Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First ride with the big dogs +1

Today I took my new Road bike out to ride with the faster group in our club ride. The road bike group has a longer route and usually adds some climbs in their rides. To be honest the ride turned out to be a lot different than I expected.

I thought I would be dropped like a bad habit within the first three or four miles but I held on to the pack for about 8 miles and didnít lose sight of them till we got to the bottom of an 8-mile canyon climb. If any of you have read any of my posts you will remember that climbing is not one of my favorite things. About two miles into the climb I told one of the riders that had stayed back to show me the way to take off and I would catch him on his way back down the canyon. I managed to keep plugging away till we got to mile 7 when I noticed most of the riders coming back down.

I didnít know where the turn around point was so I turned around when I didnít see any more riders coming in my direction and turned around with the hope that they were going to stop back at the bottom of the canyon to regroup. About a mile and a half later I pulled up behind one of our stronger club riders as he was putting on a windbreaker. When he took off again I managed to hold on to his back wheel till we caught most of the other rides and we did stop at the bottom of the canyon.

Once we were all back together we proceeded to a coffee shop and discussed the days ride.

What was my impression? I was tired, my saddle felt hard and I didnít climb very well. However I recovered faster than I expected, I will get used to the saddle, and I will climb better next time. My average speed was the fastest it has been and that was for a ride 10 miles longer than I normally ride, 35 rather than 25.

I didnít get any pictures during the ride. It was all I could do to get oxygen.

Last edited by Robert Foster; 09-12-08 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Title change

My Bikes
    LeMond Sarthe, OCR A1, OCR 2, Cypress DX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I ride solo, I always like to know how fast are the big dogs? Also whats your new road bike? Where in So Cal do you ride?
    2011 Soma Double Cross
    2008 Lemond Sarthe
    2008 Giant OCR A1

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride solo on the road- but in a group offroad. You will find that you will have offdays quite often in group riding- -----Till you get the On Day. You will stay with the group- Not feel too bad and really enjoy it.

Enjoy it while it lasts as after that- You will be up and down till you get the fitness right- The training right and put the effort in only where it matters. Then it will suddenly come that the sprint for the hill top and you are the one the others have to chase- Consistently.

Hang in there and keep training.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job on your first ride with the "big dogs". Don't get discouraged and go back for next week's ride. From my experiance when I first started to ride in groups then with the "A" riders it is important to stay within the pack no matter what. Most times everyone is suffering to some extent and once over the hill the pace will come back to you once the latic acid gets flushed. Your lungs will burn and the legs will ache but that doesn't mean your toasted. Average speed for group rides depends on where the ride goes, how many times it stops of lights, re-goupping (if they do), hills, pace line work, etc... On two group rides this week one averaged 20.4 for 26 miles and the 2nd averaged 18.9 mph for 24 miles. I worked harder on the 18.9 mph average ride due to hills and sprints that the group did, then the re-groupping afterwards. The 20.4 mph avrage ride was more like a race where the group kept riding and shed off riders as they couldn't keep pace. I got shelled with 4 miles to go on that ride. I made it over the last hill but could not match the speed on the younger guys on the flat at the top.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GREAT!

You have made tremendous improvements.

It is really fun to read your posts and hear abaout your progress.

Keep on tellin us.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    Today I took my new Road bike out to ride with the faster group in our club ride. The road bike group has a longer route and usually adds some climbs in their rides. To be honest the ride turned out to be a lot different than I expected.

I thought I would be dropped like a bad habit within the first three or four miles but I held on to the pack for about 8 miles and didnít lose sight of them till we got to the bottom of an 8-mile canyon climb. If any of you have read any of my posts you will remember that climbing is not one of my favorite things. About two miles into the climb I told one of the riders that had stayed back to show me the way to take off and I would catch him on his way back down the canyon. I managed to keep plugging away till we got to mile 7 when I noticed most of the riders coming back down.

I didnít know where the turn around point was so I turned around when I didnít see any more riders coming in my direction and turned around with the hope that they were going to stop back at the bottom of the canyon to regroup. About a mile and a half later I pulled up behind one of our stronger club riders as he was putting on a windbreaker. When he took off again I managed to hold on to his back wheel till we caught most of the other rides and we did stop at the bottom of the canyon.

Once we were all back together we proceeded to a coffee shop and discussed the days ride.

What was my impression? I was tired, my saddle felt hard and I didnít climb very well. However I recovered faster than I expected, I will get used to the saddle, and I will climb better next time. My average speed was the fastest it has been and that was for a ride 10 miles longer than I normally ride, 35 rather than 25.

I didnít get any pictures during the ride. It was all I could do to get oxygen.

You are my hero! I ride with the slowest group on my club rides and ride the heaviest bike in the group. But I'm stronger every week and I will get a road bike and ride with the big dogs if it kills me. Last week one them got dropped and joined our (12-15mph) group and kinda sneered when he looked at my Navigator. When I was still beside him at 40 miles he said
    "you ride that thing wherever you want to, don't you." Apparently, since I commute to work 4 days a week I'm riding more then some of the folks in the club but they push me further than I thought I could go. But I want to ride with the big dogs like you.
    Red, like the color my hair used to be.

Lemond Buenos Aires(Broke) Madone 5.9 for sale,Navigator 2, S-Works Roubaix

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ibear
    I just got a Jamis Ventura between two and three weeks ago. I joined the bike club I have been riding with about a month ago.
    http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=HPIM1500.jpg

Stepfam.
    So far I ride my MTB solo. Thanks for the tips I will keep them in mind.

Allegheny Jet.
    I am looking forward to the next ride.

DnvrFox.
    Of course I will keep you posted. I steal ideas from this group all the time to see if they will work for me.

RedC
    Thanks for the pat on the back. No one can be more surprised than I am at how much I am enjoying cycling. Every ride I take I learn something new about myself and about my bike. To be honest I thought it would be a lot longer before I tried to ride with the road crew. The things that have helped me the most is something I have taken from these forums. Fuel, Fluids and spin and base miles.

The next ride will be friday and I am looking forward to it.
    Last edited by Robert Foster; 09-11-08 at 07:48 PM.

My Bikes
    09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ride with the Big Dogs

Having the E version of COPD has always added a new twist to staying with the A group sence I got back into cycling some 9 years ago.
    This year the addition of a 17lb CF (Motobecane IF from Bikes Direct) some fantastic energy drink (Spizz) and a throwaway can of 99% pure oxygen have made a world of difference.
    I tend to hang back on the first half of the ride which seems to make it far easier to hang with thr front men/women on the last half.
    Hills are still a B* (I run out of oxygen )and I'm still working the heart (bypass last november) back into shape but 30 milers have become fun (again) and even 40-50 milers are looked forword to rather than dreaded.
    I've developed the "You'll never discover your potential riding with the B group" mindset.
    Some days I come in 3 minutes behind the pack..Some days I come in with the leaders..
    Regardless,I know I've given it my all..There's no nagging question.