Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After 3 days of rain

Started Thursday and in the three days we have had 6" of rain. Accompanied by high winds aswell so any thoughts of riding today were slim. Road riding would be out due to the debris on the roads and a lot of standing water so out came the Bianchi for a bit of offroad. Changed over to the Mud Tyres as I thought they would be needed. They were not as any mud on the Chalk trails had been washed off them to the bottom of the hills, and even that was not too bad. Also changed one of the garmin mounts to the Bianchi as I thought it was about time I found out how steep those slopes were.

So out on the ride and a Muddy trail for about 5 miles. Not steep and and this was where I noticed the trails were clean. Underlying surface was solid but you did stay away from the muddy puddles. Most of them were in potholes that gave a jolt as you went in and a bigger one as you came out. Stay in the middle of the trail and get the smoother surface. Then it was to the true hills. Climb up longman and this starts at about 7 miles into the ride. From where we joined it today it was only a 400ft climb - on a chalk trail that was covered in green chalk. Green is moss and it was slippery and I have marked on the graph the anomoly where the garmin stopped registering as I was below 3 mph. The rear wheel was slipping most of the way up and I had a hard job to keep going forward. Glad to say that none of the 4 of us put a foot down on the climb but I did come very close. The photo at the top of the climb is of Ross and he has just got over the steepest bit. Now I know this is steep- but I did not realise that it was pushing 18%. This is the second to last hill on the 100 mile South Downs Way and I always said the two steepest hills were saved till last. This 18% bit and the next one at Butts Brow that just has a lip at the end of 22% now proves it. Luckily those steep sections are not for long but why do they come at the end of a Nasty hill? The second area of slipping is at the start of Butts Brow and it is Rough brick and stone- under trees and with that moss covering again.

Then it was time for a coffee and a bun- Should have been a Doughnut for beverly but I had 3 last night and fancied something different. Don't know what they call it but it tasted as good as it looks. Then it was 8 miles back up the MUP to home and This was the worst part of the ride. Too many dogs and Walkers out on what may be the best day for weather for the next week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I love Stapfams pictures, they include most of my favorite things.......bicycles, scenery and food..

Since the tropical storm passed this way last night and might have dumped 6" overnight I don't think there will be any trail riding today.

"Road trip"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They call it 'Tiramisu' and it was the largest one I could find in the shop! - well you did say you wanted a Gateaux so this was the next best thing!!!

I see you missed out the part about getting two punctures...

Thanks for putting my bike to bed & good luck with the wedding song.
    Last edited by rossnewark; 09-07-08 at 01:35 PM.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rossnewark View Post
    They call it 'Tiramisu' and it was the largest one I could find in the shop! - well you did say you wanted a Gateaux so this was the next best thing!!!

Thanks for put my bike to bed!
    Thanks for naming the Tiramisu but The bike is washed- oiled but not clean. And Mine needs a polish aswell.

That pic of ross coming over the top- We are not waiting for him- We are resting after a hard climb. Ross didn't and rode straight over the top.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah ok I was last up the hill (wife just teased me about as well) but the other guys had to sit around in the cold - I had some slippage but I'm trying to break in my pogo stick - lets just say its quick down hill but sloooow up hill.

I'm loosing too much forward motion with all the bouncing, even though the rear fox shock is pumped up to 250psi!

However all the extra effort is getting me fitter quicker :-)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No propedal or lockout on that rear shock? If the rear end is bouncing that much, you might want to work on smoothing out your spin. Pedal in circles, don't just mash down on the downstroke. It makes a big difference on my full suspension bike.

Tiramisu is wonderful stuff.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for advice BlueDawg.

The shock is a fox float r and has pro pedal - I usually have smooth cadence unless the incline is very steep.

The back end of the bike is much better since we invested in a shock pump and slowed down the rebound. However the front end has some awful RockShock TORO's attached to it and this is creating a bobbing effect - the preadjuster is wound to the max and the rebound knob seems to make no difference except collect crud!

The shocks are coming off soon and being replaced with a set that has remote lock out.

In the meantime I think i will dust off the family heirloom - Kona Explosif hard tail!