Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I did converted bybrid to road bike

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-13-08, 10:54 PM

Bikes: Hybrid but looking for a tour bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK Ok I believe i did it alot goes into modifying. My wife says i am tim allen with an attitude lol. Well she does anywhos i bought an insight1 and through the bike forum i was able to convert this bike the best i could Starting with trekker handle bars. changing the back gears to road bike type instead .Also have a larger neck as well 140 instead of a 130. You can see what i did through the attachment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2008-09-13 21-03-08_0008.jpg (40.5 KB, 168 views)
Old 09-13-08, 10:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heres more pics
Attached Images
2008-09-13 21-02-50_0007.jpg (75.3 KB, 92 views)
2008-09-13 21-03-33_0009.JPG (54.0 KB, 74 views)
2008-09-13 21-03-37_0010.JPG (93.6 KB, 69 views)
Old 09-13-08, 10:59 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like you have been having fun. Wouldn't say it was a road bike just yet, but you have changed the character of the bike more in that direction.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 09-13-08, 11:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i need a moderator to fix title of post it should read Hybrid mispelled. Thankyou. David
Old 09-13-08, 11:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey thanks tom coming from you that means alot. David
Old 09-13-08, 11:02 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Boy, if you are out on the ends of those bar ends, you are stretched out a long way.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 09-13-08, 11:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The trekker bar is awesome but depending on your bike you will have to change the neck as well. The next thing to work on is the peddles but most likely going to the shoe style. david
Old 09-13-08, 11:04 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shooters_desire
hey thanks tom coming from you that means alot. David
I hope you don't mind that I laughed out loud when I read this!

Perhaps I should have you talk to my wife and children.

Old 09-13-08, 11:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that i'll have to test and see how she handles. Almost like putting a carb in a chevy sometimes you need to do more then just the carb lol Been there done that so to speak. But the idea was to get down more to help with elevation not upright where you get more wind in your face.
Old 09-13-08, 11:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
one thing i like about riding is the opertunity to take pictures. I have a canon 30d with a 70 200 macro lens. Love to take pictures
Old 09-14-08, 04:27 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
So get out and test ride- Hopefully next saturday on the annual PIE ride and get the pics to qualify.

Takes a lot to modify a bike into what you want but it does look as though you are going in the right direstion.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-14-08, 06:29 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
OK Ok I believe i did it alot goes into modifying. My wife says i am tim allen with an attitude lol.
Yup. You've acquired the disease. Now you're going to be modifying and building special purpose bikes for the rest of your life. Your wife should be happy because you'll be safely tinkering in your shop insted of out carousing.
Old 09-14-08, 06:51 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
i need a moderator to fix title of post it should read Hybrid mispelled. Thankyou. David
It needs more fixing than that.
Old 09-14-08, 09:59 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SD, or is it sd, your conversion is looking pretty good. I partially converted my sons GT mountain bike into a drop bar commuter and it worked pretty well. You asked in your original post if we could see what you did. One thing that would help us "see" better is if you move your bike somewhere with less stuff in the background. It is hard to tell what is on the bike and what is behind it. Your pictures look like you took them in my garage. Most of us close the garage door and lean the bike against it from the outside for a less cluttered view.
Old 09-14-08, 10:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes my lightimg was bad plus left over from Ike is baring down on us. Lighting is the key but thats a great idea. Thanks will reshoot also need to test drive it some more.
Old 09-14-08, 10:12 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
How does that frame compare with other sloping top tube road bike geometries?
Old 09-14-08, 10:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok here is some revamped shots
Attached Images
2008-09-14 12-35-01_0008.jpg (67.4 KB, 35 views)
2008-09-14 12-34-20_0004.JPG (72.6 KB, 30 views)
2008-09-14 12-33-14_0001.JPG (81.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 09-14-08, 11:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well if your asking if it compares with a trek 2.i lol not a chance but its light and would make a good touring bike now. I'll let you know how it rides after Ike passes ..
Old 09-14-08, 11:38 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can you even ride it with your hands out on the L-section of the bar ends?

I ask because that's mostly a mountain-bike type of frame. Mountain bikes frequently have longer top tubes than many road bikes, as they expect the hand position to be even with the end of the stem, whereas a road bike is designed knowing that people tend to ride on the hoods, which are extended well beyond the stem.

So you've put on a longer stem (140mm?) and a trekking bar, which moves the forward hand position to well beyond where a flat bar would have it. Then you put on the bar ends in such a way that it extends the far hand position another 4" or so. You must now be a good 8"-9" (200+mm) beyond the normal hand position. Even your shifters and brakes are well beyond where a flat-bar road bike would place them.

Of course you have many other hand positions with the trekking bar, including some that are closer than the end of the stem.

Old 09-14-08, 12:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well whats nice is my lower arms rest on the trekker bar. Still waiting to test drive it. RAin rain rain..But i will make changes if i need to but this is a hybrid frame not a mountain bike more designed like a touring bike.
Old 09-15-08, 10:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
converted hybrid into a speed monster (well almost)

Tom i road it today the center point is about 4" forward then where the straight bar would be. the ballance is perfect because where the brakes are puts them to the side a bit still leaving me with plenty of ballance. As far as speed BIG DIFFERENCE. it almost feels lighter so to speak. No drag. The gears in the rear are smaller like taking a rear end thats a 370 and making it a 411. The rear gears that were on there seams to be for a mountain bike, but the big change was taking a 38 to a 28 tire and they swopt it out for me because the tire was only a month old and in good shape.
Old 09-15-08, 11:00 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You are talking about the center point of the forward position of the trekking bar, correct? Then the end of the bar ends is out another 4" or so?

So you've moved your hand position forward about 110-115mm? You put on a longer stem and then added another 4". Can't say that I've ever heard of anyone making that big of a modification.

Old 09-16-08, 04:26 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
The original position must have been very cramped if the new position is comfortable. Now that your position is so much more forward, you will probably find that big soft saddle is no longer comfortable. Something narrower and firmer might be better.
Old 09-16-08, 06:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok t )o the meaty part of the seat ( where butt sits ) to the center point of where the grip is om handlebar ( where i hold to is 34" ) The whole purpose is to get my center point more down away from an upright position. Which i have accomplished but based upon where the old neck would be yes i am about 4" out. the good thing about this design is the trek bar gives me more rest on my arms as well. But my long term goal is to get a road bike but for now i am stuck with this one. but i do have it on craigslist
Old 09-16-08, 08:24 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
You are talking about the center point of the forward position of the trekking bar, correct? Then the end of the bar ends is out another 4" or so?

So you've moved your hand position forward about 110-115mm? You put on a longer stem and then added another 4". Can't say that I've ever heard of anyone making that big of a modification.
I wonder how such a large modification will affect the handling of the bike. Pay attention to that as you ride and how the bike responds on turns and quick shifts of your position to avoid potholes and such. When I was test riding the Roubaix they put on a short stem, the shortest they could go, thinking I'd feel more comfortable. I did not like the way the bike handled so I chose a longer stem instead and it feels comfortable. The short stem caused the handling to be too..... twitchy, for lack of a better word and felt unsafe. Safety and handling are two considerations when changing bars and stems.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.