User Tag List

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I fix this bike?

I mentioned a few weeks back that a friend was going to give me his old road bike. Well it showed up and I am a bit disheartened. I was told this bike is an old Puch - but all the lables are gone. The steel on the bike looks in good shape but the paint is awful, looks like it might have been repainted - they guy had his name decaled on the bike. The brakes are old center pull Weinmanns, the shifters are suntour, the rear deraileur says Eagle on it and the front deraileur says spirt. There is a number stamped on the bottom of the bottom bracket housing but nothing that looks like a date and no name or model information. The frame is lugged with some what fancy lugs, there is a substantial rake to the front fork. Some chrome or nickle plating on the chain side chain stay but no where else visable where the paint is chiped - this looks like oxidized bare steel but not pitted with rust. The bike is kind of a puke green with pale yellow lugs. There is a cottered crank.

If I were to take on this "project" a complete paint job would be in order to stop any rust from growing. The bike was dry stored in a barn for what was probably 20 or 30 years.

My first thought on seeing this bike was - where is the nearest dumpster, but I would hate to send a vintage model to the crusher - but my gut tells me this ain't no vintage model, probably an old Sears bike, and I haven't got the time or money to throw away on junk. Advise please!
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to consider is the bottom bracket and headset. If they are French setup may cost a bit to replace. It kind of boils down to how much money you want to throw at the thing. A picture would help and I would also post this on the Classic forum for more response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    A picture would help and I would also post this on the Classic forum for more response.
    +1
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did open a thread on the vintage & classics

Here is the pic

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An Eagle rear deraileur, and Spirit Front deraileur, tells me it's probably a sears bike. Looks to be early 70's vintage.

It might be useful as a around-town bike, one that will not attract thieves. The shifting mechanisms on these are difficult to maintain and work hard. Your call, but I would suggest converting it to a single-speed.
    You'd be able to leave it places and it would be less likely to attract the attention of thieves and vandals.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always found that a lot can be told from thwacking my fingernail against the frame tubes. If it's got a bright hollow sort of "plink" to it that suggests thinner metal and a better than buttery temper then it's worth some effort. If it sounds like thumping a hunk of water pipe then it's not worth the effort. It helps to run around and thwack your finger on a lot of frames to develop a skill at the notes you get but it works pretty well.
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....

My Bikes
    Cannondale KV900 & Raven, Fuji cross, Bianchi cross/touring, Kestral 200, KHS montana setup for touring, dirt research
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keep it!!

My boss gave me an old Dawes road bike I'd guess from 1970s It looks cool. I put a new bottom bracket on it and some old ultegra components on it got some cross type tires and I ride it on the rail trail. It's fun. Not a great bike but it rides decently and it looks pretty neat. My vote is fix it up but don't restore it.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided it will get cleaned up and lubed and will then be placed on my trainer for indoor winter riding. I had fogotten all about winter riding - but it's just around the corner. This will save my MTB which usually gets strapped to the trainer in late Sept.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    I decided it will get cleaned up and lubed and will then be placed on my trainer for indoor winter riding. I had fogotten all about winter riding - but it's just around the corner. This will save my MTB which usually gets strapped to the trainer in late Sept.
    Good decision. I was about to suggest using it as a beater. From what I can see from the pic it looks like a low end department store bike not worth throwing money at.

I agree with BCRider's fingernail method of evaluating a steel frame.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Good decision. I was about to suggest using it as a beater. From what I can see from the pic it looks like a low end department store bike not worth throwing money at.

I agree with BCRider's fingernail method of evaluating a steel frame.
    I tried that - did it first on the simoncini - a nice high pitch ring (Columbus SLX tubing)
    Then tried it on the Puch - thud, the sound of old gas pipe. The Puch will be fondly referred to as the "Puke" so beater status it has. If I can clean/tune it up and make it ride well I may ride it in a classic bike ride next summer.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steyr-Daimler-Puch made a wide range of bicycles, from very basic, but competent, beaters such as yours to coveted high-end road machines, such as the Austro-Daimler Vent Noir. As the owner of two old classics from Vienna's Otto Cap Farhrad Und Metallwerk, I am an admittedly biased fan of Austrian bikes.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069