Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    centurions (lemans and sports dlx both 1981)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a saddle for the seat

i see a whole bunch or "recommendations" for saddles for different types of riding. what i don't see is recommendations for the over 50 seat. you know, the seat we sit in those saddles. let's face it. at 50+ some of us wouldn't look too good in those streatchy skin tight shorts with the padding in the shorts. damn i must be old i don't even know what they are called. but face facts, most youngsters would rather face a firing squad than face our "mature" fannies in those wierd pants. so what's a good saddle for the seat of our seat? and with or without padding, on the saddle, not the seat?

mud
    My Bikes
    07 Fuji Professional 2.0, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 62, lycra + Brooks saddle = Happy Butt!
    I'm not old! I've always been wrinkled, balding with a spare tire.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride more and tone up that flabby fanny. My butt still looks just fine in lycra bike shorts, or so I'm told.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Do I use too many commas?
    My Bikes
    Giant Yukon SE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lycra rules. And my B.17 is the best. Just get over the embarrassment and do it!

Taken at work last week prior to my commute home.
    Last edited by WillisB; 09-10-08 at 04:28 AM.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revelstone View Post
    so what's a good saddle for the seat of our seat? and with or without padding, on the saddle, not the seat?
    I have a Terry Fly (second one) on my commuter and a (men's) Terry Fly for the Cure on my road bike. I also wear bibs whether I'm commuting to work or out on the road bike. And I'm 63.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

The "now retired" Old Guy Ed in GA's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i see a whole bunch or "recommendations" for saddles for different types of riding.

you know, the seat we sit in those saddles. let's face it. at 50+ some of us wouldn't look too good in those streatchy skin tight shorts with the padding in the shorts.

most youngsters would rather face a firing squad than face our "mature" fannies in those wierd pants. so what's a good saddle for the seat of our seat? and with or without padding, on the saddle, not the seat?
    I'm still experimenting with saddles so I'll have to get back to you later on that one.

However, I wear Lycra Bib Shorts everytime I ride. I rode in gym shorts the first couple of times I rode and found them to be very uncomfortable, so I bought padded bib shorts. Big time difference. I like the lycra/spandex jerseys as well.

Finally, I'm 63 y/o, weigh 245# and don't really care what the young folks think I look like when in my bike attire.
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't want to wear lycra shorts there are quality baggy shorts available with padding built in. Anyone who has tried lycra will tell you they work, however.
    As for saddles, I am not in the Brooks camp and prefer narrow lycra covered saddles from Selle San Marco.

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 62, started at 210#, down to 185 so far. I ride a Specialized Crosstrail Hybrid.

I wear lycra because it really does make bicycling better. The heck with what it looks like. It allows me to ride over 42 miles every day in relative comfort, and I can't ride out of the saddle because of a bad knee.

My new Brooks B-17 seat means I don't have to if I don't want to, as it is just about as comfortable in regular clothes. But, boy, is that damned thing hard.

It is in the process of being broken in, and gets better with every ride. I just hope the damn hard thing doesn't get tooooo damned soft. (This seat really is amazing - but you have to fiddle with it to get it set right - mine took a lot of fiddling before I got it dialed in perfectly. I usually like a seat perfectly level. This one ended up very slightly nose up to keep me from sliding forward, and a very slight touch lower than others.)

The heck with what anyone thinks I look like, as I'm doing it for me! (I actually ran across my sister in law, in a downtown area yesterday; and, she said I was lookin pretty good for an old guy!) LOL

Maybe I should get some white or colored shorts...................... Nahhhh!

Next time I'll get a honey colored Brooks, though, as it's a gorgeoous seat to look at....even though the black does go nice with my black bike.

Did I mention that the Brooks is amazingly comfortable for such a damned hard thing? And, also, that it soaks up bumps like it's made out of jello? But, boy, is it ever damned hard.

I'd buy another Brooks in a heartbeat. It actually felt pretty good right out of the box, hard or not. And, the sit bone spots are softening up a little more with every ride. But, they are still hard (I just don't understand it!)

p.s. The Specialized Body Geometry seat sits pretty nice,too; but, requires bike shorts to be really comfortable on anything over 20 miles.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    If you don't want to wear lycra shorts there are quality baggy shorts available with padding built in. ...
    That is what I wear for all of my transportation/utility cycling and most of my club riding, as well. I believe mine are called "Expedition Shorts" at REI, and they have numerous pockets, including a zippered one for my wallet. They are essentially padded bike shorts sewn inside regular hiking shorts. The leg elastics read "Never a Bad Time to Ride," but at one of the seams this becomes, "Never Time to Ride." I think the seam of the other leg reads, "Never Ride."

As for saddles, nothing beats a Brooks Pro or Team Pro.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i see a whole bunch or "recommendations" for saddles for different types of riding. what i don't see is recommendations for the over 50 seat. you know, the seat we sit in those saddles. let's face it. at 50+ some of us wouldn't look too good in those streatchy skin tight shorts with the padding in the shorts. damn i must be old i don't even know what they are called. but face facts, most youngsters would rather face a firing squad than face our "mature" fannies in those wierd pants. so what's a good saddle for the seat of our seat? and with or without padding, on the saddle, not the seat?
    1) lycra is damned comfortable.
    2) brooks b-17 seat is awesome (but damned hard)
    3) most of the youngsters are significantly faster than me, so very few of them will be looking at my 50+ butt.
    4) i don't really care what somebody else thinks about how i look. i am riding for me. if they don't like the view, they can pass me (very easy) or close their eyes (not suggested.)

be well,

ride far and prosper,

jim
    Be in this moment.
    Do not seek the truth. Accept it.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lycra with a bit of padding works- and most will tell you that. But on the saddles and there are three camps- Brooks- No Brooks and stuff the Brooks.

Brooks and me do not get on together but I have found that saddle comfort comes in a variety of guises. Gell padded- Fine for about an hour. Wide saddles for wide butts- Does not work. Cheap saddles that are supplied OM on the new bike. They are like cheap plastic pedals- Just so you can ride the bike away from the shop. Then you start on the saddles people use and it if you have 50 riders- there will be 51 saddles.

So sorry- Can't help- I know what works for me on 3 of the 4 bikes I normally ride (The 4th one hurts after 4 hours) I can tell you that Selle make some good saddles- so do San Marco- so do a few other makes but you and your butt are on your own.

My only suggestion is to go to as many shops as you can- Find bikes that are similarly set up to yours and sit on them. One of them may feel comfortable so start looking at saddles of that type.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's just about as many different shapes, thicknesses, designs of saddles out there as there are butts. And no two saddles seem to fit an anatomy the same. I just tried one of the Serfas saddles, the Dorado, and while it's a firm saddle, have found it to be more comfortable than many I've tried (a wider saddle, which suits me). One of these days I'll clear the moths out of the billfold and try a Brooks or Selle An-Atomica. Both seem to get lots of very good reviews. For the money, they should! Many brands offer a money back guarantee if you return a saddle within a given time frame. I tried a Terry from an online store, didn't care for it, and returned it with no problems. The Serfas was ordered by my LBS, who said he'd return it if I didn't like it, but never had to.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Ride more and tone up that flabby fanny. My butt still looks just fine in lycra bike shorts, or so I'm told.
    You've submitted a lot of pics here, but I don't remember any butt pics.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have brought this topic back up because I am also looking for a new saddle. I have been riding my Road bike with the stock saddle now for a few weeks and a bit over 300 miles and while my sit bones are doing better there still is a bit of a sore spot I don’t care to describe. Yes I have been adjusting the saddle ever so slightly and I believe I have it about as good as it is going to get. So fortunately my LBS will let me ride before I buy and I have decided to try an ISM Adamo Road. I can ride it a few days and then decide if I want to buy it. They will even give me credit for my old saddle. However they have also suggested a Stella that is designed a bit like the ISM but a bit harder.

http://no-nose.com/
    Last edited by RonH; 10-02-08 at 07:38 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the advantages of being as old as I am is that I don't give a rat's arse what most youngsters think about my personal appearance. My seats have gotten lighter, flatter, and firmer over the years, and they seem to be working just fine. So, my recommendation is that after one has ridden enough to firm up some of those backside muscles, that one gets a flat, firm seat and then spend ample time getting the adjustment dialed in. I've found that seats with too much padding are good for short rides, but for longer one, you sink down in and get pressure discomfort in places you wouldn't with a firm flat perch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LWB recumbents have the most comfortable seats out there. bk

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    One of the advantages of being as old as I am is that I don't give a rat's arse what most youngsters think about my personal appearance. My seats have gotten lighter, flatter, and firmer over the years, and they seem to be working just fine. So, my recommendation is that after one has ridden enough to firm up some of those backside muscles, that one gets a flat, firm seat and then spend ample time getting the adjustment dialed in. I've found that seats with too much padding are good for short rides, but for longer one, you sink down in and get pressure discomfort in places you wouldn't with a firm flat perch.

My problem isnít with the sit bone area as much as with a more in-between area. I have put 300 miles on my stock seat and I am able to ride 40-50 miles with only minor aches and pains. But the one small pain I do have bothers me. My hope is that the Adamo I posted will relieve the problem. MY LBS is willing to let me test the Saddles before I buy. If not I am prepared to put more miles into the stock saddle or maybe look into a Sella V2 or Strike TRK.

My Bikes
    lynskey cross 29 er teesdale custom snow bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had brooks but nothing compares to sella anatomica great right out of the bag

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only upright bike riding I am doing these days is on a tandem sitting on a WTB Rocket V Race, which is quite tolerable. (The seat has a Love Channel)
    No comparison to the RANS Comfy Chair on both my 'bents.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    I have had brooks but nothing compares to sella anatomica great right out of the bag
    I sorta like the Adamo but before I make up my mind I plan on giving the Sella a try. So far the ISM saddle relieves the pressure in the spot I wanted it to on todays 40 mile ride. However the sit bone area seems a bit flat for my particular bottom. I will work on the adjustment a bit before I make up my mind but the design itself seems to work well.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd suggest also looking at Specialized.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post

As for saddles, nothing beats a Brooks Pro or Team Pro.

Thats right!!!
    ~ "I like the way the brake cables come out of the top of the levers and loop around to the brake calipers!...I like those downtube shifters too!...No no no, don't take 'em off, don't take 'em off,...leave 'em on, leave 'em on! - Thats right baby!!

~BF - Steel Club Member #00051

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wino Ryder View Post
    Thats right!!!
    The reason I am not exploring Brooks is because they don't address the area I am complaining about. The Sella and the Adamo have nothing there to put pressure where I don't want it. The butt isn't the problem I can deal with that. Take a look at the ISM Adamo Road saddle and you can get an idea of what I am looking for.

http://no-nose.com/

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must have an extreme problem to be looking into such extreme solutions. For most people a Brooks saddle does address the problem of pressure on the 'taint area by suspending it above the saddle. There is no pressure because you aren't sinking into the saddle as you would on a padded saddle. The sit bones carry the weight.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    You must have an extreme problem to be looking into such extreme solutions. For most people a Brooks saddle does address the problem of pressure on the 'taint area by suspending it above the saddle. There is no pressure because you aren't sinking into the saddle as you would on a padded saddle. The sit bones carry the weight.
    Not an extreme Problem just an irritating one. Even my stock seat was getting better after 300 miles and finally I have it pretty level giving me better balance I guess because my hands arenít hurting. But I donít think my complaint is rare. Look how many new saddles are now being made with a channel of missing material down the center. From the first minute I sat on the Adamo even before I did any personal adjustment I could tell there was no pressure at all in the crotch. That was with a slight nose up tilt. The Sella looks to be a similar design, maybe a bit stiffer. It isnít a no nose per say but it has a very deep channel relieving any pressure. Looking at the line of Brooks Saddles I donít see any such cutouts to minimize any contact in that area. I am not looking to go with a saddle that has no nose for my road bike but I do want a lightweight saddle that is more comfortable than what I have been riding to date.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast