much as possible.

Helmet color is whatever was on sale - preferably closeout - at Nashbar.

Heck, I think I will end it right here - I wouldn't want to give you folks any more ammunition!

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I've never tried MJ, don't know hardly any of the musical songs thrown out (I mean, I am of the Peter, Paul and Mary...generation)
    And what do you expect us to believe you were doing when they were singing "Puff the Magic Dragon?"

You aren't *that* old!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    And what do you expect us to believe you were doing when they were singing "Puff the Magic Dragon?"

You aren't *that* old!
    I hadn't a clue.

I had a friend in high school who claimed he was undercover on an investigation of someone using MJ. Hey, THAT was a BIG deal!

The "now retired" Old Guy Ed in GA's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wear a baseball cap when working in the yard. Othewise, I wear a Western Hat.

I have a Bluetooth to use with my holstered Motorola Krzr.

Wear Florshiem Loafers for work. New Balance sneakers for causual. Nocona Western Boots everywhere else.

Underwear showing outside my Jeans? Never. Bib overalls to work in the yard. Dockers for work. Wranglers for everything else.

Carbon Road section

Silver gray. Matches my hair.

T-Shirts, Golf Shirts and .... No!
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I.e., I've never tried MJ, don't know hardly any of the musical songs thrown out (I mean, I am of the Peter, Paul and Mary and the Kingston Trio generation), we didn't drink much, if any in college, etc., etc.
    You were in college in the early 60's, didn't see any MJ and very little drinking?

I guess that is still true at places like Brigham Young University, which always finishes dead last in the Princeton Review Party School rankings.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 Baseball hat
    2 Smartphone, bluetooth, internet and email
    3 I have always worn converse Lowtops but I doo have a pair of high montone blacks. I have never owned Nyke anything
    4 Sorry underwear is under
    5 Road definitely road allthough I ride a hybrid
    6 No helmet , yet , looking for why some people look like dorks.. others look cool
    7 Have collection of t shirts and looking for good bike ones.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    You were in college in the early 60's, didn't see any MJ and very little drinking?

I guess that is still true at places like Brigham Young University, which always finishes dead last in the Princeton Review Party School rankings.
    No, I was in college in the late 50's, mostly, graduating in '61.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I was in college in the late 50's, mostly, graduating in '61.
    Being in college in both 1960 and 1961 more than qualifies as having been in college in the early 60s.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Being in college in both 1960 and 1961 more than qualifies as having been in college in the early 60s.
    The majority of my college time was in the 50's.

Yes, I was in college in the 60's, but we have to use a modal approach here!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The majority of my college time was in the 50's.
    Did you have to wear a beanie?

Or carry senior class student's books?

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How old would people perceive you to be?
    Most people perceive me to be a little bit younger than my actual age. I'm not your typical 65 year old great-grandmother.
    For example, do you wear a baseball cap (bonus points +/- for backwards), a visor, a porkpie or fishing cap, a fedora or a cowboy hat. Perhaps you wear no hat at all..
    I keep a baseball cap in the car for those times I can't control the curls after a ride. I seldom use it.

Are you with the Borg and have a bluetooth attachment (bonus points for blinking lights), an i-phone, a credit card sized texting machine in a pocket, a holstered cell phone from some previous incarnation or perhaps a 3 watt bag phone with plug in whip antenna?.
    No bluetooth. I'm heading to the store tomorrow to upgrade my cell phone to a Palm Centro.

Do you wear sandles, crocs, sneakers (bonus for high top), loafers (bunus for penney) or wingtip shoes?.
    I wear sandals, crocs and low heels. I own sneakers but seldom wear them. I probably wear my cycling sandals more than regular shoes in the summer

Would we see your underware sticking out of the top of your jeans, are you a plumber or do you have suspenders or bib overalls. For that matter, do you wear jeans or is it all myrical fabric for you?.
    My underwear does stick out above my jeans....but the jeans fit below the waist and they're always covered by my top

When you enter the LBS is your first stop in the Carbon Road section, The Full Suspension MTB section, The older used bikes in the back of the store section, the Downhill 40lb 12" travel section, the BMX section or some other?.
    I head straight to the clothing section of the LBS. I can't afford another bike

Is your helmet primarily Silver/grey (pink fits into this catagory for the ladies), Red, Black, Flat black with round holes instead of slots or invisable?.
    The helmet I wear most often is yellow. I also have red and black.....can't let the helmet clash with the jersey/jacket They all have plenty of slots.

Do you wear T-Shirts........have they got nasty slogans on the front? Perhaps sweatshirts (bonus for hoodies indeterminate at this time), or button down collar shirts. Can you still wear no shirt, hold a can of beer and wave at others with a straight face?.
    I wear dress T's to work. My other t-shirts came from cycling events. I do have one that has this saying on it and I wear it often - "You may call them gray hairs - I call them stress high lights".

I'm tempted to buy one with "I don't give a rats *****" on it and wear it to work. Retirement can't come soon enough - 39 days to go!!!

I've never had the occasion to go shirtless, hold a can of beer and wave at others - yet

=============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So many question, so little time, however, for what it's worth, I'm sittting here reading a 50+ thread and I've got Sinatra on the stereo.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dislike hats (they make my head feel hot) so I wear a visor.

I have a cell phone that's 3 years old and needs a new battery. Nothing fancy but it does have a camera and lots of options I've never used.

I wear running shoes or Keen shoes every day, and I go barefoot at home. I wear "real" shoes a few times a year, on special occasions.

I wear jeans almost every day except on non-work days when I wear cotton capris in hot weather. At home I wear lounge-around-the-house capris and a color-coordinating t-shirt.

At the LBS I head for the latest bikes, then the clothes, mostly socks. I like cute bike socks.

My helmet is hot pink with white tropical flowers. I left the visor on because the Take-a-Look mirror doesn't fit on the arm of my sunglasses.

T-shirts at home, sweatshirts in winter -- my favorite being red with a hood.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I LOVED Clyde Crashcup! I had an art teacher in high school that looked just like him! Nobody remembers him (or Leonardo, his assistant) but I can still hum their theme song!

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ball cap bill front except when shooting a *****, hardhat at work or sombrero
    Blackberry need it for work, no bluetooth
    jeans in the winter, too hot in the summer
    leather boots (manly footwear), sneakers. no roman sandals or crocs
    keep my drawers to myself
    if there are used bike at a shop that's what I look at first
    road helmet is blue and white, mtb is a tan skater type(I frequently crash)
    t-shirts when not working or taking my wife somewhere fancy enough to require a sport shirt, only 1 semi nasty "If You Don't Like Hank Williams, you can Kiss My ***"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast