The "now retired" Old Guy Ed in GA's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question for the guys.....

What do you do with your boys/package when riding?

Push all to the left or right? Or, try and keep everything on top of the saddle?
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never paid any attention and I've always been comfortable that way. Any saddle discomfort that I've ever had came from the rear of the seat.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Something I learned this year while learning to ride a TT bike in the extreme lay down position.
    With Spandex (see there are other features), pull upwards as far as possible all parts and parcels and

Edit: For those with insufficient vision........replace the following word pin with restrain............

pin in place with the shorts. Thus when down in the drops or on the aerobars, the problem is somewhat removed from conflict.

This was actual advice from folks who do this for a living.
    Last edited by maddmaxx; 09-08-08 at 04:58 AM.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Something I learned this year while learning to ride a TT bike in the extreme lay down position.
    With Spandex (see there are other features), pull upwards as far as possible all parts and parcels and pin in place with the shorts. Thus when down in the drops or on the aerobars, the problem is somewhat removed from conflict.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    reference red shorts picture for details.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never a problem unless the shorts are too loose to hold the package in place (up and out of the way).
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

The "now retired" Old Guy Ed in GA's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked the question because I am getting some numbness. Could be that I have too soft of a seat on my bike.
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

My Bikes
    Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed in GA View Post
    I asked the question because I am getting some numbness. Could be that I have too soft of a seat on my bike.
    Try rotating the seat a tiny amount clockwise, ride, check the effect. Keep doing this and try also moving the seat forward as well, but make only one adjustment at a time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somebody has to make a joke of this so I say duct tape everything out of the way.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might try one of the "anatomical" saddles with the groove down the center. I used Specialized Body Geometry saddles for several years. They were clearly superior to the saddles that I had been using previously but didn't completely relieve my "numb manhood". Since switching to Brooks saddles I haven't experienced any penile numbness.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you guys have too much junk in the trunk - for me, I have trouble finding things after a few hours of riding, particularly in the cold.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ +1/2 ^^^

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My first option concerning placement is more intended for crushing pain, not numbness. The later is probably caused by pressure somewhat more aft. For example, if your saddle is pointed too far up, you are more likely to find it painful to ride in the drops. If the saddle is pointed too far down, you may slide forward all the time and end up sitting on the nose of the saddle too much. This is one cause of numbness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truly dedicated cyclists have chosen to have their packages removed. Weight weenies (poor choice of terms) can save anywhere from a few ounces to perhaps a pound or two. Numbness no longer an issue, and a more aero, forward position is possible. YMMV.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    You might try one of the "anatomical" saddles with the groove down the center. I used Specialized Body Geometry saddles for several years. They were clearly superior to the saddles that I had been using previously but didn't completely relieve my "numb manhood". Since switching to Brooks saddles I haven't experienced any penile numbness.
    +1 on the Specialized saddle, very nice. I have this one and all my saddle issues went away.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=40399
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Spandex (see there are other features), pull upwards as far as possible all parts and parcels and pin in place with the shorts. Thus when down in the drops or on the aerobars, the problem is somewhat removed from conflict.

I'm not sure I get it. Is there an instruction video available, say from Youtube?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim p View Post
    Somebody has to make a joke of this so I say duct tape everything out of the way.
    I use an extra large safety pin;
    Can't seem to get the picture loaded?
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My package shrinks up into my abdomen, safely out of the way.

My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PIN????!!!!

2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact
    1982 Specialized Sequoia

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokes man View Post
    PIN????!!!!

Yeah. I know. They need to use a different word.

My Bikes
    lotus classique ,haro mirra pro,gary fisher mtb 1980's, trek T1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just throw it over my shoulder and strap it down with my hydration pack

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Since no saddle-related thread would be complete without a mention.)

Recumbent.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a (slightly) more serious note, this is a case where lycra cycling shorts that fit correctly are functional, as BluesDawg points out.

*Still trying to clear my mind free of that "pin" verb used earlier in this thread.*
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact
    1982 Specialized Sequoia

My Bikes
    Norco (4), Miyata, Canondale, Specialized, K2 Proflex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a couple of posts here that tended to make my eyes sweat. "Pin" was a REALLY bad choice...

There's only been that one reference to tilting the saddle I see. Numbness doesn't come from the package being pinched, it comes from the area just behind and between having too much pressure on it. The bit just in front of the lower end of the crack. I'm sure there's a medical term for it.

The idea is to feel most of your weight on the two lower points of the pelvic bone. When you sit on the saddle you'll feel this. Lower the front a little at a time until you feel by far most of your weight on these two boney points and far less on that soft bit "inbetween". For some, like me, this means my saddle ends up with a good 5 to 6 degree nose down slope. A very odd angle to most folks here but it's what I need and it's based on how I'm built. If I had to ride laid over in a TT position it would end up more like 8 degrees and I'd be sliding off the darn thing all the time. Just another reason to avoid such serious riding I suppose...

A soft cushy saddle will definetly add to the problem. The seriously soft cushy saddles belong on beach cruisers where you're sitting totally upright. Any sort of agressive riding with a bit of leaning forward should have a firm but still somewhat compliant saddle to avoid very much sinking into it. If you have a softer saddle that squishes easily start with finding a harder one that deforms only under very firm but not quite painful thumb pressure. Many of these will have a center depression so you'll likely fix two issues with one alteration.... And I'm not reffering to the surgical option that some sicko above mentioned.....
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....

Flying Under the Radar X-LinkedRider's Avatar
    My Bikes
    10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think in ANY circumstance in life you are trying to sit on them, so I guess choose a side. Or get a seat that doesn't interfere. I ride on my tailbone and crotch no so much my groin, so they are never in the way.
    12' SuperiorLite SL Pro w/ Sram Rival | 10' SuperiorLite SL Club w/ Sram Force | 06' Giant FCR (Dropbar) w/ Shimano 5700 | 10' GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast