Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's your top speed on a flat road?

From time to time I decide to determine my top speed on the bike. I try to have strict rules on getting that speed. The rules mean that I am on a flat surface with no decline at all, no wind and no drafting.

A couple of years ago when I started riding the top speed was 23 MPH. As I have been riding more the speed has come up a little at a time. This evening I finally broke 30 MPH. Actually, I set my MAX speed on the GPS as I knew it had been a couple months since my last self test and it was time for another. My best then was 29. Today the reading was 31.2 MPH. Breaking over the 30 MPH mark was so much fun.

Does anyone else occasionally test their speed? Do you have your own rules for your test run?
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do intervals twice a week on a standard flat route. Top speed for me is 34 something, but I can't hold it long. It's not so much that the lungs won't go longer. Rather, I can't keep my legs spinning that fast and pushing that hard very long. I suppose if I had a higher gear, but not really interested in changing the set up I have now.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    23 or 24, if the moon is right, else about 20
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes after doing interval workouts I'll do some sprints from a standstill. My home is on a cul-de-sac and it is a slight uphill then flat from our driveway entrance out towards the subdivision entrance. I will roll slowly to our mailbox then do a "jump sprint" racing thru gears until I pass a point about 600' (third mailbox) from the start. My computer will show the maximun speed for the rep. I usually do 4 to 5 of the sprints with about a 4 minute recovery. I average about 31 to 33 mph as a top speed. My best top end speed doing that excersize is 35.8 mph.

The "now retired" Old Guy Ed in GA's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave this question some serious thought, then decided this.

Since my top speed ever was going down a pretty steep hill with a 20mph tailwind and was under what you guys are posting for top speeds on flat ground.

I believe that I will abstain from answering this question.

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As fast as I need to go, but not as fast as I want to go.

Enjoy the ride.

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont do so much "top speed" as much as average speed on a ride. Of course whether I am pushing or just riding hard will affect that average speed. The top speed is a good indicator of one area of riding and the 'average speed' tells me something different.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My top speed on a flat road is 32 mph. I can go about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile. For anything longer, it's probably 20-22 mph. Don't ask what my average speed is for a 30 mile ride. Nowhere near 20-22 mph.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    From time to time I decide to determine my top speed on the bike. I try to have strict rules on getting that speed. Do you have your own rules for your test run?

When I first purchased the road bike I decided to see how fast I could go. I chose a flat section of a local trail. I was able to go 27 mph for about a half mile The bike is capable of higher speeds - the rider isn't
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My top speed on the flattest road around here is 32 mph. I was toast after the sprint. The flat sections around here are very short and barely long enough to work through the gears.

A-Jet ---- that 35.8 is impressive. Lp

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not going to crow- and it was on a Tandem- I was at peak fitness and the pilot was up for it. 45mph on the flat and we were still pulling on the pedals. It came to a sudden halt when the lungs gave out on the pair of us. Cadence of 150 finished us. and I have never got anywhere near that speed since.

And on a road bike- Boreas of course- I have a flattish route that I normally show a top speed of just under 30. May be down a slight slope but can't be far off my Max.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stapfam ------ you are da man !!!!!! Lp

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Let's hear from some of the TT'ers. Hermes, Velodiva, et al. We are talking the max speed attained over any distance at all (100 yards etc.) I have to believe that a fit rider on an aero bike can go really fast.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My top speed on a flat road has not been measured. Bear in mind, however, I'm riding a white bike so it's likely to be quite high.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    My top speed on a flat road has not been measured. Bear in mind, however, I'm riding a white bike so it's likely to be quite high.
    Next year, Cateye will be releasing the bicycle calendar for your use.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinz@50 View Post
    Stapfam ------ you are da man !!!!!! Lp
    Naw----You get a tandem wound up and nothing is going to stop it. But this was also when Me and Stuart were at our peak fitness for a big ride that we used to do every year. You have to be fit for that one

And I don't worry about speed- As long as I can climb those damn hills. For me that takes a different technique and it does cut the top speed.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinz@50 View Post
    My top speed on the flattest road around here is 32 mph. I was toast after the sprint. The flat sections around here are very short and barely long enough to work through the gears.

A-Jet ---- that 35.8 is impressive. Lp

I started to enter races this year and have followed a "self administered" training program beginning last fall. Even at our age imporvements in speed and fitness can be made with a training plan and effort. I will say doing those sprints, I mentioned, are not without a little "discomfort". The first several times I did the set it reminded me of the sprint intervals we did on our college track team. I know I gave it maximun effort when at the finish of the interval I don't know weather puke or mess my shorts, then after a couple minutes it all starts again. The rewards on group ride sprints against others' have been worth the suffering. BTW, my 24 yr old son will sometimes do them with me and he can hit 39+ mph on the same sprint.

robusto400
    My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not really track max speed over a certain run. I am more concerend with my average speed over the ride (which of course will vary depending upon terrain and distance). Most of my rides are about 25-30 miles over rolling hills and some flat areas. My goal is 15mph but not always there.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My top speed on a flat road was 39 mph, and I averaged over 30 mph for several miles. This was with a small tailwind. Usually I'm a little slower. Here's the story.

Wild and Windy Ride in North Texas
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before I got sick, I could consistently hit about 30mph on a flat road with no wind. My best last year was 33mph. Last week I was able to do 21mph.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Before I got sick, I could consistently hit about 30mph on a flat road with no wind. My best last year was 33mph. Last week I was able to do 21mph.
    Thats just the body adjusting to get you climbing hills better- And BD- Besides the Treatment- what drugs have they put you on?

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    26.2 MPH for me the other day.

There are some fast 50+/60+/70+/80+riders out there. The same day I was moving along at about 19 or 20 when an ancient geezer I didn't recognize passed me as if I were at walking speed spinning at a high rate and running rock steady.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Thats just the body adjusting to get you climbing hills better- And BD- Besides the Treatment- what drugs have they put you on?
    I'm not taking anything now. I have some pain pills to take as needed, but I haven't needed them lately. They didn't give me EPO if that's what you mean. My red count is a little low, but not enough to warrant meds.

I will be taking a weekly infusion of one chemo drug, Carboplatin, when my radiation treatments begin next Monday.

Sorry for the hijack, let's get back to the top speed discussion. I'll check mine again this weekend.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    34.7 is my best sustained (approx 1/2 mile) so far. still had another cog available, and i think my cadence is improving. time will tell....
    average speed on longer rides varies between 18.5 and 20....

be well,

jim
    Be in this moment.
    Do not seek the truth. Accept it.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few weeks back, I hit 37.5 in a final sprint to the end of the ride. On a closed-course car track, I've been timed by laser at 39 mph.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast