User Tag List

My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Logging my rides

Does anyone know of a good website to use for logging our rides? What do you all use if you log them?

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an application on Facebook called "bicycle." If you're a FaceBook member, just search for applications about cycling or bicycles, and you'll find it.

This is a link but it might require you to log in to a FaceBook account to get there:
    http://apps.new.facebook.com/mycycle/

But I think a more popular one is bikejournal.com.
    http://www.bikejournal.com/

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for BikeJournal.com

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a GPS to record my ride data and download it to sports tracks.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    centurions (lemans and sports dlx both 1981)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

log book

i write my miles down on 3 X 5 notebook. i get the miles from the odometer on my bike. keep track of the date the same way
    http://revelstone56.tripod.com/index.html
    Hey technically I'm not crazy. The doctors even said so. I just do what the voices tell me and we all get along fine.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about just making your own Microsoft Word document for bike rides per year? That way you can write a narrative of the ride.

cycling for 50 plus yrs colorado dale's Avatar
    My Bikes
    IF Crown Jewell
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the 2008 Mileage Log (Excel format) for your use.

For the last half dozen years I have been using Mileage Logs created by a guy named Mark Pankin, a member of the Potomac Pedalers Touring Club (Washington, DC). It is free to download from his site.

Here is the link to the Mileage Log Instructions, copywrite, plus download link:

http://www.pankin.com/miles.htm

Or download the Excel file directly without instructions:

http://www.pankin.com/mileage.xls

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for BikeJournal.com. Nice site, good, friendly forum, great people.

I met Blazing Pedals (above) last year at the annual Reunion weekend. Met w2brdbkr at this year's Reunion.

The ride log is configurable for the data you want to collect. Free members can choose six fields, there are a couple of dozen for paid members. (Just$20/year.) For the first 30 days, new members can use all the fields.

My BikeJournal Ride Log (Remember, you can set yours up how you like.)
    My BikeJournal Profile
    My BikeJournal Blog
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep a bunch of charts, mostly because I like charts. Just standard Word document charts. Plus a 50+er sent me a nice, simple Excel sheet to use, too ( I will let him go unnamed, if he wants to offer his work to all, I'll let him). I keep a chart on
    1. Length of ride, total time in the saddle with weekly total
    2. The above mentioned Excel sheet including miles, ave mph and destination. Excel give me average length of ride, miles per month.
    3. Total miles ridden on Monday, Tuesdays, etc.
    4. Cummulative miles per year.
    5. Miles per week
    6. Miles per week, cummulative for 5 years
    7 length of rides

I keep track of my bike-related expenses ($73 a month ave), service on bike, repairs, new tires, etc. Very helpful.

I also keep a running narrative of major rides, including all flats with mileage and whether it was the front or rear tire. The narrative often has pictures included.

For 2088, my journal is 33 pages long.

NO! I am NOT compulsive!
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dguest View Post
    Does anyone know of a good website to use for logging our rides? What do you all use if you log them?
    Why do you want to log them??
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I keep a spiral-bound notebook in my van. In it I write the date and the day of the week, where I parked my van, and a brief comment about the weather. After the ride is finished, I write a brief summary of the ride and the total miles ridden. If I have a flat, I mention it in my summary.

On the bike I have spiral-bound notepad where I log my odometer readings for each ride.

I have an Excel spreadsheet in Google Docs where I keep track of Bike Miles, Treadmill Miles, Elliptical Miles, and Strength-Training sessions. And another Excel spreadsheet on the home desktop where I track the same things (and another copy, infrequently updated, on the laptop). And I blog weekly.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    reading this thread got me to thinking about logging (or not logging in my case.) since i started back riding and running a little over a year and a half ago, i've not logged anything.... almost. for a very short period, i logged my running stats.

so... i wondered why i don't log.... not sure why... hmmm.... mostly i guess it's because i tend to be in the moment and logs seem to be "not" in the moment. for years, as a master fitness trainer, i logged everything, every day and analyzed the crap out of it. maybe that's why I don't anymore.

oh, well... sorry for jumping in on your thread. hope you find a good method for logging your rides.

be well,

jim
    Be in this moment.
    Do not seek the truth. Accept it.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride over logs laying across the trail on my MTB.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, for me, there is a good reason to log the rides, keep charts and write a narration: there is a certain amount of incentive and motivation, especially with the charts. I love watching charts grow and mutate. If I have had three weeks wherein I rode 150-160 miles, I try to make it four. I never ride 29, 39 or 49 miles, because 30 40 or 50 miles will look better on the chart. It used to be when people asked me how often I rode I would say "4 or 5 times a week". When I checked, it was only 3.2. So, record keeping keeps me honest. Service records have been very handy. I had a mechanic I need a new chain. I knew mine had 327 miles on it.

I will admit, I have a few more charts and notations than I need. But it's all part of the fun of cycling, for me.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned, keeping a record of rides or just physical activity in general is motivational. It also provides a measure of fitness status and how well your doing countering the affects of age-related decay. For the fitness/decay aspects, it's useful to be able to compare data (exercise periodicity/average speeds/ride times/times in heart rate zones) over a long period of time.

I have years of data in Cyclistats. You have to buy the program. It gives you a lot of ride data comparison tools and it can load the data from my new Garmin Forerunner 305 heart rate monitor software.

It has provisions for annotating rides and logging bike maintenance/repairs.

Al
    Last edited by alcanoe; 09-14-08 at 11:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I cycle, run, walk, hike, stretch, and "gym", I use "time in heart rate zones" as the common metric among them all. (I don't care much about miles.) Recording this stuff encourages a discipline and lets me see the relative proportions of workouts so that I get enough zones 4 and 5 (for that time trial looming spring '09) and still get the "active recovery" of zones 2 and 3. Yes, there is a mild "apples and oranges" relationship between HRs derived from cycling and running. My reasoning is that there's a lot more similar than otherwise and I'm pursuing overall fitness whilst reducing boredom/burnout.

Every day, I dump (transcribe) the data* into an XLS file along with daily weight, blood pressures, and resting heart rate.

Of course, all this implies having a mid-level or higher HR monitor.

If anyone's interested, drop me a note in a personal message with your e-mail address and I'll fire you a copy of the XLS. If you're a miles recording kind of bloke, you can add that.

* - Here're the data I track:

Total workout time,
    Time in each of HR zones 1 to 5,
    Percent of workout time in HR zones 1 to 5,
    Average HR for entire workout,
    Workload Index (a calculation that allows a rough day-today comparison of effort expended regardless of workout type), and
    Three-minute recovery HR (for those Zone 4 or 5 days).

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Different strokes. Data collection may be motivational for some, but I think I'd quit riding if it meant I had to do all that recording and analysis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Different strokes. Data collection may be motivational for some, but I think I'd quit riding if it meant I had to do all that recording and analysis.
    If you've never done it, you may not realize how simple/quick it is. I plug my Forerunner 305 into the pc and don't even bother to turn the HRM on. The data is downloaded to the Garmin software automatically which is self-initiating when I plug in the 305.

I click to the graphics and charts to see how I performed on that ride. About 5 minutes? The some time later I'll load the data from the Garmin software into Cyclistats. The so-called "analysis" consists of clicking on chart and graph options which I use for comparisons (by day, by month, by trail, by year etc.). I only do this "analysis" (which consists of glancing at the charts and graphics) once in a while, maybe every couple of months.

I do like to annotate, so that might take another 5 minutes. There is a slight learning curve to use the HRM and the software.

I manually enter my saddle time or ridding time and distance data from my cyclometer into cyclistats as the Forerunner GPS distance does not include the up/down distance: only the horizontal projection of the ride.

You do get a graphic of the vertical climbing/descending distance and a total distance climbed. But, the accuracy of GPS in elevation is not great especially under a thick tree cover even with the new receiver chip. Then riding in the mountains, which I do about half the time further degrades GPS accuracy due to satellite drop-outs.

Al

Old Cyclist
    My Bikes
    Novara Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... I think I'd quit riding if it meant I had to do all that recording and analysis.
    I rode for years without logging anything. Currently I'm keeping a very simple spreadsheet with date, miles, wheels-turning time, and average MPH, with a column for route info in sorta shorthand form. I set a personal goal to ride 2K miles this year, so having a log tells me whether I'm going to make it. I'm also aiming to increase average speed, and the log tells me that, too. No special software, just a basic spreadsheet meets my needs, and it only takes a few seconds to enter the data.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i appreciate how easy technology has made the tasks of collecting, collating and analyzing data. however, after years of analyzing the crap out of every push up, sit up, side straddle hop, every mile of running, every mile of swimming, and every mile of riding for myself, as well as for each of my troops, it just isn't in me anymore to collect and analyze anything. but i appreciate that others do, and that it helps them to do better. there is no denying there can be a benefit to the collection and analysis.

but, for me, i'm not so sure that i'm trying to do "better" each time i head out the door as much as i am just "doing" each time i head out the door. time spent running or in the saddle or in the pool is a time of solace and escape for me. i prefer not to clutter it with concerns about "is this performance better than the last time?" and similar questions.

but, again (just to be sure it is clear)... i think it is great that people do derive a benefit from the data. (and the site that tsl recommended looks impressive.)

be well,

jim
    Be in this moment.
    Do not seek the truth. Accept it.

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an Edge 305 and download to Garmin Training Center, Motion Based (free) and SportTracks. Of the 3, SportTracks is my favorite. I also keep a daily log in Word where I record mileage and any maintenance events.

The performance software is fun for me (I love gadgets) and I enjoy seeing how my pace varies day-to-day, how my cadence is running, HR zones, etc. I can see when I've had good days and when I've had bad days.

Speaking of which... it's time to go out and ride for a while...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by BluesDawg Different strokes. Data collection may be motivational for some, but I think I'd quit riding if it meant I had to do all that recording and analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by alcanoe View Post
    If you've never done it, you may not realize how simple/quick it is.
    We're not communicating very well here. I'm very aware of how easy it is to collect and chart data. I do it plenty at work. But I have no desire to do that kind of analysis of my riding. I can tell if I'm getting faster or stronger or lighter or skinnier without all that.

Like I said, different stokes. If it enhances your enjoyment of riding, go for it. For me, it would ruin it.

I'll admit I am a bit more analytical when it comes to building and modifying my bikes, especially with gearing options.

My Bikes
    Jamis Satellite; Ellsworth Scant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use this one by Dan Spiers, this is very comprehensive and well worth the $5 for the premium version
    http://web.mac.com/danspeirs/prolog/home.html
    Jamis Satellite 08.

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by BluesDawg Different strokes. Data collection may be motivational for some, but I think I'd quit riding if it meant I had to do all that recording and analysis.

We're not communicating very well here. I'm very aware of how easy it is to collect and chart data. I do it plenty at work. But I have no desire to do that kind of analysis of my riding. I can tell if I'm getting faster or stronger or lighter or skinnier without all that.

Like I said, different stokes. If it enhances your enjoyment of riding, go for it. For me, it would ruin it.

I'll admit I am a bit more analytical when it comes to building and modifying my bikes, especially with gearing options.
    BluesDawg, I'm with you 100% on this one. Collecting data just spoils the ride for me. I've got the Garmin, gave away a HRM, got 6 or 8 bike computers, lost my log. Like you, I can tell if I'm getting stronger, weaker, lighter or fatter without a log. One thing for sure, I'm getting older and I sure as hell ain't gonna log that.
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I log all of my rides, I track my mileage diligently....but alas it does not work.
    I still don't ride enough.