Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Rode John's Age Today

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Rode John's Age Today

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-08, 10:59 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rode John's Age Today

We met at 7:30 for our usual 60+ mile Wednesday ride. John was there, but wasn't going to ride with the four of us. Last Wednesday, he had a bit of trouble keeping up and didn't want to slow us down today. We cajoled, insisted we would go slow and generally lied to him and he finally agreed.

We did go a bit slower and he had no trouble keeping up on his new black Specialized Roubaix (only 3 rides).
That's John in the light blue/yellow club jersey second from the right.
We didn't take our first break (except for a couple of stop lights) until 37 miles. Over Snapple and muffins, we remembered that John's birthday was soon. Turned out to be tomorrow. "Well", we said, "today is the day to ride your age".

"Honey", John said into his cell phone. "I won't be home for awhile. These guys are making me ride my age."

So, we changed our route and headed off for a little deli we know, some 20 miles away. When we get there we're at about 57 miles and refilling water bottles at this bike-friendly business. "If we go here, then turn here, go up here, etc etc, we can make this work."

The good news is that the rest of the ride is mostly downhill. Here we are taking a one minute break at the top of the only major hill in our way.

Every few miles, we'd ask John what the mileage on his odometer was, since his was the only one that counted. At about 67 miles, we have a flat run to home. Without making a big deal of it, we make sure John is 3rd, 4th or 5th in line. We have figured we will have to take one turn around the block to make the mileage right.

As usual after our rides, we stop at our corner cafe for a Coke. John lives 2.2 miles from the cafe. He pulls into bike parking at 75.1 miles. He has ridden his age--77.

Because my generosity knows no limits, I buy him a Coke. He askes me to print the pictures I took for him (done). He calls his wife. "I'll be home in a few minutes", he says. She answers, "Did they at least buy you lunch?"

Ya know. All five of us felt good.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 09-04-08, 12:21 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Here's a little thing I did for John. I think he will enjoy it. He was pretty stoked about his ride yesterday.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 09-04-08, 02:18 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
Here's a little thing I did for John. I think he will enjoy it. He was pretty stoked about his ride yesterday.

Hey that turned out pretty good. I'll have to have you do that for me, when I get to old to make a century
Old 09-04-08, 02:53 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
Be sure to wish John a Happy Birthday

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith