User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What will it mean to 50+ if Armstrong unretires?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26609987/

I know its already been reported in the TDF forum but I think that there are many here who were fans of this man for a number of years.

Edit: I don't know about you, but I am thrilled.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Retirement Sucks. My goal is 65 to retire then go pro.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it will be fantastic. It will be the reuniting of Johan Bruyneel with Armstrong. Together, they are one of the winningest director / athlete combinations in pro sports - 7 world class wins in a row. I recently finished reading Bruyneel's book "We might as well win." Among many things, it discusses his relationship with Lance, their strategies for winning and professional cycling. I liked it.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's really good news to me. I've read most of the books about Lance and he truly is a pro, in more ways than one.
    George

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope his return to racing will save the Tour de Georgia. But I think these are just rumors. Astana has denied the whole thing.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

rae
    My Bikes
    1982 Nishiki Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've gotten used to rooting for other teams and riders. If he were not able to compete with the same intensity and ability as before it would be sad; few pros seem to compete much past 36. Maybe he will still be the same old Lance (with the same controversies?) and that would be interesting.

rae
    My Bikes
    1982 Nishiki Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, BD, I read that the TdG is in danger. That would be a real shame! Is it lack of sponsorship or lack of interest in the state (or both?)

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a Lance fan, but somehow, I don't really want him to unretire. I like the fact that he's moving on. I am always a bit disappointed when athletes unretire (are you listening Favre?). But I wish him the best.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still waiting for Michael Jordon's next comeback.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be a lot different than Favre retiring. Favre unretired 5 weeks before the next training camp. Technically, he barely missed a practice. And he never fully committed to retiring, never once telling the Packers that he was sure he was going to retire.

OTOH, Armstrong has missed 3 years of competitive racing.

What makes it more difficult for someone like Lance to unretire is that he probably wouldn't be satisfied with a 10th place finish in the TdF. Most athletes can slip a bit and still be satisfied. Say a baseball player who hit .310 with 40 hr in their prime, but in their later years slips to .280 w/30 hr. Or golfers that slip from winning 3-4 tournaments a year to having the occasional top 5 finish & rare win.

That's a problem for Favre too. He can't gracefully slide from being the ace pitcher to being an effective #4 starter for his last couple of years. He's got to be a starting NFL QB leading his teams to wins.

Lance could come back and compete for top 10 finishes or wins in minor races. Or compete for age group titles. But I'm not sure that would be enough for him. He'd want to make a run at major wins. At least that's my impression. I could be wrong.

He could be the catalyst for creating great interest in Master's events. Much like golfers like Arnold Palmer made the PGA Senior Tour more significant.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Referring to Bruyneel's book, Lance and Bruyneel are winners. Anything other than winning is not acceptable. If Lance returns, he must believe he can win. Otherwise, it will be similar to other so called comebacks that in many ways tarnished professional athletes' records. Unlike golf, this is no masters pro tour.

Bruyneel portrays Lance as having much more capability than he allowed him to use in winning the 7 TdFs. There were specific races where Lance was told to hold back. One of my favorite examples of this was a race up Alpe D'Huez. Bruyneel wanted Lance to let a credible racer but not a contender win the stage. As Lance is going through the motions of appearing to chase the lead group he radios Bruyneel that he could beat these guys on a tricycle. Assuming it is true, Lance is very tough. His retirement was more about "Hey, I am tired of the grind to do what is necessary to win. He is a smart guy and although nothing is certain, he must believe he can do what it takes to win....again. Welcome back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim View Post
    I'm a Lance fan, but somehow, I don't really want him to unretire. I like the fact that he's moving on. I am always a bit disappointed when athletes unretire (are you listening Favre?). But I wish him the best.
    I keep thinking of the great Willie Mays and his last few pathetic seasons when he was in the lineup only because he was Willie Mays. Sad.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I keep thinking of the great Willie Mays and his last few pathetic seasons when he was in the lineup only because he was Willie Mays. Sad.
    Wasn't just Mays either. Lots of baseball stars have hung on too long. Consider the following:

Name - BA - HR - RBI

Mays .211 - 6 - 25
    Aaron .229 - 10 - 35
    McCovey .204 - 1 -16
    Mantle .237 - 18 - 54 (and Mantle was only 36)
    F. Robinson .224 - 3 - 10
    Killebrew .199 - 14 - 44
    Santo .221 - 5 - 40
    E. Matthews .212 - 3 - 8
    Ruth .181 - 6 -12

And so on and so forth. These were the stats from the last season played by these great players.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He`s going to come back and ride for Astana? Can`t imagine Contador is going to be riding as a domestique for Lance. He`s won the Giro, he`ll very likely win the Vuelta. I`d be pretty shocked to see him riding in support anyone in a Grand Tour. In anycase, it`ll be interesting...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my opinion, but I think he's a fool to do it.

I think that at this point he would do better to run a team or focus on inspiring kids. But as far as I know, Lance has yet to ask me for my opinion.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad he is back BUT he is going to ride for free but I'm sure he will get endorsements.

I'll enjoy The Tour next years
    Burr,
    I Push Iron & Turn Cranks!
    Yoga, Pilates & Orchids
    I Stay Busy, I have GOPD

The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a very good point.
    Burr,
    I Push Iron & Turn Cranks!
    Yoga, Pilates & Orchids
    I Stay Busy, I have GOPD

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it'll suck the oxygen out of American cycling.

My Bikes
    trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to start another rumor, but I wouldn't be surprised if the reason Astana is unaware of this whole thing is because Columbia is still tying to ink the deal. Perfect fit for that team. Back with George and Kirchen for support. Think about it... an american team with great sprinters and great climbers all in one. Fantastic marketing move for Columbia.

My Bikes
    04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spoke50 View Post
    Not to start another rumor, but I wouldn't be surprised if the reason Astana is unaware of this whole thing is because Columbia is still tying to ink the deal. Perfect fit for that team. Back with George and Kirchen for support. Think about it... an american team with great sprinters and great climbers all in one. Fantastic marketing move for Columbia.
    Something like this seems more likely to me....just can't see the stars in Astana laying down for LA to make a comeback. Levi is no spring chicken, how many years does he have left? Contador got cheated out of his chance to repeat. Don't know where Johan fits in, but....who knows?

Seems that this all started because LA signed back up for out-of-competition drug testing....
    Last edited by luv2cruz; 09-09-08 at 07:20 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2cruz View Post
    Something like this seems more likely to me....just can't see the stars in Astana laying down for LA to make a comeback. Levi is no spring chicken, how many years does he have left?
    Levi is 35, just two years younger than Lance, and a year older than Lance was when he retired.

If Lance does ride in the TdF next year, he would be just a couple of months short of his 38th birthday.

But then again, Dara Torres did well for herself at 40+, and the aforementioned Brett Favre was 2nd in the NFL MVP voting last year at 38. Michael Jordan averaged 20 points per game in the NBA at 40. Sometimes the great ones can perform at high levels well past what would be a normal person's prime.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is possible, that Lance might come back as a mentor, perhaps as an assistant manager on wheels (sort of like the player coaches in lower tiers of professional sports). This might point toward a position as team manager down the road. Certainly he has a wealth of knowledge to pass on to others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He'll probably get traded to the Jets.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be interesting. I'd enjoy watching as long as he has a good attitude. I think the odds of him winning are infintesimal. If he's okay with not winning, should that be the case, then I'm for it (though of course I'd enjoy seeing him win his eighth; it would be even more miraculous than seven!) However, I'd MUCH rather see him get 19th place or 102nd, or not finish at all than to have him do well, only to find out that he'd been doping. I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt on that. He's never tested positive and he says he didn't so he's innocent until proven guilty, as far as I'm concerned. It would really make me mad and disgust me if he doped this time.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was just on the news that Lance himself said he's coming back. Too raise awareness of cancer worldwide.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast