Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

N-2 with pleasure and pride

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-08-08, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yesterday I watched two bikes roll out of the shed and into the back of motor vehicles, headed off to new homes. While this could have been a sad day, it was not. Both bikes are going to my sons. The oldest has made the decision to return to college to get his teaching certificate and the younger son is on the same campus with two years to go. Now that they are both on the same campus, they'd decided that riding together and using a bike as primary transportation makes sense to them. In years past, they both asked about "borrowing" a bike and I've denied their requests. That is, until they could demonstrate that they would take proper care of them. Well, that time has come. Over the summer they've both worked hard to meet the criteria I set for them to show the level of responsibility I need to see before letting one of my beloved bikes go. So, with pride, pleasure, and the opportunity to remember some of the wonderful rides both bikes gave me, I'm now N-2.

Hmmmm..... Only six of the seven hooks I hang my bikes on are filled now. I wonder how long I can bear to see that empty hook?
Old 09-08-08, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That empty hook is already full, full of posibilities!!!!

Congrats on raising responsible young men.
Old 09-08-08, 07:42 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Man, I know the feeling on this one as you can tell from this post a couple of years ago.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...043&highlight=

FYI, we rebuilt the bike this past summer and its now a really neat commuter and/or tough-as-nails 26" tourer with tires, wheels, drop bars, new crankset, barcons, etc. Maybe I'll post some pics. He has also become a little more responsible and wants to start doing some road riding so he can start with the Antelope.

Last edited by Monoborracho; 09-08-08 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-08-08, 10:34 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
That sounds like as good a reason as any to part with bikes. One small correction, though. You are not now N-2. You are N. You were N-2 for the moment you parted with the bikes, but now you are N. Looking forward to hearing how you go through N+1 to get to your new N.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 09-08-08 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-08-08, 10:46 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
So what color will the new bike be?
Old 09-08-08, 11:14 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I must be a couple years older than you BSLeVan. My two boys are now done with college and have begun to build their own fleets of bikes. The only problem is one son lives in an appartment and only has room for his road bike, so my garage is home to his Cevelo TT bike and his Giant MTB. The other son just began teaching this year and is still living at home and the garage holds his Felt F1, Cannondale cross bike and the SS I built up for his 21st birthday. I deal with the clutter and bike maintenance because I get riding partners in lieu of rent.