User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 4300, Scattante Cross, Trek 2.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adjusting Cleats

Should I adjust my SPD cleats to match how my foot normally looks when walking, i.e. my foot normally points out, should my cleats be set so that the toe points out slightly when riding? I'm getting back into riding and am overweight and right now I can ride 10-15 minutes before I get a pain in both legs right above the knee. If I stop for a few minutes the pain goes away and I can go again. I think the seat height is right along with the fore-and-after position.

Thanks,

Bruce

My Bikes
    '11 Jamis Zenith; Jamis Eclipse; Jamis Dakota
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pain on the top of the knee typically indicates that your seat is to low. Maybe visit your LBS for a quick fitting. Having a good fit will make biking that much more enjoyable.

As far a cleat position, whatever is comfortable without contortioning your foot or causing leg/knee pain. The cleats should have just enough play in them so you can slightly rotate your foot.

Keep riding!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce282 View Post
    I can ride 10-15 minutes before I get a pain in both legs right above the knee. If I stop for a few minutes the pain goes away and I can go again. I think the seat height is right along with the fore-and-after position.

Thanks,

Bruce
    Actually, the location of the pain you're experiencing suggests that your saddle is too low. Try raising it 2 or 3 mm. Also, what are your typical gearing and pedal speed? Many people could benefit from gearing down and pealing faster. It really is easier on the joints.

As far as cleat alignment, a good starting point is to have your feet at a normal "walking" angle. If your toes point out when walking, they should when pedaling too.

Scott P
    Bend, OR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbycorno View Post
    As far as cleat alignment, a good starting point is to have your feet at a normal "walking" angle. If your toes point out when walking, they should when pedaling too.

Bend, OR
    One warning with putting your cleats similar to your normal walking angle. My feet also turn out and putting my cleats at a similar anle to my natrual foot angle actually caused me pain in my knees because my knees were not tracking straight when when i peddled
    They might have all the watches but ive got the time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this link about 3/4 of the way down the page. http://www.caree.org/bike101cliplesspedals.htm
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    Try this link about 3/4 of the way down the page. http://www.caree.org/bike101cliplesspedals.htm
    I have been looking for cleat covers for my Shimano cleats for years. Thanks for including this link.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really Great Article - I am going to put the link into the Beginner's Sticky!
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Trek 4300, Scattante Cross, Trek 2.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for link. Most informative. I think my plan is to make sure the seat height is right, and I might just put the stock platform pedals back on and see what different foot positions feel like.

Bruce