Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Old Are The Folks You Ride With

I'm 65 heading toword 66.
    On a recent ride I happened to tally up the age of the riders I was cycling with.
    "I'd like to interject that we were doing 22+mph into the first third of a 33 mile ride around Grand Island NY"
    Leading was Tom J..67.followed by, Bill G 66, followed by Bill S. 69, followed by Don S. 68, followed by me, followed by BarbC (we've never asked her age..she did just retire however),followed by me, followed by Jack M who turns 75 this year, followed by the speedster of the group (24mph is his average speed)Richard P who's 67.
    I regularly ride with Richard U who turned 80 last month and Bruno P who'll turn 79 this month(september) and both these guys can still maintain 16mph (it's not unusual to see Richard out some 50+ miles from his home on his long wheelbase recumbent..merrily cycling along....solo)
    Others include Harold R who's early 60s, Ed J. late 50s, Tom B later 60s (I've seen this guy get on a mountain bike with road tires and effortlessly clip along at 18/19mph with the club) Peter G a retired Aussie airling piolet who finally bought a road bke after a full summer of keeping pace with the A group on a fat tired mountain bike.

Got me to wondering if I simply found a group of fast seniors or if this is sort of the norm out there.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride with all age groups (pretty much), but in the group of double-century riders we have several over 60 (Dave Evans, Ron Hanson, Vertical Bob, Dan Crain, John Claire, etc.) and one over 70 (Clem Bartoli). You can see a lot of the old double-century riders on the ADO (All Day Ordeal) Club site here:

www.adogang.org

Lots of 60+ in my regular road club (OCRR) too. The road club has more mixed ages, with the median around (I'm guessing here) 40 - 45. Link is the oldest at 83, but still very fast.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in a 55+ community, so, obviously, we all qualify for this forum. Our bike club has 120 members of all abilities. There must be 7 or 8 subgroups, all of which ride MWF. (As an aside, it is pretty neat on the days we all meet at the same time. There must be 75 riders. At the appointed time, we split up and go our several different ways.) In my specific group, the youngest is 57, the oldest 77. Most are in the 60-65 range. We ride 40 - 60 miles three times a week.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally ride with three guys who are 68 and who are matched perfectly with me. Their names are ME, MYSELF and I.

Someimes I ride with some folks on a ride I organize - a lady 71, my wife 70, sme other folks 70-72. But we are slow and casual riders.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thge ones I ride with are not OLD enough as they still beat me up the hills.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

The "now retired" Old Guy Ed in GA's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride with my wife (18 years my junior), Her ex-boyfriend (15 years my junior) and his wife (25 years my junior). We all ride at my pace, for the time being, as I am the noob in the group.
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My group consists of three that are 51; me,myself and I. Sometimes I get company but the vast majority of the time its just us. Lp

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am new to group riding but the group I ride with ranges of mid 20 to 83. There are about 15 of us but mostly 8 to ten show up three times a week.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran a poll of the 50+ group on multiple occasions and found that over 80% of this forum rides alone the majority of the time.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a shame that most of our group rides end up with a 50+ average age. I do understand the time pressures of kids, jobs, mowing the lawn, etc for the younger set.

My Bikes
    Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not necessarily out of preference, but more do to the remoteness of where we live, I most often ride alone. However, of the folks I ride most regularly with the oldest is 50, one guy is mid 40's, and several are mid to late 30's. I am 55. I've never ridden with anyone older than myself; thats just the way its worked out.
    And you know that notion just crossed my mind.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a group of riders in the St Louis area who are roughly my age. I very much enjoy riding with them. Unfortunately, they're mostly retired and generally ride while I'm at work.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse, Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    www.adogang.org

Rick / OCRR
    Nice web site. Fantastic tribute to Edna Evans.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our club has 500 members, so all ages are represented. The group I chase around is from 33 to 60, with two of the faster riders being 60. I have also ridden with Clem, mentioned above by Rick@ocrr, who has done over 50 double centuries and still going, and his gorgeous, amazing daughter who can drop a lot of the guys in the mountains. Here are a few friends including BF members Thomson, pailrider, and Cassave.

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride mostly alone. but when with others, I'm usually the oldest at 68. I ride with my daughter and her boy friend, and their friends, all children under 30. My most frequent riding buddy is 51, he is patient about not running off and leaving me. We are planning on 56 miles on a rail trail tomorrow. I occasionally get a 72 year old friend out for a short ride, not over 16 miles, at an agonizingly slow pace. We oldsters do not get in shape as fast as you 50 year old youths!

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't ride with any group. Yesterday, however, I got caught up in the Thursday pelethon. They head out of Reston on a fast paced ride. They diverged from my MUP route only to overtake me a mile from home on the road. At least 30 passed me before I picked up my pace to tag along. I was going 26 mph by the time I pulled behind the grizzled gray beard at the rear. He had time to inform me they average 25 mph before I pulled off for the last 200 yard stretch home. Somehow I think I'd have to find a bit slower group.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our club membership is small yet diverse. We ride with 20-somethings and 60-somethings and all abilities.

Since we've been leading and participating in BF rides we tend to ride more by ability than by age. Although Big Bossman's "Steel is Real..." ride had a wide range of ages.

I ride with whomever I can keep up, and whomever can keep up with me, on any given day. It's all different and it's all good.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    which one?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride with my husband (54) and two 10-year-olds. I mostly let my son set the pace, although I'd like him to speed up sometimes.
    WE DID IT! Our little family of four cycled 17,300 miles from Alaska to Argentina! The trip of a lifetime for sure. www.familyonbikes.org

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In group rides, I do not pay any attention to age. I take my riders as I find them. In matters of inflicting suffering on others, I am totally impartial.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today's ride was pretty typical. Six of us, ages 13, 27, 28, 50, 52 (me) and 60.
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 09-13-08 at 09:27 PM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tend to be some of the more senior folks on a ride. Rudy 75, Kay 73.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last time I rode with anyone was June of last year. That was with 4 people who were 55-60.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the question. I'm so old and slow that I ride with no one. 22 mph????????????? sorry, I'll just poke along and see what's in the bar ditch.
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

My Bikes
    lotus classique ,haro mirra pro,gary fisher mtb 1980's, trek T1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6 my grandaughter other than her I ride alone

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early 20's. I ride mostly alone, but several times a year I ride with my daughter or the other young woman that I did the Trans America with last year. I can't imagine better riding companions.

On rare occasions I ride with guys from work, I guess they are mostly in their mid to late 30's.