User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An old used Univega

During brunch with the bike group today, I mentioned my search for the next bike, something more upright than the Roubaix to use as an about-town commuter or take on slower rides. A man in our group offered his Univega. Steel frame, low-end Campy parts, and 20,000+ miles. It also has drop bars but I could swap those out. He offered to let me have it for $200.00 if I want it (if it fits), and he'll throw in the panniers for free.

He's available today and then will be on vacation for the better part of September and not available again until October.

What should I ask and look for on this bike? It could be a fun fixer-upper, or just the ticket for riding around town.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Ebay Bikes... =)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    200 !! You crazy?

Pics.
    Florida Velodrome Association.
    Big Wheel Cycles.
    CAT-2. Road Bike: 2011 Specialized Allez SRAM Apex. .. and yes, I am vegan.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No pics. I may take a run over to look at it today.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Ebay Bikes... =)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheesh.

what do you plan to upgrade on it?
    Florida Velodrome Association.
    Big Wheel Cycles.
    CAT-2. Road Bike: 2011 Specialized Allez SRAM Apex. .. and yes, I am vegan.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you ride it? Do you know if it fits you?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upgrade? Ride it? Fit? I haven't even seen it yet!

At this point, I'm looking for comments such as "I'd kill for any Univega, get it!!!"...... or to avoid certain models. For example, if someone asked me about a '66 VW Beetle and asked if they are worth even looking at for $200.00 if it runs and the body is decent, I'd say "GET IT!!!" because I know that car. I know nothing about vintage bikes or Univega in general.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Did you ride it? Do you know if it fits you?
    About the fit.... the man is slightly shorter than I am and said the bike is slightly too big for him. So, it's in the ballpark. But as I said, I haven't even seen it yet and all I know about it is what I've already posted.

If it fits, shall I commit?
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More info: It's a Univega Ital Sport, approx. 20 years old, he purchased it new. He said I'll be impressed with the good condition. I'm heading over shortly to see it. Any more comments/questions before I leave...?
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know anything about the bike but $200 sounds a little steep with that kind of mileage. Unless it's in really good shape I would think $100 would be more like it. eBay has several for less than $200.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually. ©
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Classic & Vintage forum would be a better resource. I see Univegas all the time on Craigslist. I believe the Ital Sport w/Campy was one of their better bikes. Most Univegas that I've seen go for $100-$150, but that model may go higher. OTOH, that is a very used bike.

It's not a highly sought after hidden gem but has its admirers.

I assume it has down-tube shifters? Have you ever riden with those? I'm not a fan of them.

The gearing may be pretty road-aggressive too. A lot of bikes from that era use double cranks of around 52/42. My mid-80s Panasonic has a 52/42 double with a 12-24 rear. Doesn't leave me many gears that I enjoy using.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A used bike is worth only what you want to pay for it. Univega/ Raleigh at one time was about the same bike. At least 10 years ago they were. Look at it and ride it and see what you think. I believe $200.00 is a touch high but I havenít seen the bike.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like it and want to ride it buy it, if you don't then don't. Don't fret over what anyone else tells you is my honest opinion. Unless you've turned into some sort of horse trader or something, that is more interested in $$$ than horses.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope -- too big. A tad too tall, and too stretched out.

Thanks all...
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What?!?!

You passed on that amazing deal!!??!

A once in a lifetime opportunity to get that special "only 50 ever made" rebadged handmade Colnago w/Campy that was sold as a Univega!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What?!?!

A once in a lifetime opportunity to get that special "only 50 ever made" rebadged handmade Colnago w/Campy that was sold as a Univega!!!

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What?!?!

Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a huge Univega fan. My first "good" bike was a Univega (1980), and so was my second (1983).

Here's a thread from C&V on Univega:

The Unofficial Univega Appreciation Thread!

Here's another:

What do you think of the Lawee Designed Univega's??

The owner of Univega created a bewildering number of models, so it can be tough to sort out what you're looking at when you find a used one for sale. The folks on these threads can be helpful.

A lot of their frames were made by Miyata, but the Univegas usually came in more interesting colors.

Ol' Paint
    My Bikes
    90s(?)Bianchi Advantage, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix, 80s(?) Raleigh Gran Sport mixte, '95 Schwinn Clear Creek, '88(?) Fuji, '69 Schwinn Flyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with BengeBoy as far as the older Ben Lawee bikes are concerned. They are, IMHO, a greatly underappreciated machine. It does sound like the Ital Sport you passed on was one of the better examples (but if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit). The Univega name went through a series of owners over the years and the quality of bikes has varied widely. I just rode the Hotter 'n Hell Hundred on an '83 Gran Sprint (which has become my favorite rider in the stable), and barely noticed the chip seal that I heard everyone else complaining about. Vintage steel has a sweet ride.
    "In my cathedral,
    colored glass holds no candle to
    sunlight through trees."
    -- Leon Briggs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a univega italsport I bought 7 years ago for $100. It had, perhaps, 5 miles on it. Original tires with no apparent wear.

Low end Campy of 25 years ago is nothing special compared to Japanese today. It isn't very collectible and the rear derailler isn't up to current standards.

One concern is that the higher end the bike is, the less friendly the gearing is for casual riders. Front chain ring is 52/42. The 42 is a non standard size so you can't go down. The rear free wheel is a 28/14. That older Campy derailler won't adjust to a larger one so you can't go up. I'm looking at replacing the whole crank set. If I lived in Iowa, it would be fine but here in San Diego, I can't get back out of the canyons.

I'm also looking at raising the bars but you can't go to far and still have an easy reach to the shifters on the down tube.

That said, I'm not selling mine.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Nope -- too big. A tad too tall, and too stretched out.
    You made the right call. A bike which does not fit you perfectly is no deal. Keep looking -- there are lots of good used Japanese bikes out there.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could have at least taken a picture.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what size do you need?

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    You made the right call. A bike which does not fit you perfectly is no deal. Keep looking -- there are lots of good used Japanese bikes out there.
    I am partial to Univegas for emotional reasons, but you can also look at Miyata, Centurion, Panasonic, Nishiki, Lotus, Sekai, Fuji...they all made different levels of bikes at different quality levels. You can dig around online or the C&V forum and figure it out, but if you look for double-butted tubes, frame stickers, and know something about the component groups, you can sort out which bikes are better.

And, of course, condition matters - a lot. These used bikes are outstanding values if you get a good copy, but if you have to immediately turn around and invest in new wheels and/or you don't like the paint job, you're running into significant dollars.

The West Coast was filled with these bikes, you should be able to find a good copy.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only experience with Univega was not a happy one.

15 years ago and my now son-in law bought a Univega Mountain bike. After about 6 months a lot of the parts had been replaced. Bottom bracket went tight on about his 4th ride-10 miles into a metric- Front derailler fell apart- wheels just fell apart. OK- Young rider giving it a lot of stick and I replaced the parts that had broken as the shop he bought it from said it was misuse. Then the Frame broke. Bottom bracket weld went and so it was back to the shop for warranty. We got nowhere.

Got in touch with Univega and not a good result. I could get a replacement frame for $250 but that was all they would do. So I sent them a letter with a copy of a letter to one of the Mountain bike Magazines that would be sent in 7 days. We had a very quick reply and got a new frame and forks out of them- and to compensate for the other parts already replaced- New crankset- bottom bracket and wheels.

We built up the bike and sold it immediately for a good price to the buyer. My son-in-law took over my Kona Explosif and I got the custom frame I had been hankering for.

And that "New" replacement frame----lasted 6 months before that broke.

Now that was 15 years ago-just before the group Univega belonged to bought out a lot of other well known names.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not really looking for a Univega. This bike was just offered to me by a member of our bike group when I mentioned that I'm looking for another bike to use as more of a utility/commuter/upright rider. I felt way too stretched out on it and there was NO clearance above the top tube. Sometime, if I can clear some of my other hobbies out of the way, I'd love to try fixing up an old used bike, tinkering with it as an extra bike and taking my time.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast