Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Surprised on Rail Trail

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Surprised on Rail Trail

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-08, 09:49 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were going too fast.
I took it as a compliment. I think it was the first time ever it's even been implied that I might have been going fast.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 09-10-08, 10:06 PM
another cat...FAB!

Bikes: Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I've commented here many times about the simplicity on riding on my local rail trails, where the usage is very light - to the point of sometimes riding 20+ miles without passing another biker or walker. Thus I haven't had the problems that many people report on busy MUPs.

The other day I'm out for a ride, and being a beautiful day, there are more than normal trail users. Still well short of busy, but over every 5 miles I'm seeing about 6-8 people. Nearly all of them being recreational trail riders, with small kids or older couples out for a relaxing ride.

So I'm riding along, heading for home, just a couple of miles to go. I see a walker up ahead of me, a good half-mile from me, walking in the same direction as I'm traveling. I gradually come up on her. She's hanging on the right edge of the trail, walking a very straight line. No headphones on. My tires are crunching through the gravel. Walkers without headphones always hear me on these trails. Hard to sneak up on someone.

I pull out on the left and start to announce my pressure by calling out "Passing" as I almost always do. But for some reason, I don't bother. It seemed pointless, as I was making enough noise and she had been hugging the right lane for as long as I had seen her.

So right as I go to pass her, when I'm about 10' behind her, without looking, she steps directly to her left, into the left lane and directly into my path. I was shocked. I yell "Watch Out", squeeze both brakes, both tires skid briefly on the gravel, then I hard cut to my right, and start pedaling. Somehow I barely miss hitting her. I continue to fight for control of the bike for a couple of secs & then regain it and begin pedaling normally.

She yells out from behind me ... Sorry, I didn't hear you! But I was so focused on getting control of the bike, and in dealing with my irritation for her stepping in front of me, that I didn't say anything back. That is so unlike me. A few seconds later I wished that I had, but at the time, I had no words for her. I would have said that I should have made sure she knew I was there, but that she should also look before she changes lanes on a bike path. At least I didn't curse her.
My lesson learned is ... despite every factor suggesting that it was safe to pass, don't assume that you shouldn't make sure they know you're there. I should have said "Passing." And I should mount a little bell on my bike to make a more distinct noise. I had one on there, but it jingled as I rode over gravel, so I took it off.
So well said.

One thing I use is one of those high intensity front lights in flashing mode. I'm thinking that people that we come up from behind might see some of the flashing off of the road or foliage. Of course, these lights (like the Dinotte) can be really annoying to oncoming cyclists, so I cover them when another cyclist approaches.
Old 09-11-08, 12:21 AM

Bikes: Giant CRX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
Kids seem to be the most unpredictable on the paths. I always slow down to a snail's pace when passing them
And dogs off the lead. I slowed to a crawl the other day to a dog coming the other way and it still crossed right in front at the last second and got a nudge on the hindquarters. At least the owner had the grace to apologize.
Old 09-11-08, 12:24 AM

Bikes: Giant CRX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Went out at lunch today and bought a new brass Incredibell. It was 68 degrees and clear blue skies. Had my Fuji in my car and so I took a ride around one of our lakes. Really nice. All paved MUPs and some low traffic back streets. Will admit that I stretched the lunch "hour" to 90 minutes. Hard to come back in for afternoon meetings.

Ding - Ding ... I can now announce my presence.
I bought an Incredibell 'Big Brass Bell' the other day too -- the 'briiing-briiing' type. I reckon it's great - a loud, friendly ring. People always move over or give me a wave. Much better than the anemic 'ting ting' bell that came as stock.
Old 09-12-08, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
That's a really good idea if you ride regularly on MUP's.

Bells can be heard from a long ways away, are instantly identifiable as an overtaking bicycle, and don't have the "startle factor" that can sometimes happen when trying to announce "Passing" or "On Your Left".

Unfortunately, they don't work with the ever growing legions of "Pod people" - for those just cruise by 'em with about 6" of clearance and a deep-voiced "Hi!!!", and watch 'em jump in your rearview mirror.
I have found that voice or bell has no influence on the startle factor, I don't even bother with the bell anymore. One particular person I passed twice(on an out and back ride), both times I used the bell, she jumped just as much the second time as the first. The usual response to the bell is to stop and look, not many people use bells so it's not that common a sound. Older people will jump more than younger people.
As for the "pod people", if they are young, I tend to pass them closer than an older person.
What really gets me though, is the person on a bike that insists on riding on the opposite side of the trail as everybody else. 99.99 percent of the people, walkers, runners, and cyclist, and people on bikes, stay to the right. The .01% that has to be on the left, facing traffic as it where, can be a big problem. I yelled a warnig to a person on the wrong side the other day, said "wrong side of the road" as I passed, she did not take the comment kindly.
Old 09-12-08, 04:15 PM
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bab2000
Last night approached a couple walking same direction and a jogger approaching, with no room to pass we slowed, made them aware we were behind, and waited for the jogger to clear, then from behind, no sound no announcement, a person in mid thirties on MTB shoots past us and just clears the jogger because the folks in front of us had just stepped of the path.
That has happened to me. More than once. The problem for me is everyone on a bike thinks I'm slow (as in speed, I hope not witted), anyway, I've wound up repassing some of these cyclists. I do take my time sometimes passing people on foot because I do very much understand how hard it is to hear someone approaching from behind. I too, am caught by surprise sometimes cause I can barely hear a bell unless they're really close. I do daydream while I'm riding cause I'm so relaxed. The wind whistling past my ears drowns out many noises. I also can't tell which direction the sound is coming from. That's from my poor hearing.
If you were to approach my daughter from behind she also can't tell which direction the sound is coming from cause she only hears out of one ear.
Only if I have a good view and no people on foot near do I go over 20 mph on a MUP.
Old 09-12-08, 06:57 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Originally Posted by bmorey
And dogs off the lead. I slowed to a crawl the other day to a dog coming the other way and it still crossed right in front at the last second and got a nudge on the hindquarters. At least the owner had the grace to apologize.
please tell me an unleashed dog on a mup is illegal
Old 09-12-08, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
please tell me an unleashed dog on a mup is illegal
Pretty much any place that's populated there is a leash law. More so, its responsible dog ownership to have your dog on a leash at a place like a mup. I know, that's a lot to ask.
Old 09-12-08, 09:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do 90% of my riding on a fabulous MUP, the W+OD in Northern VA, I ride at 20mph + and never announce my passing. The W+OD is very crowed, has a high degree of i-Pods including myself and I have found it much safer for everyone not to shout out every ten seconds Passing on your Left. All it does on a crowed path is cause trouble. I'd much rather pass cleanly and without fanfare.