Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Looks like I'm in the market for wheels...

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-06-08, 10:49 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I brought my Roubaix home a couple of weeks ago after a 2,000 mile tuneup. The wrench said he could true a badly out of true rear wheel but warned I might need new wheels if he was unsuccessful.

Well, he claimed success and I paid my $65 for the tune up and off I went. I haven't had a lot of opportunity to ride since then (travel, etc.) but it's become clear that the wheel is NOT trued (or has come out of true again) and there is a definite wobble. So maybe I need a new wheel after all.

Aside from wondering what portion of the $65 I should ask they put towards the purchase of a new wheel (if any -- am I being unreasonable believing that my $65 was largely wasted?), I could use a recommendation from y'all about wheels.

And, do I need to replace both at the same time, even though the front wheel appears good to go?

The bike is a 2007 Specialized Roubaix.

I don't want to break the bank.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-06-08, 10:53 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just replace the rear one but go online to find a builder that you can afford. Or failing that- just go to an online shop and buy what you can afford.

The wheelbuilder will do a better job though.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-06-08, 10:56 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 819 Posts
Any properly built and carefully tensioned wheel with mid-grade or better parts and at least 32 spokes should be fine. Avoid radial lacing and other fads -- good ol' 3X all around is strong and sturdy.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-06-08, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I recommend a wheel or wheels built with at least 32 standard double butted spokes. Those fancy schmancy boutique wheels that are standard equipment on new bikes just don't cut the mustard.

But, hey, that's me.

Welcome back, we missed you.
Old 09-06-08, 11:03 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
These are the ones I got after pulling the Open Sports off of mine. I couldn't keep them true foe the life of me. I did learn how to work on wheels though.

https://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...d&productId=37
Ask for Chris, good luck.
Old 09-06-08, 11:06 AM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I would like to think that the LBS guy took the time to do more than tweak a couple of spokes.

When I get a new premade set of wheels either on their own or with a new bike I start with stress relieving them ala Sheldon's method but using a couple of big peices of wood dowel instead of left hand cranks. I then bring any loose spokes up to tension or bring really tight ones down so there's a decent match. Only then do I true the wheel and then raise the tension in small steps up to where it should be truing repeatedly as I go along with a couple of more stress relieving runs along the way. By the time all this is done they pretty much ARE handbuilt and I find I get very few issues with them over the long haul.

If your LBS guy didn't do all this then it's no wonder your machine builts went out of whack again. And they would continue to go out of whack until they manage to stress relieve themselves over time. Now if he did all this then there really is something wrong but I can't believe that this level of bike would come with rims or spokes that are that cheezy.
Old 09-06-08, 12:05 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Two bikes, two sets of wheels, thousands and thousands of miles - and no adjustments for me. Bontrager SL's on my Trek and Ksyrium SSC SL's on my Scott. Both sets are perfectly true. I ride year round on broken asphalt, chip/seal, dirt, gravel, etc.
Old 09-06-08, 12:11 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
a "badly out of true wheel" does not sound like the result of a machine built wheel. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's probably the result of hitting things with the wheel. I've trued some wheels that the owner didn't want to replace, they end up with low/high tension spots and there really is nothing a mechanic can do about it. Put yourself in the lbs guy's place, a bent up mis-tensioned wheel is no fun to work on. Now OP wants him to donate his labor too. "Maybe I can true it" means "I'm doing this because you want me to, not because it's a good idea."
Old 09-06-08, 12:19 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, I get the point about the wrench. He did his best. I'm good with that.

I will say, however, I haven't ridden more that about 15 miles since the tune up. And, to the best of my recall, I haven't ridden over anything other than smooth pavement. Could be wrong, but it would be a great coincidence.

So it still comes down to choosing a new wheel. And I did a google search for wheelbuilders in San Diego, but found no one so far. We do have a plethora of LBS's, however, so I can ask around.

Old 09-06-08, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Where as I can offer no intelligent advise towards wheel purchasing, I have
had plenty of practice of late at "making lemonade from lemons". I can't help
but to see an opportunity here for you. After you solve your wheel search
dilemna, be sure to save your old wheel. Buy a good spoke wrench and
get to work on that wheel. You've an opportunity here to pick up some
wheel trueing/building experience. Just a thought of course.
Old 09-06-08, 01:44 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
We do have a plethora of LBS's, however, so I can ask around.
Many LBS upgrade wheels on bikes from new. Those wheels are sometimes not too bad and they will sell them off cheap. So Ask around- get the specs of the wheel and price and come back to us here for info. We will be able to tell you if it is a decent wheel at a fair price- so get asking.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-06-08, 02:07 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Good point on the damage aspect. I hadn't thought of that angle.

And it's not the damage that didn't happen since it was trued. It could just as easily be the echo of some earlier damage that knocked it out of true in the first place during your first 2000 kms.

Sometimes the damage can't be traced. I remember on one of my regular commuters that one day the rear was wobbling a little. Could feel it through the saddle and my feet. So that night I went to true it but it was a dent in the two clincher beads from hitting something. And as if that wasn't bad enough it had caused two small bucklings of the rim two spokes to either side of the hit area.

The weird thing is that I could not remember a single case of hitting anything at all hard enough to do something like that. It's still a puzzle but I can only chalk it up to the old Mavic CXP12's being really cheezy alloy to buckle so easily.
Old 09-06-08, 02:31 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Any LBS can get Quality Wheelhouse wheels through QBP. They are handbuilt in Miami and are very well made. You only need a rear wheel. I would get one with Mavic Open Pro rims, Ultegra hubs and 32 double butted DT Competition spokes. Or for a few dollars more, get a local builder to build something similar.
Old 09-06-08, 02:38 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My favorite wheel is the Mavic Ksyrium SLC as mentioned before - don't own a piar but would if I had the extra cash. I do have a set of Ksyrium Equippes on my Simoncini - no matter what the naysayers say it is a strong great riding wheel at a great price. I have ridden 4 centurys on them so far and have probably 3K miles on them with no problems - got the set on ebay. My Tarmac has the Easton Orion II on it - these also seem quite good - less weight than the Equipes and a good ride but more expensive - for this bike I wanted the SLC's but could not justify them. Ebay is a good place to get wheel - I bought both sets there.
Old 09-06-08, 02:56 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
My favorite wheel is the Mavic Ksyrium SLC as mentioned before - don't own a piar but would if I had the extra cash. I do have a set of Ksyrium Equippes on my Simoncini - no matter what the naysayers say it is a strong great riding wheel at a great price. I have ridden 4 centurys on them so far and have probably 3K miles on them with no problems - got the set on ebay. My Tarmac has the Easton Orion II on it - these also seem quite good - less weight than the Equipes and a good ride but more expensive - for this bike I wanted the SLC's but could not justify them. Ebay is a good place to get wheel - I bought both sets there.
Krysiums may be a bit above DG's Pricing restraints- But I have a pair of Mavic Aksiums that I keep as spares. In comparison to OM wheels- these are pretty good. Bit heavy but they are also strong and in fact over here they are a popular wheel for Cyclocross so must be durable. In fact-DG- They may be an alternative to getting a wheel handbuilt- which really should be your next stage on upgrading your bike.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-06-08, 03:00 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
Krysiums may be a bit above DG's Pricing restraints- But I have a pair of Mavic Aksiums that I keep as spares. In comparison to OM wheels- these are pretty good. Bit heavy but they are also strong and in fact over here they are a popular wheel for Cyclocross so must be durable. In fact-DG- They may be an alternative to getting a wheel handbuilt- which really should be your next stage on upgrading your bike.
Got me Equipes for $200 - for both wheels - there are several on ebay now.
Old 09-06-08, 05:36 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Your front wheel is good to go if you think it's good to go. Front wheels generally lead longer lives than rear wheels.

Before you buy a new one though, Check out Blacksmith Bicycles at 5555 Santa Fe St. They do great wheelbuilding and may be able to fix your wheel where Adams was not. They helped me when my Bianchi Eros back wheel sprung itself catastrophically 2 weeks after I bought the bike.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 09-06-08, 05:53 PM
Bill

Bikes: Specialized Globe Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For wheels to remain true the key factor outside of a possible damaged rim is spoke tension. They should be tensioned toward the high end of what the rim manufacturer recommends for that particular rim. Truing can only be considered as a temporary fix if low to average spoke tension is used and wheel is not damaged by hitting something too hard.
Old 09-06-08, 05:53 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by George
These are the ones I got after pulling the Open Sports off of mine. I couldn't keep them true foe the life of me. I did learn how to work on wheels though.

https://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...d&productId=37
Ask for Chris, good luck.
This wheel looks like a great deal. Treated with a good tensioning and truing procedure they should be as good as some custom wheels costing three times as much. Certain some major custom builders are building with the same parts!

Road Fan
Old 09-06-08, 07:29 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheels don't have to have 32 spokes to stay true. I've got 10,000 miles on my 24R/20F Velocity Deep Vs, which have required no truing other than once after a high speed encounter with some RR tracks (the flat-both-tires-dent-the-rims kind of encounter). My new wheels, Neuvation M28 Aero 3's are coming up on 1K miles and are still as dead true as they were out of the box. I'm 235 lbs., BTW. The Neuvations set me back just over $300 with ceramic bearings.
Old 09-06-08, 09:07 PM
deep stuff

Bikes: Road, Touring, Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Universal cycles online wheel building rocks. I had them build a set of touring wheels to my specs and they are fantastic and it was only like 170 bucks for what I wanted. Great job of custom building.
Old 09-06-08, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
What kind of wheel are we talking about? If it's a standard type wheel, it might just need to be respoked, or just retensioned. If it doesn't have any flat spots or dents, you, (your builder) can take out all the spokes and see if it's sprung. If it lays flat, it can be rebuilt with just spokes.
Take it from a guy who has destroyed many wheels, the right builder makes a huge difference.
There is such a difference in the ability of guys to build and correctly tension a wheel. You have to find the right guy.
Old 09-06-08, 10:55 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
So I brought my Roubaix home a couple of weeks ago after a 2,000 mile tuneup. The wrench said he could true a badly out of true rear wheel but warned I might need new wheels if he was unsuccessful.
And, do I need to replace both at the same time, even though the front wheel appears good to go?
The bike is a 2007 Specialized Roubaix.
I don't want to break the bank.
If your Roubaix is equipped somewhat similar to mine, it came with Alex wheels (mine are 298r), which have reviews across the board. Froma personal perspective, this set is holding up quite well and taking my abuse OK. However I did have another set, one series higher, which went out of true after 100 mi and have never stayed in true for more than a day or so.
I'd replace the set, if the rear is now cooked.
As for 32 spoke rims using ribar... you can go with a traditional wheel and rim , but they may not be any more sturdy than a well made modern design wheel. I was also leary of low spoke count wheels, but after quite a few thousand miles (close to 30K mi.) on a few modern sets (ritchey OCR, Velomax, those Alex 298s and Shimano - the ritcheys are getting the highest ride mileage), I'm a believer of modern rims and low spoke count wheels. Good modern rims are just that good!
Unless you;re really super hard on wheels (never lighten the saddle when you run over holes and high seams) a 24 to 28 spoke rear on a modern wheel is prolly as bulletproof as old-style 32.
Its really all in the wheel/rim design, quality and build.
Now you don;t have to spend big bucks to get a decent set. The ritchey OCRs I luv were under $300 for both, new. Velomax and Shimano also make nice wheelsets in around the $260 to $300 range (retail). And I'm sure there are others out there of good value - Easton ??? (the velomax use Easton rims...) Rolfs have a great reputation. Don;t know much about the Trek supplied wheelsets.
Or you can spend a little more and get a custom built wheel from a reputable builder.
When it comes to 700c clinchers, the modern wheels are quite nice.
Mavic, of course, makes some topflight wheels, but I've hear mixed reviews about the low end (not by price) Aksiums. Work OK, however those who've tried to use them as day-in-day-out training wheels haven't gotten any reasonable mileage out of them before they went out (local riders comments...)

best of luck

was fun coming back onto BF for the day...

some funny threads out there in 50+ land... ;-)
Old 09-07-08, 12:16 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Unless riders post their weight, power production, riding style, mileage, maintenance routine and road conditions, IMHO, it is impossible to know if their experience, no matter how factually presented or well intended applies to your situation.

I ride on Bontrager, Easton, Zipp and HED and produce at least as much or more power than others. I have no problems. I have friends and training partners who are much stronger than I who ride on various brand name wheelsets with no problems. Now, I know a racer who is a clyde who destroys wheels and is constantly truing them. This is one area where YMMV dramatically.

The fact that it is a rear wheel leads me to believe you may have hit a pot hole and possibly at your weight (your a big strong guy), it was more than the wheel could take. You may have to go the clydesdale wheel route which you can buy or have someone build one to spec. Did the Adams do the truing or did you take it somewhere else? Good luck.
Old 09-07-08, 12:43 AM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Did the Adams do the truing or did you take it somewhere else? Good luck.
No, I took it to the place I bought it, which is also a fine place, Bicycle Warehouse, in Pacific Beach. I will probably take it back there tomorrow and see what they suggest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.