Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 09-13-08, 08:54 AM   #1
dguest

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Logging my rides

Does anyone know of a good website to use for logging our rides? What do you all use if you log them?
dguest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 09:30 AM   #2
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
I use an application on Facebook called "bicycle." If you're a FaceBook member, just search for applications about cycling or bicycles, and you'll find it.

This is a link but it might require you to log in to a FaceBook account to get there:
http://apps.new.facebook.com/mycycle/

But I think a more popular one is bikejournal.com.
http://www.bikejournal.com/
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 12:46 PM   #3
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
+1 for BikeJournal.com
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 04:11 PM   #4
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
I use a GPS to record my ride data and download it to sports tracks.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 05:08 PM   #5
revelstone

Bikes: centurions (lemans and sports dlx both 1981)
log book

i write my miles down on 3 X 5 notebook. i get the miles from the odometer on my bike. keep track of the date the same way
revelstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 05:24 PM   #6
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
How about just making your own Microsoft Word document for bike rides per year? That way you can write a narrative of the ride.
Garfield Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 05:41 PM   #7
colorado dale
cycling for 50 plus yrs

Bikes: IF Crown Jewell
Here is the 2008 Mileage Log (Excel format) for your use.

For the last half dozen years I have been using Mileage Logs created by a guy named Mark Pankin, a member of the Potomac Pedalers Touring Club (Washington, DC). It is free to download from his site.

Here is the link to the Mileage Log Instructions, copywrite, plus download link:

http://www.pankin.com/miles.htm

Or download the Excel file directly without instructions:

http://www.pankin.com/mileage.xls
colorado dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 07:48 PM   #8
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Another vote for BikeJournal.com. Nice site, good, friendly forum, great people.

I met Blazing Pedals (above) last year at the annual Reunion weekend. Met w2brdbkr at this year's Reunion.

The ride log is configurable for the data you want to collect. Free members can choose six fields, there are a couple of dozen for paid members. (Just$20/year.) For the first 30 days, new members can use all the fields.

My BikeJournal Ride Log (Remember, you can set yours up how you like.)
My BikeJournal Profile
My BikeJournal Blog
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 09:32 PM   #9
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
I keep a bunch of charts, mostly because I like charts. Just standard Word document charts. Plus a 50+er sent me a nice, simple Excel sheet to use, too ( I will let him go unnamed, if he wants to offer his work to all, I'll let him). I keep a chart on
1. Length of ride, total time in the saddle with weekly total
2. The above mentioned Excel sheet including miles, ave mph and destination. Excel give me average length of ride, miles per month.
3. Total miles ridden on Monday, Tuesdays, etc.
4. Cummulative miles per year.
5. Miles per week
6. Miles per week, cummulative for 5 years
7 length of rides

I keep track of my bike-related expenses ($73 a month ave), service on bike, repairs, new tires, etc. Very helpful.

I also keep a running narrative of major rides, including all flats with mileage and whether it was the front or rear tire. The narrative often has pictures included.

For 2088, my journal is 33 pages long.

NO! I am NOT compulsive!
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Mojo Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 10:11 PM   #10
card
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dguest View Post
Does anyone know of a good website to use for logging our rides? What do you all use if you log them?
Why do you want to log them??
card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 10:43 PM   #11
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line
I keep a spiral-bound notebook in my van. In it I write the date and the day of the week, where I parked my van, and a brief comment about the weather. After the ride is finished, I write a brief summary of the ride and the total miles ridden. If I have a flat, I mention it in my summary.

On the bike I have spiral-bound notepad where I log my odometer readings for each ride.

I have an Excel spreadsheet in Google Docs where I keep track of Bike Miles, Treadmill Miles, Elliptical Miles, and Strength-Training sessions. And another Excel spreadsheet on the home desktop where I track the same things (and another copy, infrequently updated, on the laptop). And I blog weekly.
Condorita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 11:18 PM   #12
jiminos

Bikes:
reading this thread got me to thinking about logging (or not logging in my case.) since i started back riding and running a little over a year and a half ago, i've not logged anything.... almost. for a very short period, i logged my running stats.

so... i wondered why i don't log.... not sure why... hmmm.... mostly i guess it's because i tend to be in the moment and logs seem to be "not" in the moment. for years, as a master fitness trainer, i logged everything, every day and analyzed the crap out of it. maybe that's why I don't anymore.

oh, well... sorry for jumping in on your thread. hope you find a good method for logging your rides.

be well,

jim
jiminos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 01:05 AM   #13
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I ride over logs laying across the trail on my MTB.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 09:55 AM   #14
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
Actually, for me, there is a good reason to log the rides, keep charts and write a narration: there is a certain amount of incentive and motivation, especially with the charts. I love watching charts grow and mutate. If I have had three weeks wherein I rode 150-160 miles, I try to make it four. I never ride 29, 39 or 49 miles, because 30 40 or 50 miles will look better on the chart. It used to be when people asked me how often I rode I would say "4 or 5 times a week". When I checked, it was only 3.2. So, record keeping keeps me honest. Service records have been very handy. I had a mechanic I need a new chain. I knew mine had 327 miles on it.

I will admit, I have a few more charts and notations than I need. But it's all part of the fun of cycling, for me.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Mojo Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 11:14 AM   #15
alcanoe

Bikes:
As mentioned, keeping a record of rides or just physical activity in general is motivational. It also provides a measure of fitness status and how well your doing countering the affects of age-related decay. For the fitness/decay aspects, it's useful to be able to compare data (exercise periodicity/average speeds/ride times/times in heart rate zones) over a long period of time.

I have years of data in Cyclistats. You have to buy the program. It gives you a lot of ride data comparison tools and it can load the data from my new Garmin Forerunner 305 heart rate monitor software.

It has provisions for annotating rides and logging bike maintenance/repairs.

Al

Last edited by alcanoe; 09-14-08 at 11:20 AM.
alcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 01:49 PM   #16
Billy Bones

Bikes:
Since I cycle, run, walk, hike, stretch, and "gym", I use "time in heart rate zones" as the common metric among them all. (I don't care much about miles.) Recording this stuff encourages a discipline and lets me see the relative proportions of workouts so that I get enough zones 4 and 5 (for that time trial looming spring '09) and still get the "active recovery" of zones 2 and 3. Yes, there is a mild "apples and oranges" relationship between HRs derived from cycling and running. My reasoning is that there's a lot more similar than otherwise and I'm pursuing overall fitness whilst reducing boredom/burnout.

Every day, I dump (transcribe) the data* into an XLS file along with daily weight, blood pressures, and resting heart rate.

Of course, all this implies having a mid-level or higher HR monitor.

If anyone's interested, drop me a note in a personal message with your e-mail address and I'll fire you a copy of the XLS. If you're a miles recording kind of bloke, you can add that.

* - Here're the data I track:

Total workout time,
Time in each of HR zones 1 to 5,
Percent of workout time in HR zones 1 to 5,
Average HR for entire workout,
Workload Index (a calculation that allows a rough day-today comparison of effort expended regardless of workout type), and
Three-minute recovery HR (for those Zone 4 or 5 days).
Billy Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 03:15 PM   #17
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Different strokes. Data collection may be motivational for some, but I think I'd quit riding if it meant I had to do all that recording and analysis.
Old 09-14-08, 06:46 PM   #18
alcanoe

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
Different strokes. Data collection may be motivational for some, but I think I'd quit riding if it meant I had to do all that recording and analysis.
If you've never done it, you may not realize how simple/quick it is. I plug my Forerunner 305 into the pc and don't even bother to turn the HRM on. The data is downloaded to the Garmin software automatically which is self-initiating when I plug in the 305.

I click to the graphics and charts to see how I performed on that ride. About 5 minutes? The some time later I'll load the data from the Garmin software into Cyclistats. The so-called "analysis" consists of clicking on chart and graph options which I use for comparisons (by day, by month, by trail, by year etc.). I only do this "analysis" (which consists of glancing at the charts and graphics) once in a while, maybe every couple of months.

I do like to annotate, so that might take another 5 minutes. There is a slight learning curve to use the HRM and the software.

I manually enter my saddle time or ridding time and distance data from my cyclometer into cyclistats as the Forerunner GPS distance does not include the up/down distance: only the horizontal projection of the ride.

You do get a graphic of the vertical climbing/descending distance and a total distance climbed. But, the accuracy of GPS in elevation is not great especially under a thick tree cover even with the new receiver chip. Then riding in the mountains, which I do about half the time further degrades GPS accuracy due to satellite drop-outs.

Al
alcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 09:41 PM   #19
Mark Turner
Old Cyclist

Bikes: Novara Randonee
Quote:
... I think I'd quit riding if it meant I had to do all that recording and analysis.
I rode for years without logging anything. Currently I'm keeping a very simple spreadsheet with date, miles, wheels-turning time, and average MPH, with a column for route info in sorta shorthand form. I set a personal goal to ride 2K miles this year, so having a log tells me whether I'm going to make it. I'm also aiming to increase average speed, and the log tells me that, too. No special software, just a basic spreadsheet meets my needs, and it only takes a few seconds to enter the data.
Mark Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 09:43 PM   #20
jiminos

Bikes:
i appreciate how easy technology has made the tasks of collecting, collating and analyzing data. however, after years of analyzing the crap out of every push up, sit up, side straddle hop, every mile of running, every mile of swimming, and every mile of riding for myself, as well as for each of my troops, it just isn't in me anymore to collect and analyze anything. but i appreciate that others do, and that it helps them to do better. there is no denying there can be a benefit to the collection and analysis.

but, for me, i'm not so sure that i'm trying to do "better" each time i head out the door as much as i am just "doing" each time i head out the door. time spent running or in the saddle or in the pool is a time of solace and escape for me. i prefer not to clutter it with concerns about "is this performance better than the last time?" and similar questions.

but, again (just to be sure it is clear)... i think it is great that people do derive a benefit from the data. (and the site that tsl recommended looks impressive.)

be well,

jim
jiminos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 06:36 AM   #21
speedlever
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
I use an Edge 305 and download to Garmin Training Center, Motion Based (free) and SportTracks. Of the 3, SportTracks is my favorite. I also keep a daily log in Word where I record mileage and any maintenance events.

The performance software is fun for me (I love gadgets) and I enjoy seeing how my pace varies day-to-day, how my cadence is running, HR zones, etc. I can see when I've had good days and when I've had bad days.

Speaking of which... it's time to go out and ride for a while...
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 08:07 AM   #22
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Originally Posted by BluesDawg Different strokes. Data collection may be motivational for some, but I think I'd quit riding if it meant I had to do all that recording and analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanoe View Post
If you've never done it, you may not realize how simple/quick it is.
We're not communicating very well here. I'm very aware of how easy it is to collect and chart data. I do it plenty at work. But I have no desire to do that kind of analysis of my riding. I can tell if I'm getting faster or stronger or lighter or skinnier without all that.

Like I said, different stokes. If it enhances your enjoyment of riding, go for it. For me, it would ruin it.

I'll admit I am a bit more analytical when it comes to building and modifying my bikes, especially with gearing options.
Old 09-15-08, 09:24 AM   #23
shmulb

Bikes: Jamis Satellite; Ellsworth Scant
I use this one by Dan Spiers, this is very comprehensive and well worth the $5 for the premium version
http://web.mac.com/danspeirs/prolog/home.html
shmulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 10:16 AM   #24
card
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg Different strokes. Data collection may be motivational for some, but I think I'd quit riding if it meant I had to do all that recording and analysis.

We're not communicating very well here. I'm very aware of how easy it is to collect and chart data. I do it plenty at work. But I have no desire to do that kind of analysis of my riding. I can tell if I'm getting faster or stronger or lighter or skinnier without all that.

Like I said, different stokes. If it enhances your enjoyment of riding, go for it. For me, it would ruin it.

I'll admit I am a bit more analytical when it comes to building and modifying my bikes, especially with gearing options.
BluesDawg, I'm with you 100% on this one. Collecting data just spoils the ride for me. I've got the Garmin, gave away a HRM, got 6 or 8 bike computers, lost my log. Like you, I can tell if I'm getting stronger, weaker, lighter or fatter without a log. One thing for sure, I'm getting older and I sure as hell ain't gonna log that.
card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 11:15 AM   #25
cranky old dude

Bikes:
I log all of my rides, I track my mileage diligently....but alas it does not work.
I still don't ride enough.
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote