User Tag List

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic Experience with Fellow Forum Member

Just had a fantastic experience with someone from this forum.

Simplygib is riding his bike from Portland to Sacramento, along the coast. He mentioned this here on the forum, and I suggested he stop by my house and spend the night.

Along the way, he's met up with several other cycling tourists, and I suggested that they all stop over. They did and we had a great time. Here we are eating dessert after a big dinner:

L to R:

Gary (Simplygib), who is blogging the entire adventure, entering all the text in his smartphone! You can read the whole thing here.

Mike and Jenna, who are on their honeymoon: riding their bikes from Vancouver to Chile (their blog)! Mike just finished his Ph.D. You can read about his research, about TV drug advertising, in next Tuesday's USA Today. He was doing cell phone interviews while on the trip. Mike and Jenna met while on solo bike tours across Canada.

Yours Truly + Ms. TromboneAl

Marisa aka "The Rocket" - She's from Germany, but speaks English with an Aussie accent. She's riding down to San Luis Obispo, at which point she'll hang a left and ride through Death Valley to Las Vegas.

A wonderful group, and we all enjoyed one another's company.

The next day DW and and rode along with them:

It was an unforgettable experience.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great experience.

With all those long distance cyclists in the house, it's a wonder if you have any food left at all.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cone Wrench View Post
    What a great experience.

With all those long distance cyclists in the house, it's a wonder if you have any food left at all.
    There was recently a program on the TV about a British rider that cycled round the world. I know you must eat and he was doing 100 miles a day for around 200 days- but he was eating 3 meals- straight after the other whenever he could. Something like 5,000 calories at a sitting so hope that Tromboneal had a big enough kitchen to cook for this lot.

Great to meet up with other riders-
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cyclists unite! It would seem that everyone had a wonderful and special experience. I'm guessing there will be more contact with that group in the future.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow ---- really cool mix of cycling folk. I'm sure there was some very interesting conversation around the table. Lane Lp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I envy such experiences. The look of your faces are those of people having a grand time. Thanks for sharing this rewarding experience with the rest of us.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post . . . good-looking group . . . fantastic coastal scenery pic . . .

And good luck to the travelers . . .
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact
    1982 Specialized Sequoia

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a crowd of heavy duty riders. I know if they were at my house, I might be talked into going, or doing some of the trip with them. Thanks for the post.
    George