User Tag List

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Size comparisons, is yours bigger?

It seems to me that we could use a good bit of information (someday perhaps published as a table) as to how the clothing sizes of different brands match up. (what did you think I was asking?)

For example, I'm most familiar with the sizes quoted by Performance Bikes for their own brand of clothing. I buy from them because I understand the size information. Other brands, especially those made in Italy are considerably smaller for the same posted size.

At least one of the sites I have delt with in the past has a comparison chart for different brands of shoe.............ie brand a's 46 is a 12 US, is a brand b 47......etc. What a great find. (If I ever find it again, I'll publish it here.)

Here's the starting point. Performance bike has accurate information for sizes because they post the real waist or chest size along with the L, XL, XXL.

My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on Performance for the same reasons. I recently ordered a jersey from PBK. The US sizes were posted with the Euro equivilent; hope they are accurate. Lane Lp

My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The jersey came to day, a drop dead beautiful Italian made team Gerolsteiner King of the mountains jersey. And the damn thing is too friggin small!! A euro size 6 was suspposed to be a US 44 chest size. Its a medium for sure ----- way too small for me. If anyone wears a med and wants it shoot me a PM before I send it back. Lane Lp

The "now retired" Old Guy Ed in GA's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being the Fat Boy that I am, I decided that XXL, based on the size charts, would be about the best size for me.

I've bought from the LBS. Nike Bib shorts in XXL are just about right. (Too bad they are no longer available.)

On line, I've bought Velowear, Aerotech and Pearl Izumi Bibs.

In the Velowear, the size I have to order is XXXL.

In Aerotech, XXL is perfect

In PI, the 'Attack" XXL's are comfortable but I could probably get away with XLs.

In Jerseys

The PI P.R.O. series XXL is perfect.

In Velowear, I have to order the XXXL

In Aerotech, the XXLs are right on.

In the European/Italian cut, I have to order XXXXXXXXXL in bibs and Jerseys.

Go figure.....
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinz@50 View Post
    The jersey came to day, a drop dead beautiful Italian made team Gerolsteiner King of the mountains jersey. And the damn thing is too friggin small!! A euro size 6 was suspposed to be a US 44 chest size. Its a medium for sure ----- way too small for me. If anyone wears a med and wants it shoot me a PM before I send it back. Lane Lp
    But I reckon your inches must be smaller than ours over here. On the 50+ jerseys- I talked to CCorlew before finalising the order and I went up one size from the normal I buy over here. Glad I did as it is just snug enough for my body.

And a medium in UK size will just about go up to 40" chest- unless you like it skin tight.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Performance seems to have their clothes made by a variety of folks; the size that fits me one time won't the next.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It also matters if you are looking at a Club cut or Racing cut in jerseys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    ...Here's the starting point. Performance bike has accurate information for sizes because they post the real waist or chest size along with the L, XL, XXL.
    In another thread (bike shorts and chafing) I indicated that there are slight differences in garments from the same brand and of the same size. I have four pair of Performance bibs, all with the same sizw (XL), however, none of them fit the same and a 5th pair had to be returned as they were too small. One of the reasons I put up with this from Performance is they let me return things no questions asked.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    In another thread (bike shorts and chafing) I indicated that there are slight differences in garments from the same brand and of the same size. I have four pair of Performance bibs, all with the same sizw (XL), however, none of them fit the same and a 5th pair had to be returned as they were too small. One of the reasons I put up with this from Performance is they let me return things no questions asked.
    I do a trip to a big Cycle shop in London occasionally and besides the range of clothing they have- They will also have plenty of stock of the particular shorts I want. So into the changing room with 3 pairs of Medium Bibbs and I always find that one will fit better than the others. Not ever a great difference between them- but the seams may feel hard in one- the liner might not be in the right place- or they might even be mislabelled on size.

Difference is at my LBS- They size me up and they have never been wrong on size yet- But that might also be the quality of the Giordana range and the Club "Team" range that are cheaper but also made by them.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan