Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike adventure in a Ford Van / N+1

The wife and I made a vacation like day trip out of buying a used bike. We started out by having a leisurely breakfast at our local diner, which is always a treat. French toast and sausage links are always a great way to start any day. Then with our hunger satisfied we headed south towards the Finger Lakes Region of New York State. On the way, there was the obligatory stop in East Bloomfield for some antique shopping. No buying, just shopping. We literally spend entire days wandering through antique shops. Itís probably a good thing that we havenít the money to actually make purchases or weíd need a much bigger house.

The next stop on our itinerary was Hammondsport, deep into wine country of the Finger Lakes area. The drive there is most enjoyable and generally free of much traffic. Hills, drumlins and lakes and lots of trees keep the scenery visually appealing. Believe it or not, the leaves are already starting to turn color back on some of the higher hills, as they are in the Adirondacks also. I hear itís due to the trees being stressed from the unusually copious amount of rainfall theyíve been subjected to. Hereís a quick picture of Canandaigua Lake from one of the scenic overlooks.

Though the picture doesnít show it very well, it was a crisp, clear low humidity day with temps in the low 70ís. Absolutely beautiful. Hammondsport, at the southern tip of Keuka Lake is one of our favorite destinations. We did some more Antique shopping, had a great lunch and of course had some Ice Cream at the Ice Cream Parlor. We try to come down this way at least once every year, itís that enjoyable.

Now for the Bike part of the day. 65 miles to the southeast on the Southern-tier expressway was waiting for me the final objective of the day. A slightly used Volae Tour, SWB recumbent at a fair price was being sold by an active recumbent enthusiast.
    We spent a little over an hour at his house as he patiently helped (I watched) me get the bike adjusted to my body proportions. Several test rides and adjustments and I was the proud owner of the Volae. You may remember that a few weeks ago I got caught in a severe hailstorm causing a lot of damage to my Van. The insurance man cut me a check and after getting a lot of professional advise I chose to pocket the check and live with the damage. Well, that check and $46 dollars bought me the bike. Pardon the pun but the hailstorm turned into quite a windfall. Here are a couple of pics of the bike as it sits today. Iíll post more after I set it up for my needs, mirror, rack, fenders and such. Yes, it has platform pedals for now. When I get rich Iíll venture into that area so many of us wonder about and most of us venture into eventually. Clipless pedals and shoes.

Happy Trails

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome day, awesome scenery and awesome bike! Doesn't get better than that. I have neighbors who live summer in the finger lake region and winter here on the west coast. That is some gorgeous country back there.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooooo .... platform pedals!

Soooo beautiful.

That does sound like a nice day. What are your intentions for the bike?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    What are your intentions for the bike?
    Not really sure yet Tom. I think I'll just take some time to get
    to know her first and I'll take it from there.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a perfect ending to a glorious trip----Except for the recumbent bit

Have tried them but they are not for me. From my experience of a couple of hours of trying to ride one- I would suggest staying with the platforms until you are fully competent on this bike.

But then if you had been talking a recumbent Tri Tandem---That was one bike I did enjoy. Till we got to some stiff corners. Didn't roll the thing but Seeing 6" of daylight under a wheel did not give me confidence.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Ooooo .... platform pedals!

Soooo beautiful.

That does sound like a nice day. What are your intentions for the bike?
    Out on a limb here I know, but I'm guessing he's gonna wear the tires out on it.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the photo of Canandaigua Lake. I grew up not far from there and spent a lot of weekends out on the water. It's easy for forget how beautiful that part of western NY is.

And congrats on the interesting new bike. Looking forward to hearing how you like it.

My Bikes
    K2 "Big Easy Deuce" 21s MTB/Cruiser hybrid. Huffy "Belfort" SS rat bike (Kept in truck bed for emergencies.)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    Not really sure yet Tom. I think I'll just take some time to get
    to know her first and I'll take it from there.
    Buy her a few drinks and.... wait... are we talking about a girl here?
    ~~~
    Namaste, y'all
    Rick

Life is a foreign language; All men mispronounce it.
    ~Christopher Morely

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First 'bent? Very nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    First 'bent? Very nice.
    Thank You. It's my third actually. Eleven months ago I bought
    a Sun EZ Sport, this past Spring a used EZ Tandem and now this
    SWB Volae. I guess I've got a 'bent for every occasion now!

Happy Trails
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 09-02-08 at 01:56 PM.