User Tag List

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Cheap SPD Shoe

There have been quite a few posts about shoes and clipless pedals lately.

Here's your chance to get some decent cheap mountain bike shoes, SPD. $44 and there is usually a coupon for even better price. Thes shoes run a half size small so order larger than you normally would. http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...Sale%20Savings

Next, watch for Shimano 324 pedals in the $50 range. Niagara always has a pretty good price on the 324s http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...oducts_id=6345

You can make the move to clipless, while still retaining platforms, for around $100. Both are quality products.
    Last edited by Wanderer; 09-12-08 at 06:39 AM. Reason: more info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought shoes online, and got very lucky with one pair, they fit well. The others didn't fit all that good, just ok, I would not have bought them if I had tried them on first. There is lots of variation in shoe sizes between manufactures, I think it's better to try them on in person. Good price on the pedals.
    And why don't american companys use american sizes?

My Bikes
    derosa, bianchi, fuji, panasonic, jamis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a pair of these to replace my old worn out spd shoes. They are about the same price as the shimanos. They run true to size and look more like hiking shoes IMO. The shimanos remind of of bowling shoes

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...untain%20Shoes

My Bikes
    Madone 6.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest to you that going cheap in some areas of cycling is a good thing. Not in this case however. Going cheap with shoes, tires, and saddles, though near term looks appealing, in the long term, based on my experience, ended up costing me more. The shoes caused me some foot problems (spent $80 bucks) that were resolved with top notch footwear, Sidi's in my case. So, add the two togather and thereyago!
    Just based on my experience mind you........good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been riding for about a year and recently decided to go clipless. I have a hybrid fitness bike and I just bought some Specialized BG Sport MTB shoes http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=40333 and Shimano PD-M324 pedals http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont..._mountain.html. The pedals came with SH-56 cleats, which appear to be easier to unclip than the SH-51 cleats. I am wondering if these cleats may be too easy to unclip and if they will release accidently when pulling during the up stroke. Would it be better to make the jump to clipless with these multiple release mode cleats or should I start with single release mode cleats?
    Last edited by ksmoondoggie; 09-13-08 at 09:47 PM.

My Bikes
    Specialized, 07 Cannondale Synapse Sport 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought a pair Cannondale Roam shoes from LBS for $70.00. I liked them so much that
    I got a second pair from Nasbar with 10% off for $40.00. Well made shoe, so it will be
    awhile before I need second pair.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...untain%20Shoes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with biking shoes for me is fit. About 7 years ago I latched on to the Specialized brand for fit, comfort and value. I'm on my third pair (the second is a good back-up), but I still have to try them on as even year to year they change shape enough to make at least a metric half-size difference.

My last pair listed for $130 which is about $50.00 more than previously. Well worth the big $'s. This is for their mountain bike shoes which I use for road also.

Al

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmoondoggie View Post
    The pedals came with SH-56 cleats, which appear to be easier to unclip than the SH-51 cleats. I am wondering if these cleats may be too easy to unclip and if they will release accidently when pulling during the up stroke. Would it be better to make the jump to clipless with these multiple release mode cleats or should I start with single release mode cleats?
    I've been using the 56 and earlier 55 ever since I went clipless some 7 or 8 years ago. I've seen no reason to change. I can do a bunny hop and they won't release. I've never had them release due to pedaling. The lift part of the stroke won't do it as you don't really apply much power there, it's more for getting your leg weight off the pedal.

I have had them release when applying body English (mountain biking) due to inadvertently twisting my foot. The 51's would likely release then too.

If you race, particularly sprinting, maybe the 51's are better. Don't know. For recreational riding, I see no reason to use the 51's. The 56's it seems will only release if you pull up reasonably hard with the toes pointed down (in addition to the more normal twisting action required for the 51). They hold better than the old 55's which were not good enough for a bunny hop.

I wish more pedals came with the 56. None did in the past. I've manged to trade 51's for 56's at the lbs at a 2:1 ratio.

Al

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been riding for about a year and recently decided to go clipless. I have a hybrid fitness bike and I just bought some Specialized BG Sport MTB shoes http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=40333 and Shimano PD-M324 pedals http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont..._mountain.html. The pedals came with SH-56 cleats, which appear to be easier to unclip than the SH-51 cleats. I am wondering if these cleats may be too easy to unclip and if they will release accidently when pulling during the up stroke. Would it be better to make the jump to clipless with these multiple release mode cleats or should I start with single release mode cleats?
    I switched to clipless just a couple of months ago with Shimano M520 pedals and the SH-56 quick-release cleats (I never used the 51s that came with the pedals). In spite of the tension set to low, I have not had any problem with them accidently releasing on the up-stroke (hills or flats) or any other time. They release only when I deliberately attempt to unclip, and at no other time. I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but I am really enjoying these pedals and cleats and clipless in general.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nashbar got Adidas! I'm in heaven!!
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the cleat advice Al and Yen. I appreciate you both sharing your experiences with me! I attached the 56's and installed the new pedals tonight. Hope to practice unclipping tomorrow and take a ride.

As for the shoes, I also choose Specialized for many of the same reasons. I have a narrow foot and the BG Sport MTB shoes fit me well. Interestingly, the ones that fit the best were a previous year version my LBS had so I saved some $$. I also liked the BG Taho http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...=40338&eid=342 but they are wider and did not fit me as well. I liked the idea of being able to unclip and walk around easily but I ultimately went for the stiffer sole/more efficient Sport model. I guess I can always throw on a pair of athletic shoes and use the platform side of the 324's for rides that include significant walking.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the cleat advice Al and Yen. I appreciate you both sharing your experiences with me! I attached the 56's and installed the new pedals tonight. Hope to practice unclipping tomorrow and take a ride.
    Be sure to set the tension low and practice a lot. Get used to the idea of "slowing, unclip, stop" so that as you begin to slow or anticipate slowing, you automatically unclip. I was out riding my hybrid tonight and I found myself automatically twisting the heal of my left foot as if to unclip..... from the platforms. So I guess it does become automatic, with practice.

As for the shoes, I also choose Specialized for many of the same reasons. I have a narrow foot and the BG Sport MTB shoes fit me well. Interestingly, the ones that fit the best were a previous year version my LBS had so I saved some $$. I also liked the BG Taho http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...=40338&eid=342 but they are wider and did not fit me as well. I liked the idea of being able to unclip and walk around easily but I ultimately went for the stiffer sole/more efficient Sport model. I guess I can always throw on a pair of athletic shoes and use the platform side of the 324's for rides that include significant walking.
    I have the Taho and they set my right foot on fire after about 10-15 miles. I've never had a wide foot, but my feet are very accustomed to wearing very comfortable running shoes with mesh uppers on a daily basis and apparently they didn't like being in a shoe with rigid uppers. They are popular shoes though, and I've decided to keep them for shorter rides, as my feet seem fine in them for that duration.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Be sure to set the tension low and practice a lot. Get used to the idea of "slowing, unclip, stop" so that as you begin to slow or anticipate slowing, you automatically unclip.
    I didn't have the right allen wrench (3mm) to adjust the tension so after a trip to a hardware store I got a late start tonight. Set the tension to low and practiced clipping in and unclipping while riding in my neighborhood. Definitely awkward at first and I'm far from automatic but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.