Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mother McCain, age 96

While watching the Republican convention on Thursday evening with my mom, we both noticed how fast and strong John McCain's 96-year-old mother appeared as she arose from her seat when she was introduced in his speech. She shot out of her seat like a 20-year-old! It amazed us both. Anyone know her story, how she takes care of herself?

NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT use this post as an excuse to share your feelings about the candidate, the convention, or anything that might get it moved. This post is about the apparent health and vigor of a very elderly person who appears much younger than her age -- something that most of us aspire to and which fits right in with this forum. Thanks.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roberta McCain is certainly in excellent health for someone of her age, and I suspect good genes are part of the equation, as is mental attitude. The Presidential candidate has said: "My mother was raised to be a strong, determined woman who thoroughly enjoyed life, and always tried to make the most of her opportunities. She was encouraged to accept, graciously and with good humor, the responsibilities and sacrifices her choices have required of her." She is the candidate's best counter to the age argument.

Did anyone else note the British tie-in, complete with our own Princess Di (a younger, short-haired Cindy McCain visiting Mother Teresa and numerous afflicted children) and of course a Queen Mother figure?
    Last edited by John E; 09-06-08 at 03:20 PM.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Bill
    My Bikes
    Specialized Globe Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She is probably a mountain biker. But I dont know that for a fact so it's not worthy of the rumor mill. Anyway Keep Biking and stay healthy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Eventually you will reach a point when you stop lying about your age and start bragging about it. - Will Rogers

My Bikes
    Raleigh Supercourse, Peugeot Iseran, Raleigh Twenty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the first reply. Probably a combination of good genetics and staying active and engaged with her surroundings. I fully intend to be able to bounce out of a chair quickly in my nineties, and even though I'm politically elsewhere from the McCains, I have a great deal of admiration for the vigor they exhibit at their respective ages.

My Bikes
    Dean, De Rosa, Langster, some old Brit track iron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping red wine has something to do with it.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did someone say ... McCain???

"Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Science Fanboy KrisPistofferson's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You all have good hearts, but all it takes is one foamer-at-the-mouth from either side of the aisle for a move to P&R. Just sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Hitchens
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

My Bikes
    Raleigh Supercourse, Peugeot Iseran, Raleigh Twenty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neilG View Post
    I'm hoping red wine has something to do with it.
    Gawd, me too, since I've had a couple'a glasses of good Italian chianti this evening.

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roberta McCain: parents were Archibald Wright, a Los Angeles oil wildcatter, born October 23, 1875, near Kossuth, Mississippi. Wright died in Los Angeles, California, on January 13, 1971. Her mother, Myrtle Fletcher, was born January 8, 1885, in Cleburne, Texas. Fletcher died in Los Angeles, California, on December 29, 1972. ..Wikipedia.

Would appear to be in the family genes. Unlike my own genes which would suggest dead before 80.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guybierhaus View Post
    Roberta McCain: parents were Archibald Wright, a Los Angeles oil wildcatter, born October 23, 1875, near Kossuth, Mississippi. Wright died in Los Angeles, California, on January 13, 1971. Her mother, Myrtle Fletcher, was born January 8, 1885, in Cleburne, Texas. Fletcher died in Los Angeles, California, on December 29, 1972. ..Wikipedia.

Would appear to be in the family genes. Unlike my own genes which would suggest dead before 80.
    This has already been mentioned by the Republicans as a reason to discount the age issue - it is political no matter how much one would try to seperate it. Unfortunate...
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a great-uncle that died at 107.
    Grandpa worked full time 'til age 88, then he moved to the US and died here at 97.
    At age 75, that makes me a kid!
    If I'd know I was gonna live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much is just plain old dumb luck?
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    Trek 7.3FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    How much is just plain old dumb luck?
    I don't know. But I do know that I'm 51 and I'm the oldest living male on my mom's side of the family. My dad passed on when I was 17 and his brother only made it to 60.

Give you things to think about as only one of the deaths was health related.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Roberta McCain is certainly in excellent health for someone of her age, and I suspect good genes are part of the equation, as is mental attitude.
    Isn't she The Rifleman's mother?

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first saw McCain's mother (I didn't know who she was) I thought maybe it was a sister or other family member. She is incredibly fit and beautiful for someone 96. To bad, it wasn't passed on to her son! He's looking his age (as do I ).

It's nice to know that at 96 one can still get around and be beautiful and active! I'm just praying to get into my 60's!!!!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She looks better at 96 than Hillary Whatshername looks at....whatever she claims to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, Roberta McCain's twin sister Rowena also is still alive. Really.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not amazed that she's still alive at 96..... I'm amazed at the apparent strength and agility she displayed at age 96 as she rose from her seat very quickly like a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH younger person. Just living to a very old age isn't the thing.... it's being as strong and vital and sharp as she appears to be.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    centurions (lemans and sports dlx both 1981)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my grandpa made it to 84 and he worked hard his whole life. my dad's 75 and is not showing any signs of quitting anytime soon. so at 52, i'm hoping genetics is at least a factor in the equation. by the way, my dad's mom made 96. born 1906 died 2002. and remember, age is a matter of the mind. if you don't mind, it don't matter. growing old beats dying young hands down.
    http://revelstone56.tripod.com/index.html
    Hey technically I'm not crazy. The doctors even said so. I just do what the voices tell me and we all get along fine.

NickUtah
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite, Fuji Supreme
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mother's 96, but dad long gone-

Yes McCain's mom is a healthy nonogenarian, but his dad died of a heart attack at 65. His Grandpa McCain did likewise at 60. So he appears to have longevity genes only from one side of the family. Also, there are a lot of women who live to be 85-95 these days, but very few men do- visit a nursing home and ask the staff their ratio of men to women. Perhaps John will stay in good shape til he's 80, perhaps not. The chance of Alzheimer's becomes significant as one approaches 80 also; you might be better off dead than to suffer that- his Mom's mental lucidity can given McCain hope that this wont befall him as it did Reagan.