User Tag List

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ever been totally clueless?

Sitting out drinking wine and looking at my "old" road bike today. It's a circa 1999 Specialized Allez Sport. I never have ridden it much as its just not comfortable, but I noticed today that the rear tire is a 700x25c, and the front is a 700x23c. Anybody else riding on 2 different size tires? I have been doing that for about 3000 miles on that bike. As the sole owner, it came that way too!
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It took you 9 years to notice the size difference?

I've never done it before, but I have a few friends who have different size tires, front and rear.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    Sitting out drinking wine and looking at my "old" road bike today. It's a circa 1999 Specialized Allez Sport. I never have ridden it much as its just not comfortable, but I noticed today that the rear tire is a 700x25c, and the front is a 700x23c. Anybody else riding on 2 different size tires? I have been doing that for about 3000 miles on that bike. As the sole owner, it came that way too!
    Look at the Continental Attack/Force pair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll notice an anomaly on a bike but not on most other things. Cars and houses can be really screwed up and I'll never know the difference, but a bike...I'm all over it.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything is skewed on 'bents: Mine have 20x1.35/20x1.5 and 20x1.5/26x1.5. (Don't see mismatched wheels on upright bikes much, do you?)

My Bikes
    Norco (4), Miyata, Canondale, Specialized, K2 Proflex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    It took you 9 years to notice the size difference?.....
    Well, he's never drank wine while pondering his bike I'd guess. Some wine does amazing things for your pondering abilities.....

I mounted up a 23 front and 25 rear on my new Redline SS. But I did it knowingly since these were the two tires that were fronts up to recently and were not all worn and cut up from being rears. See my post in Commuting on the ratio of front to rear flats to know how I ended up with two odd sized "fronts" on this bike. The old rear tires looked like jungle animals had been gnawing on them from the number of cuts and tears.....

Oh, and the bike is riding just fine with this combo. It's only a silly 2 mm's after all.
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, to the 25/23 setup. Claimed fewer flats as most flats seem to be on the rear wheel. Also Conti Attack/Force tires are different widths front & rear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just stop drinking or change brands 'cause ignorance is bliss.
    Now the size difference will bug you forever.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you get to always ride downhill with that combination. Me likey.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Never trust a smiling dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    Anybody else riding on 2 different size tires?
    28 rear, 25 front. Also been known to run 25 r and 23 f.
    Sometimes it's not a planned event but since I have a couple of spare wheelsets they may get intermixed with different tire sizes.
    Rigid mtb has different tires front and rear.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going back to mountain bikes- 15 to 20 years ago it was normal to run different size tyres. But the larger tyre was on the front. Supposedly this was to give better steering. That may work in the "Dry" winters of the US (There must be some bits that don't have too much winter rain)- but over here wide tyres do not work in mud. They skate over the surface of the gloop offering no grip and if I was going to lose traction, I always felt it was better to lose the rear tyre.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given that there are mountain bikes that have a 29" front wheel and 26" rear wheel, and many recumbents have have 16" on the front & 20" on the back or 20" on the front and 26" on the rear, I don't think your 2mm tire difference is much to be concerned about.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Norco (4), Miyata, Canondale, Specialized, K2 Proflex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stapfam, I seem to remember that too but it was in relation to sand as I recall. The wider tire floated over it easier and the rear didn't matter if it dragged its way through as long as it stayed behind the front end.

Around here the Shore guys use 26 fronts with around 2.35 to 2.5 inch and on the rear they like to go with 24's mouting 3.0 to 3.5 if they can shoehorn them into the rear frame area without rubbing. But they do it more for the impact absorbing on the bumps and only partly to lay back the steering angle for a little more stability when shooting down A line at Whistler (think of this as like falling off a mountain but riding a bike while doing so.... )
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    Stapfam, I seem to remember that too but it was in relation to sand as I recall. The wider tire floated over it easier and the rear didn't matter if it dragged its way through as long as it stayed behind the front end.

Around here the Shore guys use 26 fronts with around 2.35 to 2.5 inch and on the rear they like to go with 24's mouting 3.0 to 3.5 if they can shoehorn them into the rear frame area without rubbing. But they do it more for the impact absorbing on the bumps and only partly to lay back the steering angle for a little more stability when shooting down A line at Whistler (think of this as like falling off a mountain but riding a bike while doing so.... )
    Funnily enough I thought of sand as one of the possibilities of running a wide tyre on the front- but we don't have much of that over here. And sand would be a reason to run a wide tyre.

Staying on MTB's- I have always found it beneficial to use a tyre as narrow as possible. Less drag on the hardpack we have in summer and provided the tyre has enough knobbles on it- it will get enough grip in the gloop that gets on the trails in winter. This is dependant on ride comfort aswell- but there is a compromise between rider weight- comfort and width of tyre.

I am a lightweight at 150lbs so can run a narrower tyre than taller- well proportioned riders. I have carried over my MTB experience onto the road and use 23's as my only width of tyre. Roll well enough- have durability and do not cause me discomfort. However on a stiffer frame- I can see the reason for a wider tyre- even though I would not have to use one. But I also feel that if you feel the need to run a wider tyre on the rear of a bike-then you might aswell run the same size on the front. Main reason would be Rider weight being distributed evenly on the bike- but it also means that I only carry one spare tyre in my stock for the 3 road bikes I ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My girls used to tell me I was clueless...until they got old enough to know I was right all along.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For many years I ran a 23 on the rear and a 20 on the front, with no real problems and in fact still have two of my bikes set up that way.

On the two I ride most, however, I've gone back to 23's front and rear, just so I don't have to change so many tires around, so often, i.e. a slightly used rear becomes the front and the new tire always goes on the rear (but hey, that's just me).

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am clued in about my tires and they match. But as for the rest of life...:/
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer the titular question, I'd have to say yes. Mostly on a daily basis...

But my tires match. Is that a wash?

My Bikes
    Felt F3C; Colnago Masterlight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The original Continental GP Attack 700x22 front; GP Force 700x23 rear came only as a set. I liked them but I'm not sure that 1 mm made all the difference. Then again I've been clueless all my life - why change now?!

For you really over 50's, you might remember a cigarette that advertised itself as "a silly millimeter longer"...
    My other bike is an Adirondack Guide Boat.

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EastOfMidnight View Post
    snip

For you really over 50's, you might remember a cigarette that advertised itself as "a silly millimeter longer"...
    Sorta remember that. But I do know what LSMFT means.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I thought the thread title was

Ever been totally useless?

And the response, of course, would have been

Yes, all the time!
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EastOfMidnight View Post

Chesterfield 101's ?

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    Chesterfield 101's ?
    Benson and Hedges (if I spelled it right.) "America's favorite cigarette break" was one of their ad campaigns, which featured, among others, the semi-famous 'dismembered glove' hockey ad.