Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool weather riding

The chill of autum will be upon us before we can turn around. All of my riding gear is for mild to hot weather. I'd really like to ride this winter as weather permits. Can any of you year rounders offer up any suggestions for a cool weather wardrobe? Thanks in advance, Lane Lp
    Last edited by Spinz; 08-29-08 at 04:16 PM.

My Bikes
    Litespeed, O'Brien, Specialized, Fuji
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep a little chart next to my stuff with temperature ranges and what I like to wear. Adjust for rain. Something like:

65 F and up, short jersey/shorts
    55-65 F, tights over shorts, long sleeve jersey or short jersey+arm warmers
    45-55 F, tights over shorts, long sleeve jersey+wind breaker jacket, fingered gloves, booties
    35-45 F, thermal tights, + fleece under jacket and thicker gloves, maybe earband/helmet cover.

So you can see I add thin tights (bibs), long sleeve jerseys and arm warmers, finger gloves, booties (neoprene), thermal tights, windbreaker jacket, and so on. Prepare to adjust layers as you go if you heat up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]TITANIUM BIKE CLUB #015

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Define "cool weather."

Your cool may be my warm. I've found that in the past with folks from warmer climates.

I generally ride with regular bibs, no leggins, regular jersey with light windbreaker to about 55F.

45 - 55F - no leggins, long-sleeved jersey with hood, warmer gloves, windbreaker.

Below 45 - leggins, jersey with hood, underjersey, wind breaker. 2 pair of socks (I use riding sandals year-round).

35 and below - Maybe 2 sets of leggins, long-sleeve jersey with hood and under jersey, a couple of windbreakers, even warmer gloves, skull cap.2 pair of socks (I use riding sandals year-round).

I don't do much below 32F.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had cool weather all summer- but the best thing to wear as the sun loses its heat is layers.

I always wear a wicking vest- summer and winter but on top of that it is a short sleeve top and then a long sleeve. My winter long sleeve is made of Roubaix material and was developed for the race of that name. Breathable- warm and a little bit of water proofing to it.

Main problem is the outer layer. If you plan on riding in the wet- then obviously a waterproof- preferably one that breathes- but if you want the best and have a big enough wallet- then go Goretex. Mine is now 10 years old- looks as good as new and is still as good as new- so has been a good investment. But I have 4 topcoats. The goretex and that gets used a lot over here. A Pertex and this is just a lightweight windproof. Not waterproof in any way but does keep the wind out completely. Then there is a Polaris smock that has a bit of warmth to it. Losing its proofing but is showerproof still. And I have a Nike showerproof that is just about that. It is a good coat for cooler rides though as it is also completely windproof.

But I find it is not the body that causes a problem. Feet and hands are my worries. Since I discovered sealskinz socks- I no longer have a foot problem down to freezing. They work so well that I bought the sealskinz gloves aswell. Then there are the Legs. I have a pair of Bib tights and they work when the rain is cold and sting the legs. Best for me though are a pair of Knickers. Bib shorts that cover the knees and keep them warm on even the coldest rides.

Only problem is that togged out for a winters ride on a cold wet day-I feel like the Michelin man.And that is not good for my image (That I no longer have so don't care)
    Last edited by stapfam; 08-29-08 at 03:59 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Litespeedlouie View Post
    I keep a little chart next to my stuff with temperature ranges and what I like to wear. Adjust for rain. Something like:

45-55 F, tights over shorts, long sleeve jersey+wind breaker jacket, fingered gloves, booties
    35-45 F, thermal tights, + fleece under jacket and thicker gloves, maybe earband/helmet cover.

So you can see I add thin tights (bibs), long sleeve jerseys and arm warmers, finger gloves, booties (neoprene), thermal tights, windbreaker jacket, and so on. Prepare to adjust layers as you go if you heat up.
    My "clothing chart" is pretty similar, 'cept I start wearing shorts at 60 F, wear kneewarmers instead of tights down into the upper 40s, and don't wear long sleeves above 50.

Also, IME, wool has a wider comfort range than synthetics (for example, my Smartwool "Rambition" jersey is comfortable from the high 40s to 80+), tends to be both more windproof and more breathable than synthetics (yeah, I know, that "can't be". But it is.), and insulates better when it gets wet. Suffice it to say that if I could wave a magic wand, and make every jersey in my closet into a "woolie", I'd do it, no hesitation. YMMV, especially if humidity's an issue where you ride.

Scott P
    Bend, OR

My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My range for cool weather rides will be stay home if its sub 45. What are your recommendations for tights,bibs, ect ect. The humidity here can swing to both extremes summer and winter.

If you were going to purchase one set of quality winter riding gear what would you get? Lp

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If was only going to ride above 45, I wouldn't worry about it - Just a long-sleeve jersey with a hood and warm gloves, warm socks and tights.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    K2 "Big Easy Deuce" 21s MTB/Cruiser hybrid. Huffy "Belfort" SS rat bike (Kept in truck bed for emergencies.)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinz@50 View Post
    Can any of you year rounders offer up any suggestions
    I've found that living in New Mexico helps.

(Although living above 5,000 feet doesn't always)
    ~~~
    Namaste, y'all
    Rick

Life is a foreign language; All men mispronounce it.
    ~Christopher Morely

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh Looking so forward to the few weeks of really nice cool dry fall riding weather. But cool weather ridingrequires a large saddle/handlebar bag so you can dress warm then shed as it warms up in the day. Smartwool is a god send for cooler weather.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The key to enjoying multiclimate riding is to create your own chart of what works for you and at what temps.

Here's one I created 3 years ago when I first faced this issue, and still refer to it when I'm not sure what to wear. Note you'll have to adjust for wind as well as temp

54+ gloves
    47+ light cover, long sleeve jersey
    40+ wind breaker, wind proof gloves
    35+ fleece layer under windbreaker
    28+ glove liners and bavaclava
    20+ goretek over pants
    colder, doesn't happen here, think I would drive and not ride

hope this helps
    Hi 'o Silver away

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Litespeedlouie View Post

I'm in Atlanta and here's what I wear.

65F and up: s/s jersey and bibs
    55-65: s/s jersey, arm warmers, and bibs. If it feels "cold" (humidity?, wind?) slip on some knee warmers.
    45-45: s/s base layer under shirt, l/s jersey or s/s jersey with arm warmers, knee warmers and bibs, wind vest as needed.
    35-45: l/s base layer undershirt, l/s jersey, tights or leg warmers with bibs, wind vest or wind jacket.
    20-35: l/s base layer undershirt, l/s jersey, tights and bibs, fleece jacket.
    below 20: ride the trainer.
    Last edited by RonH; 08-29-08 at 06:57 PM.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Below 65F, long sleeve jersey & shorts
    Below 55F, long sleeve jersey, vest & shorts
    Below 45F, it doesn't get below 45 here more than a couple of times a year and only in the middle of the night when I'm not riding

Specialized Sirrus LTD
    My Bikes
    Secialized Sirrus Ltd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The chill of autum will be upon us before we can turn around. All of my riding gear is for mild to hot weather. I'd really like to ride this winter as weather permits. Can any of you year rounders offer up any suggestions for a cool weather wardrobe? Thanks in advance, Lane Lp
    A Merino wool long sleeved golf shirt is a versatile addition to one's wardrobe, good for fall golf and cycling.

My Bikes
    Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fall means that it changes more during a typical day so you need to go out armed for a wider range of options than in summer or winter. A wind proof shell for if it gets suddenly really cool, a sweat shirt for a moderate chill and some light rain pants just in case.
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still warm in southern AZ . . . mid-90s this week.
    That's cooler than mid-summer 110 but warmer than low 70s in winter.
    Is that cool not?

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year was the first Fall/Winter I commuted all winter here in Seattle...through rain and cold.

Coldest commute I did was 25 degrees and dry. Typical winter commute in Seattle is 35 to 37 degrees, and precipitation ranging from light drizzle to heavy-ish rain. I try to avoid commuting through really heavy rain but would occasionally get caught.

So cool weather riding here means getting ready to ride in cold rain, which means:

- fenders
    - rain cover over helmet
    - skull cap under helment, or better yet a little cap under the helmet with a bill that keeps the rain out of your eyes.
    - *my secret weapon* is a pair of Specialized Defroster Mountain Bike boots, $160. Waterproof, windproof, insulated....I wear them whenever it's lower than 42 degrees. *much* nicer than dealing with booties.
    - full finger Specialized gloves down to 32; heavy-duty Peformance winter gloves below that.
    - Goretex rain jacket.
    - on really cold days I'll wear a face mask too.

I also have a pair of rain pants but *hate* them because of the noise they make; but they are effective in keeping out rain. Unless it's pouring, though, I'm just as happy wearing tights.

To keep warm on top I wear synthetic undershirt as base layer and Goretex jacket on the outside. In between, I wear a variety of layers depending on how cold it is -- I will grab anything from a bike jersey to a wool jersey to a cotton turtleneck to fleece. I think on the coldest day LY I wore 4 layers: synthetic undershirt, wool jersey, fleece jacket, Goretex outer layer.

To be honest I really enjoyed commuting through the winter...I probably over-dress because I hate being cold, and usually I end up stripping off something once I get warmed up on the ride.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too early to think about this down here in the sun belt.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When cool weather strikes, we ride around in the pelts of those who talk about cool weather when its still summer...........

You can laugh at the Flat fairy but don't you bring cold weather here in the summer. Tom can handle that chore alone thankyou.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    When cool weather strikes, we ride around in the pelts of those who talk about cool weather when its still summer...........

You can laugh at the Flat fairy but don't you bring cold weather here in the summer.
    I'm contemplating a ride next weekend up to a pass in the Cascades where the night-time lows are forecast for 34 degrees and the day time highs are around 60.

When *we* ride up into the mountains, we wear the pelts of flat-landers who don't realize that just because it's sunny and dry at home doesn't mean you won't run into sleet, rain and cold at the top.

( I do, agree, though, it's early to be talking about cold weather -- it's unlucky, like talking about how to stop flats. Sure way to get a flat on your next ride).
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 08-30-08 at 11:19 AM.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    I'm contemplating a ride next weekend up to a pass in the Cascades where the night-time lows are forecast for 34 degrees and the day time highs are around 60.

When *we* ride up into the mountains, we wear the pelts of flat-landers who don't realize that just because it's sunny and dry at home doesn't mean you won't run into sleet, rain and cold at the top.
    You have a point......

Here's one other note for cold weather riding. Its reasonably easy to dress appropriately for the ride but remember that if the bike breaks, (flat, broken chain etc) you will need to have some emergency clothing around to protect your damp sweaty body for anything from a few minutes to an hour while you effect repairs.

My Bikes
    Basso, Tommaso, Ibex, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assos

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a point......

Here's one other note for cold weather riding. Its reasonably easy to dress appropriately for the ride but remember that if the bike breaks, (flat, broken chain etc) you will need to have some emergency clothing around to protect your damp sweaty body for anything from a few minutes to an hour while you effect repairs.
    This is where my pertex comes into use. With me on most rides and it packs up very small. It is surprising how many times we do a climb to the top of the hills- normally offroad- Get to the top all hot and sweaty. Then you carry on in the cool wind and you suddenly find yourself freezing. Pertex is windproof- weighs just a couple of ounces and works.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a point......
    BTW, is there anything more pathetic than aging bike weenie trash talk? I just couldn't help myself..

My Bikes
    Litespeed, O'Brien, Specialized, Fuji
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My range for cool weather rides will be stay home if its sub 45. What are your recommendations for tights,bibs, ect ect. The humidity here can swing to both extremes summer and winter.

If you were going to purchase one set of quality winter riding gear what would you get? Lp
    I'm not too hung up on brands, they're all workable. I think you'd want a Goretex-like jacket/shell, bib tights, full gloves (thickness depends on how cold your fingers get), booties, and a skullcap or earband. You can pretty much wear the summer stuff under it, even add synthetic long underwear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]TITANIUM BIKE CLUB #015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LL Bean Stowaway hooded parka and Stowaway rain pants. Grandoe ski gloves. Totes overshoes.

Wear them over your normal clothing. It takes about a minute to throw everything on and run out the door. Good to about 0 F.

Paul
    Last edited by PaulH; 08-30-08 at 01:03 PM. Reason: error

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast