User Tag List

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BIke Shorts and Chafing

I've gotten the saddle situation under control, and the only discomfort I now have is chafing right where the leg meets the body, on the front, just to the side of the boys (don't make me post a picture!).

With the new lower-priced bike shorts I got it looks like the edge/seam of the "chamois" is right at this point. The chamois also barely covers the sit bones. I will probably send them back.

I'm not chafing against the saddle. The problems is less with other shorts that I have, but still there.

Anyone deal successfully with this problem? I'd like to avoid buying bibs at this time.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I don't have quite the same problem but I do see a big difference between my less expensive/more expensive cycling shorts. The padding in the shorts is important. I usually buy Pearl Izumi shorts and love them.

The pictures won't be necessary
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Same problem here, but with bibs that are getting old. They used to be fine but the same problem as you have described it exists.

I suspect that this is what you pay for in the expensive stuff. (larger chamois, better longer lasting material?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TromboneAl,
    Money doesn't always solve this problem. I have a pair of Specialized "expensivo's" shorts (forget the exact model but they were about $150) and also a pair of Descente in the same price range. The Specialized are fantastic but the Descentes (I generally like their products a lot) get me in the same manner you describe .

I also have some much less expensive Izuma Pearls's (less than half the price) which are among my favorites for all but the longest rides. I notice that a lot of people in my club wear the IP's. The expensive Specialized are the best for me so far.

My Bikes
    04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think bike shorts are as personal a fit issue as the right saddle. I have tried a lot, but my favorites are Giordana. I have shorts and bibs, and prefer the bibs, but the chamois is the same. They're not the cheapest, or the most expensive, but they work for me, and hold up well, too.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2cruz View Post
    I think bike shorts are as personal a fit issue as the right saddle. I have tried a lot, but my favorites are Giordana. I have shorts and bibs, and prefer the bibs, but the chamois is the same. They're not the cheapest, or the most expensive, but they work for me, and hold up well, too.
    Giordana's seem to be getting a few fans amongst the 50+ers . I recently changed to a pair of Tenax bibs and there is more to shorts fit than the padding. Theses fit me perfectly and I wonder why I never bought a pair before.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stapfam and I are always touting Giordanas. I have three pair. Some sort of butt butter may help, too.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim View Post
    .... Some sort of butt butter may help, too.
    +1 on the lubricant cream. I've also found that with the same brand and size there can be slight difference in where the seams fall and how the garment fits. If you can return them, that's what I would do.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Beverly said, it's all about the fit . . . I agree on PI . . . Look for shorts that are made so there is nothing resembling a seam in the crucial areas . . .

And going comando is also essential . . . for the same reasons . . .
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact
    1982 Specialized Sequoia

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have uncovered a useful piece of data. You now know of a specific model of shorts which does not work for you. Buy something different next time. If you are lucky, you'll find something that works without too many misses.

In the meantime, some sort of lube should help. Things I have used which worked for me include Vaseline, Bag Balm, Chamois Butt'r and Queen Helene's Cocoa Butter Cream.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

chicharron
    I know that I am going to commit heresy on this site, and probably will be banned by the mods, but I don't wear lycra bicycle shorts.(omg!!!) I wear shorts purchased in the thrift store.

There, I said it. I feel much better.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a feeling it's the saddle.
    George

My Bikes
    Fuji Supreme; Fuji Royale; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice is when you find shorts you like, buy them like they are going out of style. Because they are. If you wait a year to buy another pair they will be subtly different and maybe not in a way you like. My wife has the same problem with running shoes. She finds a pair she likes and 6 months later they "update" it and it doesn't fit her as well. I found an inexpensive saddle I like at Performance. It was on sale and I bought 4 of them. Since then I have picked up a couple of older bikes from Craig's list and the first thing to go on them is a saddle I like.

The lube cream is great. I use it for long rides, but it is not a substitute for a good pair of shorts or the right saddle.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can affort Pearl Izumi, they are great shorts. The Attack shorts are not bad, but the Ultrasensor shorts have a better chamois.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After buying shorts from a variety of companies, I've settled on PI Ultrasensor as the most comfortable, for me. I no longer buy anything else.
    Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its may be your underpants?

HI,
    I have to be crude but those riding pants do work best without cotton briefs in the way.
    My B17 seemed to fix all my chaffing.
    DOug

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it might be worth I just ordered a set of Pearl Izumi T-fleece tights with chamois from Colorado Cyclist for $119 plus shipping - total was $131. Best price I was able to find by a large margin.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reverborama View Post
    My advice is when you find shorts you like, buy them like they are going out of style. Because they are. If you wait a year to buy another pair they will be subtly different and maybe not in a way you like.
    The lube cream is great. I use it for long rides, but it is not a substitute for a good pair of shorts or the right saddle.
    I have found this to be true with my beloved Giordana Tenax shorts. My second pair was "upgraded" by using the chamois from the previous year's more expensive shorts and the lycra was different. They are still great, but not quite as great as my orginal ones.

I have almost stopped using Butt Buttr, now only on rides I now will be hot and over 50 miles. It is, first, because of good shorts, second, because of lots of TITS (time in the saddle).
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Giordana's seem to be getting a few fans amongst the 50+ers . I recently changed to a pair of Tenax bibs and there is more to shorts fit than the padding. Theses fit me perfectly and I wonder why I never bought a pair before.
    I totally agree re: Giordana. I have Giordana shorts, and bibs, and they are both great, very comfy even on long rides (yeah, double centuries, you know I had to say that!).

I do use "lube" too, mostly Bag Balm but also Chamois Butt'r.

Rick / OCRR