Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N-2 with pleasure and pride

Yesterday I watched two bikes roll out of the shed and into the back of motor vehicles, headed off to new homes. While this could have been a sad day, it was not. Both bikes are going to my sons. The oldest has made the decision to return to college to get his teaching certificate and the younger son is on the same campus with two years to go. Now that they are both on the same campus, they'd decided that riding together and using a bike as primary transportation makes sense to them. In years past, they both asked about "borrowing" a bike and I've denied their requests. That is, until they could demonstrate that they would take proper care of them. Well, that time has come. Over the summer they've both worked hard to meet the criteria I set for them to show the level of responsibility I need to see before letting one of my beloved bikes go. So, with pride, pleasure, and the opportunity to remember some of the wonderful rides both bikes gave me, I'm now N-2.

Hmmmm..... Only six of the seven hooks I hang my bikes on are filled now. I wonder how long I can bear to see that empty hook?
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That empty hook is already full, full of posibilities!!!!

Congrats on raising responsible young men.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I know the feeling on this one as you can tell from this post a couple of years ago.

The Antelope is Heading for the Plains.

FYI, we rebuilt the bike this past summer and its now a really neat commuter and/or tough-as-nails 26" tourer with tires, wheels, drop bars, new crankset, barcons, etc. Maybe I'll post some pics. He has also become a little more responsible and wants to start doing some road riding so he can start with the Antelope.
    Last edited by Monoborracho; 09-08-08 at 07:46 AM.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like as good a reason as any to part with bikes. One small correction, though. You are not now N-2. You are N. You were N-2 for the moment you parted with the bikes, but now you are N. Looking forward to hearing how you go through N+1 to get to your new N.
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 09-08-08 at 10:45 AM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what color will the new bike be?

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must be a couple years older than you BSLeVan. My two boys are now done with college and have begun to build their own fleets of bikes. The only problem is one son lives in an appartment and only has room for his road bike, so my garage is home to his Cevelo TT bike and his Giant MTB. The other son just began teaching this year and is still living at home and the garage holds his Felt F1, Cannondale cross bike and the SS I built up for his 21st birthday. I deal with the clutter and bike maintenance because I get riding partners in lieu of rent.