User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Senior olympics/senior games -- anyone try cycling events?

Just curious has anyone here tried the cycling events in the senior games?
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't participated as a competitor but I've worked the cycling games in St Louis.

While there are people who take it VERY seriously, for the majority of the participants, at least here, it's a very, very low key event. It's kind of funny watching a rider on a high dollar time trial rig and wearing a skin suit chase down somebody who is riding a 26" cruiser with clanking fenders.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks retro. thinking about participating next year just for the experience and as a motivation to get in better shape.
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    Litespeed Blueridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband is entering the Mt. Laguna Hill climb (San Diego). He has participated 3 years now, won a Gold and Bronze for his age group.
    Cats are people too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just came back from watching our rec center's "Fall Frenzy" - a modified triathlon 500 yards swimming, 13 miles biking, 3 miles of running. All ages.

I saw mountain bikes, tri bikes, people doing the back stroke in the pool and resting, fat people, young people, old people, people walking the 3 miles, people running as if their life depended on winning.

So, I think that I will enter next year. I know I can do the swimming (or will be able to). I know I can do the bicycling. ANd, I know I can walk (not run) 3 mles.

I think that you group by your nearest age - if so, next year, I will be in the 70's group. Have to check that out, though.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have ridden many Sr. Olympics.
    As stated some folks show up on their old beater others have a bike with $1500 wheels and skinsuits.
    The serious one are extremely competitive. They even show up from racing clubs in neighboring states and think us local yokels will be easy pickings..
    Some of these clubs use team tactics in the road races; I have been body blocked in a sprint, by a guy about 50 lbs heavier than my skinny 130 lbs, so his other mates could medal.
    Have pulled a break away with 3 out of staters jumping on my wheel and then refusing to take a pull at the front. Cured that fast; sprinted away from them and as they tried to jump on my wheel again, I hit both brakes so they had to pull around me, yelling at me. Yup, team tactics can work, however if they want to ride that aggressively, I'll do likewise.
    But, if you want to avoid aggressive team tactics, stick to the time trials.
    So HiYo, give the Sr. Olympic games a try . . . it's still fun!
    Pedal on!
    Rudy

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They held the senior Olympics here in Louisville last year. The TT times were absurdly fast.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I know. I'm not interested in road racing and team blocking. Unfortunately the TT is only for 10K, 6.22 miles, and is fast. 26.66 mph or 24.88 mph, or 14 to 15 minutes. Last place is 22 mph. The climb is only 120 feet, but that's still fast for spaced out riding.

If I could not be last, it'ld be fun to participate.
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may not be last . . .
    I time trial once a week for 1 hour straight while my wife grocery shops. Amazing how much you have to focus, but you will improve.
    Will be riding in the 75+ division in January.
    We usually have 2 time trials here (Tucson): 1 mile and 10K; 2 road events 10K and 20 K.
    Have medaled in all events, but not every year. My best year, almost 20 years ago was 5 gold. All depends who shows up and how you feel.
    Go for it!!!

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HiYoSilver View Post
    If I could not be last, it'ld be fun to participate.
    This is all racers worst worry. It may exceed crashing. Get over it. Bicycle racing is an elite sport with a limited field. Very few riders participate and those that do come loaded for bear. Look at it another way. It takes real guts to enter, compete and face the I came in last possibility. The fact of the matter is that even if you come in last, other racers will respect your effort. What non racers think does not matter. We all know how hard it is to train and compete. Remember...the first race you enter, you will be guaranteed a personal best. Good luck.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    This is all racers worst worry. It may exceed crashing. Get over it. Bicycle racing is an elite sport with a limited field. Very few riders participate and those that do come loaded for bear. Look at it another way. It takes real guts to enter, compete and face the I came in last possibility. The fact of the matter is that even if you come in last, other racers will respect your effort. What non racers think does not matter. We all know how hard it is to train and compete. Remember...the first race you enter, you will be guaranteed a personal best. Good luck.
    Well said.

Now that I've raced a few races, and had 2 top-ten finishes, I get it...I really get it.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I need to train. I can think of three things I could focus on, but having never trained before, I have no clue which is better. I figure I can focus on one thing at a time, but I don't know which would be best:

A-- increasing cadence to 100
    B-- increasing hours/week riding
    C-- just working on trying to increase sprinting ability
    D-- increasing the miles riden per week.

thanks for the advice
    Hi 'o Silver away

Randomhead
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came in last in the club time trial. Not only that, but everybody passed me (8 people). I found it amusing. The thing is, next time I show up, it will strike fear into a couple people because they will be worrying that I might beat them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I need to train. I can think of three things I could focus on, but having never trained before, I have no clue which is better. I figure I can focus on one thing at a time, but I don't know which would be best:

A-- increasing cadence to 100
    B-- increasing hours/week riding
    C-- just working on trying to increase sprinting ability
    D-- increasing the miles riden per week.

thanks for the advice
    Sounds like a plan. Although, I wouldn't worry too much about that 100 cadence - try and see what works best for you.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Orbea Orca - 2007, Orbea Ordu - 2008, Cervelo P3 track, Santana Sovereign tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    One of my racing friends who is an experienced racer and my mentor, told me "I've finished first, I've finished last and I've finished in the middle." That is a wise perspective that I keep in mind after a disappointing result. Even if I do poorly, I learn something about myself and what weaknesses I need to work on. Racing is full of highs and lows. Even if I finish last, I am happy that I live to race another race. And knowing that the elusive victory is always out there. And I agree with Hermes 100% - other racers will respect your efforts - and the non-racers secretly wish they had your courage.
    In bocca al lupo!

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the encouragement. It'll be a day off work, but definitely seems worth it. Now to get thru the fall rainy/drizzle season
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as training goes, cadence is the most important for performance events and races. If you are going to do the senior games time trials then you will need between 90 and 100 cadence. I would buy cadence for your bike and work on spinning at 100. Do not be surprised if it is difficult to do and your heart rate is higher. Over time your heart rate will lower and the 100 will feel natural. Spinning 100 has more to do with neurology and mental focus then muscles. Our coaches insist on 100 and our racing club's affiliate coach in a recent lecture stated the higher the cadence the better. And there is no senior discount on the number. In fact, it is more important for us masters to have the best cycling efficiency possible.

I do not see a big advantage to tracking miles versus hours but our prescribed workouts are always given with heart rate, cadence and time objectives. Coaches do not care about mileage.

Be careful sprinting and doing hard intervals. Until you have the cycling efficiency down and can spin easily in a moderate gear for a couple of hours at 90 to 100 cadence, stay away from any hard work. Once you have the technical aspects down, you can add more intense efforts.

Edit: If 90 to 100 is difficult for you, do not worry about it. Do what you can and shoot for 1 or 2 minutes at a higher cadence. Over time you will be able to do it.
    Last edited by Hermes; 09-08-08 at 07:15 PM.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I've been working on cadence. Sometimes I get over 100, last year it was a pain to get to 85. My eyesight is not so good without prescription glasses so I have to guess at the numbers. I think I was mostly in the low 90's today. first goal is to be above 100 for the ride by the end of the month. I do notice I'm breathing harder, but that's a typical workout. it's either kill your legs or work your lungs.

I'm not trying to do hard and cadence as I'm afraid I might hurt something.
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi HiYoSilver,

I've only done one Senior Olympics (this year though I was eligible last year too) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was low key with a lot of camaraderie. USA Cycling races can be intimidating -- especially in the 50-54 age range.

Recognize the potential risks associated with mass start races (vs time trials) and take some time to learn your body.

Good luck.
    Thanks.
    Cleave
    "Real men wear pink."
    See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
    See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
    Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
    Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the 10K is staged start as it's a TT.

Well this morning I really looked at the cyclometer. Ugh, 100 is way way too high of a goal. 82 is my comfort zone, 88 is a stretch and 95 is short increases. Naturally, but surprising to me, if try to hit higher cadence early, by the end of the ride even 78 is harder than normal.

Going to take some time.

Hopefully someone else will give the senior games a try this next year.
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the 10K is staged start as it's a TT.

Well this morning I really looked at the cyclometer. Ugh, 100 is way way too high of a goal. 82 is my comfort zone, 88 is a stretch and 95 is short increases. Naturally, but surprising to me, if try to hit higher cadence early, by the end of the ride even 78 is harder than normal.

Going to take some time.

Hopefully someone else will give the senior games a try this next year.
    100 is tough. When I started the structured training program December 6, 2007, I could not do it either and my results were similar. 100 gassed me and made other cadences harder. I could do 80 and 90 was tough. It took me about 6 months to get to 100. And now at 10 months, not missing a prescribed workout, I can spin 100 easily. I was on a group ride on Sunday in the middle of a double pace line spinning 100 going 20 mph at a HR of 110. In my 500 meter sprint at the track nationals, from a standing start, I hit 32.4 mph max at a 120 cadence accelerating. So it is all possible. What you have to do is build heart stroke volume and skeletal infrastructure and that takes time and hard work.

Can you race at lower cadence? Of course but...you still have to do the preliminary work doing a lot of spinning in easy gears before you increase intensity. Otherwise, we will be reading about your sore knees and back.

Here is one of my favorite clips of Lance and Ulrich. Note the cadence difference. And Ulrich is a great time trialist. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz95I3cJQ_s

I noticed we had the same music playing on the PA at the track nationals with a professional announcer. It gets your blood pumping.

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done several regional Senior Games, including last year's Huntsman Senior Games in St. George, Utah (Senior (gasp!) Games).

They're all a blast...especially Huntsman, which is a fantastic venue, with nearly 10,000 athletes in town.

I'm really looking forward to the National Senior Games in 2009 (to be held in San Francisco), because earlier this year I qualifed to compete in both road racing and time trials.
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Senior Olympics? Never heard of it.
    I checked with the Georgia Senior Olympics website and the cutoff for registration was August 15. I guess I'll have to wait until next year to participate.
    Maybe I'll go as a spectator this year to see how good the competition is. Or to determine how much I'll have to improve.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From our triathlon last Sunday, here are the results and they can be accessed by age and event (duathlon or triathlon)

http://www.myentryfee.com/results/Ra...aspx?target=86

This gives some ideas of times, etc.

There were only 2 male entries in the 65 - 69 age bracket, ao I would have gotten at least a 3rd in this bracket, if I had entered.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    I'm really looking forward to the National Senior Games in 2009 (to be held in San Francisco), because earlier this year I qualifed to compete in both road racing and time trials.
    There are a number of Senior Games. However, the most interesting one is the National Sr. Games in 2009. Velodiva and I qualified to ride in the state qualifier in Long Beach (That was trivial i.e. show up and race a short local TT). The top two finishers in the TTs from each state would go to the National in SF in 2009. We decided to pass on Long Beach as it was right after our Dunlap TT.

SSP, how did you qualify for the TT? Our reading of the rules was that you needed to race in Long Beach and come in first or second to go to the TT next year. The race was 2 days after your injury. I assume there was another way to qualify?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast