Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Today

Old 09-11-08, 06:52 AM
TCR Advanced SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Today

Least we forget the signifigance of today -------. Lp
Old 09-11-08, 07:03 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
YES!!
Eight years ago today I was riding to work. I got to work, cleaned up and changed, and walked into the lobby of the building and saw many of my coworkers gathered around a television. I asked what was going on.

Seems "everything" happened while was riding along thinking it was a wonderful day to be alive.

<edit> Sorry about the wrong year count. Thanks for pointing it out Bud Bent. That stuff happens when you get past a certain age. </edit>

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 09-11-08 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-11-08, 08:15 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, it was seven years ago.

I was driving from Texas to Mississippi on a service call, heard a reference to it on a sports talk radio show just minutes after it happened, changed to a news radio station, and listened to news the rest of the drive, stunned all the while.
Old 09-11-08, 08:31 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 819 Posts
I was riding to work on the first commuter train of the morning when my favorite conductor walked through the train, announcing that an airplane had crashed into the WTC. When I arrived at work, I set up the 5" black-and-white TV I had been storing in my office, propped the door open, and invited other folks in the building to pop in and watch the news from time to time during the day.

I never have a problem deciding which bike to ride on 9/11, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, etc. -- my red, white, and blue Schwinn, purchased 15 years ago from a San Diego firefighter, is the obvious choice.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-11-08, 09:07 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Even here it is a significant day. I was back at work after an illness and went home early to switch on the TV and see the towers fall. 7 years later and it is one of the dates I will never forget.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-11-08, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I went home after my company anounced that the campus was closed, being close to NYC and a major finanicial company, I though it was a good idea to get out of dodge.
I was outside trying to keep my mind off things, not succeeding, when I heard what had to be a military aircraft approaching, I saw a fully loaded F-16 fly overhead, my kids school is close by, the F-16 did a slow turn more or less over the school.
I don't want to see that again.
Old 09-11-08, 06:08 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
There are many days that are significant, not just 9/11.
Old 09-11-08, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
If the attack had come eight hours later, I would have been riding home along the Pentagon bike path, right at the impact point. Timing, they say, is everything...

Paul
Old 09-11-08, 08:10 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have had a few things happen to me that I believe I will never forget but that morning is one I am sure of. I got up early to go to work and it seemed like just another day. No one had threatened the US directly and we were not at war. So when the first plane hit I thought it had to be an accident. I got to work and turned on the TV in the break room only to hear that the plane was a hijacked plane and it was crashed into the WTC by suspected terrorists. I called my wife at home and told her to turn on the TV because I thought we were at war. She thought it was hyperbole until the second plane hit. We knew right at that point that the world would never be the same for us.
Old 09-11-08, 08:12 PM

Bikes: 04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just before the second plane hit the Trade Center, a group I was with was waiting at a gate at the airport in Jackson, MS, getting ready to board a plane for Washington DC. The flight had originated in Houston TX. In fact, if it had been on time, we would probably have been in the air, and would have had to land somewhere between DC and MS. We watched in horror the second plane hit the Tower live, on TV.

There was a lot of confusion at that time, but they made the passengers from Houston get off, and they were left to find their way home however they could. It was the most surreal day of my life.

Two engineers in our group agreed that the Towers must have been well built to have stood for as long as they did....

What a sad day...