User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50+ers and Hugs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50+ers and Hugs

Don't get me wrong...I love hugs but I am curious, when did all this hugging business start? Almost all my life no one hugged each other unless it was mothers hugging small children. Women sometimes hugged each other under certain circumstances. Men (gasp) never hugged each other lest they be arrested by the homophobe police. Men only hugged women if they were married to them or in a relationship with them.

Back in the 60's we had something like this going on briefly, but it was limited mostly to strung out hippies. The general public was way too uptight to ever hug another person and sneered at anyone who did.

Nowadays you see professional athletes hugging, politicians hugging, same sex/opposite sex, doesn't matter. My friends all hug each other, including me, and I'm lovin' it.

Your comments? And uh...

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep away from me! I sometimes hug members of my family and that is pretty much it. As my family consists of my wife and 5 daughters, I honestly cannot remember having hugged a man in my entire life. Nor a non-family member woman.

When I was young, my grandmother used to complain that I didn't hug her.

Just not a hugger, I guess.
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 09-03-08 at 10:34 PM.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hugging is pretty much regional I think. It is also a new evangelical movement. Men who are good friends and evangelical and secure in their masculinity may and often do hug both other men and women. People we see in manly sports like football and basketball, evangelical or not, and even in the Olympics seem to feel confident with hugging and not becoming romantically involved. I have even seen boxers and extreme fighters hug after a fight. It is no big thing. My son is 6’1” and is now serving in Iraq, for the second time. I am more than proud to hug him even in public.

However the new hug between men seems to be holding on to each other’s right hand as you bump your shoulders into each other. That seems to be less regional and practiced by more people evangelical or not. Just an observation

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hugging has been pretty much normal activity as long as I can remember. People around here do a lot of hugging. I'll often greet a friend I haven't seen for a while with a hug. It's just a friendly thing to do.

Mostly I prefer to hug ladies, but if something really important happens, like Georgia clenching an SEC East championship by beating Auburn, I'll give a big ol' hug to anyone around.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Hugging has been pretty much normal activity as long as I can remember. People around here do a lot of hugging. I'll often greet a friend I haven't seen for a while with a hug. It's just a friendly thing to do.

Mostly I prefer to hug ladies, but if something really important happens, like Georgia clenching an SEC East championship by beating Auburn, I'll give a big ol' hug to anyone around.
    I agree it is cultural I think. It is common practice among the people I know whatever the gender.

My Bikes
    1972 Schwinn "Custom" Continental, Canondale Mountain Bike, Windsor American (1973?), 2007 Bianchi C2C Via Nirone 105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hugs

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    I agree it is cultural I think. It is common practice among the people I know whatever the gender.

I think it's even more than that (cultural). I think it has to do with families. Some families hug, some don't. I (raised as a non-hugger) married into a family of huggers. Talk about stressful!

Interesting topic, but don't we need to discuss something of greater importance ... like pie?
    Chris

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Suess

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Huggers, like hand shakers, have a tendency to want to demonstrate a certain level of strength. I'm with Tom...........step away from the hug..........I've got a bad L4/L5.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I object to the proselytizing.

Huggers seem to have this thing about shameing others into their cult. I prefer to reserve my hugs for people with whom I'm genuinely close - mostly immediate family.

I think that over use of such token of affection, like hugging, renders them meaningless. If you get a voluntary hug from me you can rest assured that it came from my heart.

My Bikes
    Madone 6.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hugging is God given....therefore good!

I'm a hugger.....it validates us as human beings. It comforts, it congratulates, it's intimacy without confusing sexual orientation or preference. I think that those who cannot/will not hug get a bad rap as being homophobic or lacking in humanity somehow. No one should be shamed into something they are not comfortable with. Those folks just need more space..........and a big hug!

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourn View Post
    Hugging is God given....therefore good!

I'm a hugger.....it validates us as human beings. It comforts, it congratulates, it's intimacy without confusing sexual orientation or preference. I think that those who cannot/will not hug get a bad rap as being homophobic or lacking in humanity somehow. No one should be shamed into something they are not comfortable with. Those folks just need more space..........and a big hug!
    That's my problem..............I don't want a hug................so somebody's going to hug me untill feel different about it????????????????????????????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hug back. That is, I rarely start the hug, but will respond in kind. I believe it is cultural in nature (which includes the influence of one's family), and that culture shifts and changes. Information is one of the key elements in any cultural change. And in today's world we get instant information. Consider that in the 19th Century it would be close to three months before you might learn that those in the royal court were now greeting each other with a hug. Today this information is instantly available.

What I find interesting is the number of kisses I get with hugs and when the relationships shift enough to move into the realm. I'm also seeing more men kissing other men.... not in the romantic vein, but in the European "on the side of the cheek" kind of thing.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Madone 6.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    That's my problem..............I don't want a hug................so somebody's going to hug me untill feel different about it????????????????????????????
    Of course not......hugs are freely given if wanted.........to force a hug on someone would be contrary to the whole "Philosophy of Hugging"!

My Bikes
    Salsa Casseroll
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Don't get me wrong...I love hugs but I am curious, when did all this hugging business start? Almost all my life no one hugged each other unless it was mothers hugging small children. Women sometimes hugged each other under certain circumstances. Men (gasp) never hugged each other lest they be arrested by the homophobe police. Men only hugged women if they were married to them or in a relationship with them.

Back in the 60's we had something like this going on briefly, but it was limited mostly to strung out hippies. The general public was way too uptight to ever hug another person and sneered at anyone who did.

Nowadays you see professional athletes hugging, politicians hugging, same sex/opposite sex, doesn't matter. My friends all hug each other, including me, and I'm lovin' it.

Your comments? And uh...
    It's really been going on for a while:

Hippies? Candidates for arrest by homophobe police? Draw your own conclusions

BTW - not much of a hugger myself, either. I get uncomfortable hugging my MOM fer cryin' out loud (she's almost ninety so I DO hug her...but it gives me the creeps)
    Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the only thing that I hugged and really meant it was a can of beer.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    About the only thing that I hugged and really meant it was a can of beer.

But seriously, there have been some very interesting responses so far.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My problem with this whole thing is knowing when to hug and when not to hug. It's often just not clear. With guys I'll pretty much always just shake hands, but with women I have to calculate how long I've known them, etc etc. It's a mess.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hugging is fine and informal. Hand shaking is formal.
    Born in Europe, it's not unsusual for friends to kiss on cheek, male or female.
    A cultural and/or emotional expression of friendship.

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i gets lots of hugs 'cause the wife unit's family is loving and embracing (no one on my side of the family except for a sister)...

hugs = good
    groping = bad

:-)

Older "newbie"
    My Bikes
    Fuji Newest 4.0 just bought 7/26/08!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know but any woman that wants a hug can just ask and I'm there!

Hugs RULE!
    2008 Giant Sedona

You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.
    -Frank Zappa

My Bikes
    Raleigh Supercourse, Peugeot Iseran, Raleigh Twenty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post

Your comments? And uh...
    I'm a 57 year old southerner, who grew up in a working class neighborhood in Atlanta, to a poor but well fed and nurturing family. Hugs were not something which was done, although we really loved each other, and consequently the distance around me which therapists seem to call "social space" extends about five feet out in all directions.

But my late wife and all her friends were huggers, and my fiance and her friends are too. And I go to a church where the younger folks seem to hug. So I adapted. I just have to force a benign grin on my face, turn off my fight or flight impulses, and tell myself "these people are just trying to be warm and friendly, and aren't trying to steal my wallet".

It works, and none of them have used the proximity to stab me yet

My Bikes
    Salsa Casseroll
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larryfeltonj View Post
    ...It works, and none of them have used the proximity to stab me yet
    Yeah but you still check for your wallet, don't you?
    Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

My Bikes
    K2 "Big Easy Deuce" 21s MTB/Cruiser hybrid. Huffy "Belfort" SS rat bike (Kept in truck bed for emergencies.)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyr View Post
    I don't know but any woman that wants a hug can just ask and I'm there!

Hugs RULE!
    I was gonna say, it's all about the babes. Huggin' the babes.
    ~~~
    Namaste, y'all
    Rick

Life is a foreign language; All men mispronounce it.
    ~Christopher Morely

My Bikes
    2013 TARMAC Expert, 2011 specialized roubaix SL3, 2012 Raleigh Rush hour FIXIE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hugging big breasted women works for me!

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactuskid View Post
    hugging big breasted women works for me!

I guess some never leave Jr. High.

I like to hug and touch but if I sense someone does not, then I don't.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Group hug!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast