Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Birthday ride (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/460985-birthday-ride.html)

Kurt Erlenbach 09-02-08 12:19 PM

Birthday ride

Yesterday, 9/1/08, the anniversary of the start of WWII (9/1/39 - you remembered that, didn't you?), was also the 52d anniversary of my birth, which I celebrated with a 56.7 mile ride to and from the beach. Thanks to Hanna, the wind was blowing hard from the east, making for a slow, hot 20 miles out. The waves at the beach were huge, threatening to wash away any number of unsuspecting tourists. We're still dealing with flooding from T.S. Fay (I rode out SR 46 on Saturday, which has been closed for a week due to flooding on the St. Johns River, and the amount of water out there is mind-boggling), even though that storm has been gone for a week. Gustav even brought us some rain and wind last week, and today's look at the NHC website (that's the National Hurricane Center, a site every Floridian checks hourly in August and September) shows that Hanna will be right offshore in a few days.

I really hate hurricanes.

SKYLAB 09-02-08 12:46 PM

Not only slow and hot...but pretty muggy too I bet.

cranky old dude 09-02-08 12:52 PM

:bday::bday::bday:

Sounds like a great ride to me as you must have had apowerful
tailwind on the way home. I hope you survive the storms without
any damage or injuries.

Happy trails

stapfam 09-02-08 12:54 PM

Gonna give up on this forum at this rate. Too many people getting older every year.

Well done on making the ride in what does not sound the ideal weather.

But that just shows why this forum is so good. It's September-Must get out and ride.

Bud Bent 09-02-08 01:00 PM

Congrats, and happy birthday, Kerlenbach! We had an east wind from Gustav yesterday, and it's blowing a lot harder today.

10 Wheels 09-02-08 01:05 PM

Happy Birthday Kerlenbach:
I didn't know how old you were so I rode 87.6 miles.Winds from Gustav 20 mph with gusts to 28 mph.
Did great for 73 miles. The last 30 miles with headwinds and 91* temps completely cooked my old body.

Allegheny Jet 09-02-08 01:05 PM

Happy Birthday, and great way to celebrate it.

I'll be riding my bike 125 miles on Thursday to our cabin in Western PA to spend some time with a brother, from Denver, during his vacation. We will ride bikes together and fish in the Allegheny River for smallmouth and walleye. In the past fishing in the "aftermaths of hurricanes" has been great. Right now it looks as if we may get some "aftermath". I just hope the East winds don't pick up until I get my ride in and a few brews down.

doctor j 09-02-08 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kerlenbach (Post 7388241)
Yesterday, 9/1/08, the anniversary of the start of WWII (9/1/39 - you remembered that, didn't you?), was also the 52d anniversary of my birth, which I celebrated with a 56.7 mile ride to and from the beach.

I really hate hurricanes.

Happy birthday, Kerlenbach.

With regard to the great halitosis out of the Gulf, I concur. I hate them too!!!

BengeBoy 09-02-08 05:09 PM

Happy birthday!

Hope you guys don't get hit too badly; I have some business dealings in Fla. and I know it's always a mess to get ready, survive, recover, etc.

bb

George 09-02-08 05:51 PM

I'll ride a birthday ride for you, mines getting to be to long:D :bday:

Tom Bombadil 09-02-08 06:02 PM

Happy Birthday! I'm expecting at least 30 miles out of you every day this week, with up to date reports on Hanna - Up Close and Personal.

Red Rider 09-02-08 10:46 PM

:bday::bday:

Glad you were out and riding for the day, despite the weather. Hey, you want no hurricanes? Move to California! We have the added benefit of hills. :D

Congrats and I hope Hanna turns east.