Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any 50+ reaction to this post?

DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I read the first page of posts before it went multi-page. I can't say that I haven't wished I had the chutzpah to do that, but in reality, I'm not that angry/stupid/vengeful/whatever.

Reading the vitriol made my head hurt, so I quit.

What's your take, D?
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    I read the first page of posts before it went multi-page. I can't say that I haven't wished I had the chutzpah to do that, but in reality, I'm not that angry/stupid/vengeful/whatever.

Reading the vitriol made my head hurt, so I quit.

What's your take, D?
    Well, the immediate gut reaction is to say "Yea!"

But the more considered reaction is this was not a good thing to do. I was interested in how many folks gave cheers for this, and I was sort of interested if folks 50+ would have generally the same positive reaction as most of the responders to the thread in the Road forum.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't impressed by his act. You do that to the wrong person and you get run over.

And if that guy regularly rides the same roads as you, then you won't know when it is coming.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My head hurts just wondering what's in that thread. I think I won't go there.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the feeling people these days are watching too much wrestling on TV. I couldn't even make it through the first page before boredom set in.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I wasn't impressed by his act. You do that to the wrong person and you get run over.

And if that guy regularly rides the same roads as you, then you won't know when it is coming.
    Exactly!
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's his life to waste
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you live in an area that the police take this stuff seriously, great, that is your best action. This cyclist appears to be in high school and knows these other high school kids. It is unlikely the cops in many Nebraska towns will take a high school kids complaint seriously. So what is his remaining options?

Drivers like this are bullies. I learned in elementary school and junior high that if you turn the other cheek, bullies keep coming back and punching you to prove how tough they are. I also learned that they are not tough, they are cowards. All you have to do is punch these bully cowards once and they leave you alone forever.

Now kicking the side view mirror was dumb. Most of them do not break off that easily, so the cyclist could have seriously hurt himself. I am glad for him that he got a weak mirror. The coward bullies in the car will never mention the incident again and they will never bother cyclist again.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did you ever have good luck with the bully at school when you yelled back "yeah and your mama too".

I have never been a fan of escelating violence, its just the begining of round 2. In the life mirrors fiction vein, "Be nice. Untill it's time to not be nice". Sometimes this is refered to as the Teddy Rosevelt doctrine and involves big sticks.

Remember, every angry driver that you bait is a hazard to all other cyclists. They will just wait untill a better opportunity or weaker prey appears.

License number and complaint to the police for first offense. Remember, in the case of the former ER doctor who brake checked and injured some riders, a complaint for a previous similar incident was the cement that glued the case together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figure some abuse by the car drivers is the price we have to pay. Its frustrating, and not fair (its also not fair that all that beer makes my belly rounder), but I try to live with it. Its better than being dead right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Idiot in car meets idiot on bike.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did have a guy holler at me one day and I saw him pull in his drive way about a block ahead. So I gave chase. I entered just as he was exiting his car (with his wife). I said " excuse me sir, I did not hear you clearly, would you care to repeate it?".. He was nervous but he replied "I said to 'get some color' ".

His wife replied "Yes-Thats what he said."

I was wearing a drab grey jersey, with black shorts. I thought about it and replied " Your correct, I understand, Thank you. " 'but I also added "Please allow me to give you advice, "Please be careful whom you shout at, not many folks are as understanding as I am".

BTW- He and his wife wave at me often when I pass their house, I wave back. Also BTW- I only wear that grey jersey when I'm on a trainer. I now wear only bright clothing.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't neccessarily believe all the things I read on this forum and this is one I will choose to think has a bit of fabrication in it but even at that, if it did occur it was stupid. The people in the car were probably drunk, drunks have no judgement and can be down right mean and dangerous.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross SportCannondale Road Warrior 500, Trek 7300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't fix stupid.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure he didn't make the whole thing up, but these cretins in cars are also a threat to others if you react to them.
    I mentioned to a jerk at a red light that he could have given me more room after he nearly clipped me. This sent him into a rage and he was so intent at yelling at me that he almost crashed into a hot dog vendor as he crossed the intersection. It was only his passenger who kept him from running down a bystander.
    Another time some brainless cowards in a diesel pickup revved the engine to smoke us out. My friend chased them after they were slowed by traffic and the punk ass driver almost ran over some kids in a crosswalk while making a right turn to get away. The kids had to jump back and they screamed at the bozo.
    Better to let it go most times.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any 50+ reaction to this post?
    Nope
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    It's his life to waste

I'm with SaiKaiTai - I wouldn't take such chances with my life and health.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I blow by doing 25, stick my foot forward, and ANNIHILATE their passenger mirror
    I'm also skeptical, based on the physics. The foot is forward and up above the level of the handlebars, and he's traveling 25 MPH. The mirror comes off without unbalancing the rider. Not going to happen.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    I did have a guy holler at me one day and I saw him pull in his drive way about a block ahead. So I gave chase. I entered just as he was exiting his car (with his wife). I said " excuse me sir, I did not hear you clearly, would you care to repeate it?".. He was nervous but he replied "I said to 'get some color' ".

His wife replied "Yes-Thats what he said."

I was wearing a drab grey jersey, with black shorts. I thought about it and replied " Your correct, I understand, Thank you. " 'but I also added "Please allow me to give you advice, "Please be careful whom you shout at, not many folks are as understanding as I am".

BTW- He and his wife wave at me often when I pass their house, I wave back. Also BTW- I only wear that grey jersey when I'm on a trainer. I now wear only bright clothing.
    You have class. And that's often what separates this forum from others. The "older and wiser" group.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured that there was a better than average chance it was fiction, but if not my reaction would be the two a-holes met on the road.

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, we'd love to see the instigators get their comeuppance, but these days that could get you shot, stabbed, run over, etc. Though I've never had things thrown at me, I've had cars do the close in brush off attempt, pull out intentionally in front of me from side streets, right hooks, left crosses, never tried to get revenge. I have hollered, gestured, and even followed them home to express my frustration / anger. But revenge, nope, tain't worth my life.

My Bikes
    2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It made me wonder what God was thinking when She left the boys in charge.
    Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As flimsy as a lot of side mirrors are nowadays, I can believe there are cars out there where it would be easy to knock one off. However on a lot of vehicles, those mirrors are fairly tough and would easily knock a bike sideways if anyone hit it solidly.

I can't imagine anyone being stupid enough, well, I guess I can imagine it, to try this. Therefore it seems likely that this is an exaggeration. However if it is true, then I predict a relatively short life for the OP as he is a future Darwin Award candidate.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    As flimsy as a lot of side mirrors are nowadays, I can believe there are cars out there where it would be easy to knock one off. However on a lot of vehicles, those mirrors are fairly tough and would easily knock a bike sideways if anyone hit it solidly.

I can't imagine anyone being stupid enough, well, I guess I can imagine it, to try this. Therefore it seems likely that this is an exaggeration. However if it is true, then I predict a relatively short life for the OP as he is a future Darwin Award candidate.

Or early death from sudden heart attack brought on by rage.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast