Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Ghetto ride

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ghetto ride

I ride alot in what some might consider "bad" neighborhoods because, honestly, that's where I live. I've never had any problems....I just say a friendly hello to everyone I meet and keep on riding. You'd be surprised that some of the baddest-looking chollos you've ever seen light up like a Christmas tree, smile and return the greeting. I try to treat people like human beings and not as potential threats and it usually works out. But it didn't quite get it today.

The wife and I have been looking at houses in the area; she found one she said was '''cute" and as it was pretty close (around 10 miles) so I took the bike to see it. I figured I'd check out the neighborhood, and the only real way to do that is at street level. Well the house happened to be on top of this monster hill. I was just getting to the top of this *****, huffing and puffing away when I noticed this old man standing on the corner kind of glaring at me. Then he looks across the street to my left, nods and walks quickly away.
    At that same instant two men sprint out of the bushes ten yards to my right and try to knock me off the bike. I simply made a quick u-turn and was doing thirty-five in a few seconds...but it really was close. I thought about telling the cops but there were no witnesses and they could well be in TJ by now.

All I'm saying is be aware of your surroundings.

My Bikes
    Giant CRX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow - frightening stuff. Must be a lawless neighnourhood. I was going to say I can't imagine that happening here in Melbourne except it did a couple of weeks ago, in a tony suburb:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...2-2862,00.html
    Last edited by bmorey; 09-11-08 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Spelling

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the report pressman57,

I work in south Los Angeles and would really like to bike-commute to work, but everyone I've asked has said: "Don't do it!"

Not sure if we're in Crits or Bloods territory here, plus there are chollo's too and maybe Asian gangs of some sort.

My question has always been, "Is this fear real, or just imagined?" I like your approach though, and I only wonder if I would be as quick to react as you were if I were to be attacked.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in a fairly nice neighborhood. Here they don't jump out of the bushes. They just try to run you over with their SUVs.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I guess that house got crossed off the list?

I have been cliped into those pedals myself, you owe the old guy a thank you.

My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon / Kona PhD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pressman57 View Post
    I thought about telling the cops but there were no witnesses and they could well be in TJ by now.
    You are the witness, and they could well be back in those bushes right now waiting for the next rider to be slowed by that hill long enough to jump them for their bike. Those idiots are likely there for that very reason.

By not reporting it to make the police aware of the situation you make it that much easier for the next hapless rider who comes along to be victimized. Do the neighborhood a favor and report it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Thanks for the report pressman57,

I work in south Los Angeles and would really like to bike-commute to work, but everyone I've asked has said: "Don't do it!"

Not sure if we're in Crits or Bloods territory here, plus there are chollo's too and maybe Asian gangs of some sort.

My question has always been, "Is this fear real, or just imagined?" I like your approach though, and I only wonder if I would be as quick to react as you were if I were to be attacked.

Rick / OCRR
    Hey Rick, I didn't mean to scare you off. I've been riding every other day in less than suburban surroundings for months and this is the only problem I've encountered, and I feel that this is an isolated incident. I think you're more likely to be struck by an SUV driven by a soccer-mom on her cell-phone than to be jumped by drug-crazed maniac in South LA.

Is the fear real or imagined? I really don't know. The fear keeps you sharp, keeps you pumping that bike a little bit faster, keeps your perceptions a little bit keener. When you get to work you'll know you've been somewhere. It may keep things in better perspective.

I dunno. It does so for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    So I guess that house got crossed off the list?

I have been cliped into those pedals myself, you owe the old guy a thank you.
    I went back by the house today ,circled the block and saw two more cars pull up; circled again and they were gone. Drug house. Got to be. I wouldn't live there with five pitt-dogs and twenty Claymore mines

My Bikes
    Trek 7.6 FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scary report! Yikes!!!!!
    They would have had me and my bike for breakfast since the fastest my senior body can pedal is quite a bit less than 35 miles per hour.
    "The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we might become." Charles Dubois