Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 09-12-08, 06:04 AM   #1
Ranger63

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
How Old Are The Folks You Ride With

I'm 65 heading toword 66.
On a recent ride I happened to tally up the age of the riders I was cycling with.
"I'd like to interject that we were doing 22+mph into the first third of a 33 mile ride around Grand Island NY"
Leading was Tom J..67.followed by, Bill G 66, followed by Bill S. 69, followed by Don S. 68, followed by me, followed by BarbC (we've never asked her age..she did just retire however),followed by me, followed by Jack M who turns 75 this year, followed by the speedster of the group (24mph is his average speed)Richard P who's 67.
I regularly ride with Richard U who turned 80 last month and Bruno P who'll turn 79 this month(september) and both these guys can still maintain 16mph (it's not unusual to see Richard out some 50+ miles from his home on his long wheelbase recumbent..merrily cycling along....solo)
Others include Harold R who's early 60s, Ed J. late 50s, Tom B later 60s (I've seen this guy get on a mountain bike with road tires and effortlessly clip along at 18/19mph with the club) Peter G a retired Aussie airling piolet who finally bought a road bke after a full summer of keeping pace with the A group on a fat tired mountain bike.

Got me to wondering if I simply found a group of fast seniors or if this is sort of the norm out there.
Ranger63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 10:17 AM   #2
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I ride with all age groups (pretty much), but in the group of double-century riders we have several over 60 (Dave Evans, Ron Hanson, Vertical Bob, Dan Crain, John Claire, etc.) and one over 70 (Clem Bartoli). You can see a lot of the old double-century riders on the ADO (All Day Ordeal) Club site here:

www.adogang.org

Lots of 60+ in my regular road club (OCRR) too. The road club has more mixed ages, with the median around (I'm guessing here) 40 - 45. Link is the oldest at 83, but still very fast.

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 10:29 AM   #3
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in a 55+ community, so, obviously, we all qualify for this forum. Our bike club has 120 members of all abilities. There must be 7 or 8 subgroups, all of which ride MWF. (As an aside, it is pretty neat on the days we all meet at the same time. There must be 75 riders. At the appointed time, we split up and go our several different ways.) In my specific group, the youngest is 57, the oldest 77. Most are in the 60-65 range. We ride 40 - 60 miles three times a week.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Mojo Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 10:37 AM   #4
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
I generally ride with three guys who are 68 and who are matched perfectly with me. Their names are ME, MYSELF and I.

Someimes I ride with some folks on a ride I organize - a lady 71, my wife 70, sme other folks 70-72. But we are slow and casual riders.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 11:26 AM   #5
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thge ones I ride with are not OLD enough as they still beat me up the hills.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 11:38 AM   #6
Ed in GA
The "now retired" Old Guy

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5
I ride with my wife (18 years my junior), Her ex-boyfriend (15 years my junior) and his wife (25 years my junior). We all ride at my pace, for the time being, as I am the noob in the group.
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
Ed in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 11:38 AM   #7
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Bikes:
My group consists of three that are 51; me,myself and I. Sometimes I get company but the vast majority of the time its just us. Lp
Spinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 01:48 PM   #8
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
I am new to group riding but the group I ride with ranges of mid 20 to 83. There are about 15 of us but mostly 8 to ten show up three times a week.
Robert Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 01:54 PM   #9
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
I ran a poll of the 50+ group on multiple occasions and found that over 80% of this forum rides alone the majority of the time.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 02:18 PM   #10
oilman_15106

Bikes:
It is a shame that most of our group rides end up with a 50+ average age. I do understand the time pressures of kids, jobs, mowing the lawn, etc for the younger set.
oilman_15106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 02:48 PM   #11
SKYLAB
Gilpin County Wheelman

Bikes: Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti
Not necessarily out of preference, but more do to the remoteness of where we live, I most often ride alone. However, of the folks I ride most regularly with the oldest is 50, one guy is mid 40's, and several are mid to late 30's. I am 55. I've never ridden with anyone older than myself; thats just the way its worked out.
SKYLAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 04:00 PM   #12
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
There's a group of riders in the St Louis area who are roughly my age. I very much enjoy riding with them. Unfortunately, they're mostly retired and generally ride while I'm at work.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 04:47 PM   #13
snaproll

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Surly Cross Check
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
www.adogang.org

Rick / OCRR
Nice web site. Fantastic tribute to Edna Evans.
snaproll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 06:12 PM   #14
big john

Bikes:
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Our club has 500 members, so all ages are represented. The group I chase around is from 33 to 60, with two of the faster riders being 60. I have also ridden with Clem, mentioned above by Rick@ocrr, who has done over 50 double centuries and still going, and his gorgeous, amazing daughter who can drop a lot of the guys in the mountains. Here are a few friends including BF members Thomson, pailrider, and Cassave.
big john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 08:54 PM   #15
waldowales
Old Fogy

Bikes:
I ride mostly alone. but when with others, I'm usually the oldest at 68. I ride with my daughter and her boy friend, and their friends, all children under 30. My most frequent riding buddy is 51, he is patient about not running off and leaving me. We are planning on 56 miles on a rail trail tomorrow. I occasionally get a 72 year old friend out for a short ride, not over 16 miles, at an agonizingly slow pace. We oldsters do not get in shape as fast as you 50 year old youths!
waldowales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 09:02 PM   #16
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite
I don't ride with any group. Yesterday, however, I got caught up in the Thursday pelethon. They head out of Reston on a fast paced ride. They diverged from my MUP route only to overtake me a mile from home on the road. At least 30 passed me before I picked up my pace to tag along. I was going 26 mph by the time I pulled behind the grizzled gray beard at the rear. He had time to inform me they average 25 mph before I pulled off for the last 200 yard stretch home. Somehow I think I'd have to find a bit slower group.
Old 09-12-08, 10:14 PM   #17
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
Our club membership is small yet diverse. We ride with 20-somethings and 60-somethings and all abilities.

Since we've been leading and participating in BF rides we tend to ride more by ability than by age. Although Big Bossman's "Steel is Real..." ride had a wide range of ages.

I ride with whomever I can keep up, and whomever can keep up with me, on any given day. It's all different and it's all good.
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 10:26 PM   #18
nancy sv
family on bikes

Bikes: which one?
I ride with my husband (54) and two 10-year-olds. I mostly let my son set the pace, although I'd like him to speed up sometimes.
nancy sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 08:50 AM   #19
Hermes 
Elite Rider

Bikes: Too Many
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
In group rides, I do not pay any attention to age. I take my riders as I find them. In matters of inflicting suffering on others, I am totally impartial.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 10:08 AM   #20
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Today's ride was pretty typical. Six of us, ages 13, 27, 28, 50, 52 (me) and 60.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 09-13-08 at 09:27 PM.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 09:06 PM   #21
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
We tend to be some of the more senior folks on a ride. Rudy 75, Kay 73.
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 09:26 PM   #22
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
The last time I rode with anyone was June of last year. That was with 4 people who were 55-60.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 10:02 PM   #23
card
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
Thanks for the question. I'm so old and slow that I ride with no one. 22 mph????????????? sorry, I'll just poke along and see what's in the bar ditch.
card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 09:52 AM   #24
VROD

Bikes: lotus classique ,haro mirra pro,gary fisher mtb 1980's, trek T1
6 my grandaughter other than her I ride alone
VROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 11:42 AM   #25
staehpj1 

Bikes:
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Early 20's. I ride mostly alone, but several times a year I ride with my daughter or the other young woman that I did the Trans America with last year. I can't imagine better riding companions.

On rare occasions I ride with guys from work, I guess they are mostly in their mid to late 30's.
staehpj1 is offline   Reply With Quote