Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone use an inversion table for back pain?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-08, 05:49 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've been having lower back pain for the last 6 weeks. Cycling is, at best, a neutral activity - but seem sto make it worse most rides. Has anyone used an inversion table for back pain? Is it effective?
I can probably spare $300 for a table - any recommendations.
Old 08-26-08, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
To me, cycling isn't neutral. I have a muscle imbalance mostly from running. Cycling uses my hip flexors a lot and my glutes are proportionally weak. That makes my lower back and hamstrings compensate for the glutes and back pain results.

If you have problems, get a medical opinion before spending money
Old 08-26-08, 07:10 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tried one at a yard sale one time. The lady had just divorced her Dr. husband. It looked expensive and she wanted $35 for it. I hung on it for a little while just messing around waiting on the wife. We left and as we drove home I couldn't believe how good my back felt. When we got home I said I should have bought that so we got back in the car and drove the 6 miles back and naturally it was gone.
Old 08-26-08, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think StanSeven is right. See a doctor (or maybe a chiro) before doing something like inversion. Those things seem dangerous to me.
Old 08-26-08, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one that I use every couple of days for 5-10 minutes at time, and I think it helps stretch out my back so I dont get any back pain. If you are having serious problems I would consult a doctor first. Another one of my friends who does other type of aerobcis, bought one also and she agreed that it seemed to help her for preventing back problems.
Old 08-26-08, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
My doctor sent me to physical therapy for chronic low back pain. I learned lots of stretches, exercises &c. The ones that worked the best were the rowing machine and a 5" diameter stiff foam back roll. I bought a rower and a back roll, and use them regularly. Keeps the muscles all toned up and back pain is a thing of the past. While bike ridling is great exercise, it ONLY works the legs. The rest will go soft without some work. bk
Old 08-27-08, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After you get the back checked out, and you get the ok to do some exercise, then find a good yoga class. Go slowly and learn the moves and what your body needs and you will be much happier with less pain.

There are many people in yoga class that started because of back pain and tricky backs. They all tell me that yoga has really helped with their backs.

Good luck getting the back sorted out.
Old 08-27-08, 02:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an ongoing lower back problem strengtheng my core has worked best for me. I started off with isometrics (particularly plank excercise then moved on to doing crunches).Works pretty well for me. I also do stretches
Old 08-27-08, 02:33 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
On my recent trip to Colorado, I shared a hotel room with a guy who had one. He liked it so much, he brought it with him.

Imagine the shock when this guy I never met before, comes into the hotel room with all this... erm... equipment.
Old 08-27-08, 05:15 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I agree that I need to build up core strength. A couple weeks ago I started back up on my non biking exercises. These include a Concept II rower (had to step back to 2,000 meters per session), crunches, push ups, pull/chin ups, dips, wall sitting, leg lifts, and some stretches. My back pain intensifies past 60 degrees on the leg lifts. Note - the back pain predates these exercises.
I'm looking at some Symmetry back exercises from a biking book but it only has text. A couple of them were in a Mens' Health online article so I'm trying them. I have an exercise ball and I did enjoy some fit ball, yoga, and pilates exercises in sample exercise classes I took on a cruise. My schedule makes going to a class difficult.
I have ordered a Teeter EP-550 Sport inversion table. I hope it will also make a difference.
Old 08-27-08, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had back troubles for years and my physical therapist recommended an inversion table. I knew a guy that had one and never used it...so I offered him 30 bucks for it.

It has been a great help. Any time my back is feeling a bit off a five minute hang on the inversion table sets it right. I also have worked very hard on my core strength and I'm sure that is way more important than the table. So a combination of strengthening and the inversion table worked for me.
Old 08-27-08, 06:51 PM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My inversion table has done wonders for me. I hang on it three or four times a week and whenever I feel a little stiff. I have a couple of herniated discs and a little arthritis. The last time I pinched the sciatic nerve I bought it and was pain free in just a few days instead of several weeks as was the usual for me. As usual YMMV, good luck.
Old 08-27-08, 08:32 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I end my non-cycling exercises by using my inversion table. If your back issues are caused by the usual cratered discs which just don't leave enough space between vertebra, inversion tables are wonderful devices.
Old 08-29-08, 10:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
inversion conversion

I can't see any problem with them if you don't overdo it. They aren't much different than hanging from behind your knees off the 'monkey bars' at the school yard or hanging from a chinning bar. I used the neighbors and my back felt great.
Old 08-30-08, 01:55 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by charles vail
I can't see any problem with them if you don't overdo it. They aren't much different than hanging from behind your knees off the 'monkey bars' at the school yard or hanging from a chinning bar. I used the neighbors and my back felt great.
Exactly. What's nice about the inversion tables is that they make it easier than anything else to hang upside down. You don't have to do anything acrobatic, and you can very quickly get upright, upside down, or anywhere in between.

I should add the usual warning that inversion tables are not recommended for the obese, and there may be other medical conditions that would make you not want to use one. If in doubt, check with your doctor first.
Old 08-31-08, 05:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Inversion Table

I had chronic pain for years and in 2003 went to D.O. who had a new modality called spinal decompression using DRX-9000 technology (Google "DRX-9000"). MRI showed three lumbar bulges and the start of some arthritis. 12 months later I went from almost constant pain to occasional soreness when I overdo it.
I have a Teeter Hang-Up for maintenance now and love it. Get the medical opinion first but try a doctor more familiar with DRX machines than surgical solutions. My doctor sees a lot of post surgical patients and helps them regain range off motion and alleviates pain.