Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Double your Bday Ride

It's becoming a tradition for me to do a "double your Birthday ride". It seems to be getting more challenging but it's really just adding 2 miles per year. Although since age 50 it's now 12 more miles since I'm now approaching 56!!

I'm really, really irked with myself for putting on a few pounds and just can't reduce the calories enough to get the unwanted weight off. It doesn't make any difference on the flats or on short climbs but it feels like a tremendous drag on the longer climbs. Part of my purpose for today's ride was to burn more calories....

Anyway, I did a fairly flat (6000+ ft of climbing) 112 miles. It took a little longer than I'd hoped but it did get pretty warm the last 20 miles so I backed off spun some easier gears.

I had thought about doing a double metric but it was getting so warm the cool glass of water back at the house had my name all over it.

Here's the elevation profile. The destination was a state park 55 miles from my house that has a 4 mile climb so that is the peak towards the middle.

Even with the additional weight I managed to set a new Personal Best in our 10 mile Time Trials at the last event. I have been playing more golf and not been riding as much and somehow managed to shave almost 30 seconds off my previous best and averaged over 26 mph. I haven't figured out how that happened.......

Any other September Bdays our there?

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you did your age times 100 in elevation gained.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A "flat" 112 mile ride with only 6000 feet of climbing. What do we have to do to get you motivated??!!
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the ride and happy birthday!

My weekend ride was 6,000+ feet, and that ain't flat in my book! It was a record for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another 50+ rider to which I can say, "Nicely done!" BTW, you've been playing more golf and put on a few pounds that you can't seem to take off? Do you see any connection here, he asks tongue in cheek"? Oh, and happy birthday.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

The "now retired" Old Guy Ed in GA's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A double my age birthday ride. Hmmmmmmm!

Maybe in 2009. Since I just started riding in July, 128 miles might be a little tough by December.

Maybe 130 next year though.
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that you consider 6K "fairly flat" and that the ride wasn't too tough says a lot about you and your ability. I know what you mean about the weight, it used to be a lot easier to drop a few pounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had thought about doubling my birthday miles back in June,
    but only managed to do my age + 1 mile.

Congrats on a job well done.