Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Books on Training for the 50+ rider

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-18-08, 01:32 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I've been a commuter, but would like to train for Centuries.

What books do you recommend concerning fitness & diet?

Is "Cycling Past 50" a good place to start?

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-18-08 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-18-08, 01:44 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Cycling Past 50 is an awesome book. I bought it in 2001 when I was just a kid of 56.
It's great for training or just learning things "older" cyclists need to know.

A few others I'd recommend are:
Andy Pruitt's Medical Guide for Cyclists
Off-Season Training for Roadies

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 09-18-08 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-18-08, 01:51 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I've been a commuter, but would like to train for Centuries.

Is "Cycling Past 50" a good place to start?

Michael
Cycling Past 50 is an outstandingly good book, but it's training philosophy (based on Friel) is a bit too "structured" for some.

Another very good book is Bicycling Magazine's Complete Book of Long Distance Cycling. Besides the training stuff, it includes a lot of good info on bike maintenance and prep, gear, food/fuel, etc.
Old 09-18-08, 02:05 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv

Michael
Many moons ago I bought a book on Mountain biking. Read it once- found nothing new and it is still in the bookcase somewhere.

On fitness- get out and ride. Gradually increase milage and take in a few hills. You will know when the training starts taking effect.

And on Diet- take in more carbohydrates if you don't already. Plenty of pasta- rice- Fruit& nuts and sticky buns and PIE- PIE is good as it does Carbs and fruit. Don't forget protein either and that will help build and repair muscle but forget the 16oz steaks. The body can only assimilate protein in small amounts -if it is to be usefull so a few snacks of cheese- a Boiled egg or a bit of Protein in the pasta.

And if you feel you are overweight and have to diet- DON'T-The change in diet will work if you ride more.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-18-08, 02:24 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pasta and pie??? Yeah, right...

Most everyone I know who has been successful at losing weight has cut back on carbs, and focused on protein and veggies.

I used to consider carbs an important part of the daily "athlete's diet", and would always include pasta, rice, or bread with dinner. It just seemed natural, because "carbs are our fuel" when we're exercising.

The problem is, carbs are so damned easy to over-consume.

This season, I've cut way back on them, and I'm down to 164 lbs (at 55 years old, and 5' 11"). That's roughly what I weighed in my 20's.

I have no problems with energy levels on the bike, and I'm definitely much faster when climbing hills.
Old 09-18-08, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The absolutely best book for both health and endurance nutrition is Ryan's Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes (2nd edition). As they say, the devil is in the details and you might as well avail yourself of the contemporary scientific ones. It makes a big difference.

She writes for Velo news, you can check out some of her articles on their web site.

Al
Old 09-18-08, 10:15 PM

Bikes: Orbea Orca - 2007, Orbea Ordu - 2008, Cervelo P3 track, Santana Sovereign tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought Faster Better Stronger by Eric Heiden and Max Testa. It is not cycling specific, but an excellent back to basics book. Hermes and I met Eric and Max at a book signing at Bicycle Outfitters in Los Altos. They were very approachable and interested in everyone's cycling activities. Highly recommend the book!
Old 09-19-08, 04:48 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
Cycling Past 50 is an outstandingly good book, but it's training philosophy (based on Friel) is a bit too "structured" for some.
I was pretty much underwhelmed by this book. Far too structured and technical for my tastes, but it did cover some good concepts. The useful part of the book for me could have been a 20 page booklet.
Old 09-19-08, 06:39 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I purchased Dr. Michael Ross's "Maximun Performance for Cyclist" for only $5 at a booth at a Home and Flower show. The book is easy to understand and adapt to your own goals. The author is able to break down the body's processes during excersize and the effects of different kinds of training to understandable terms. The author also has sample workouts that are adaptable to riders of most any level. I have Friel's book and think it's too complicated and structuerd for someone just getting into goal and improvement plans. I also have the "Biking to 100" book and think that book is too "feel good and generic" without any substance to get better other than the examples written about other riders, but, it's a good start for someone new to riding at our age.
Old 09-19-08, 07:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out "Bike for Life, How to Ride to 100" by Roy M. Wallack and Bill Katovsky. Lots of advice to keep one biking for life. Training, injury prevention, rehab, diet, bike fit, riding technique and inspirational interviews with bicycle notables and serious but not so notable bicyclists. With a dose of humor thrown in.

2wheelbuzz
Old 09-19-08, 08:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2wheelbuzz
Check out "Bike for Life, How to Ride to 100" by Roy M. Wallack and Bill Katovsky. Lots of advice to keep one biking for life. Training, injury prevention, rehab, diet, bike fit, riding technique and inspirational interviews with bicycle notables and serious but not so notable bicyclists. With a dose of humor thrown in.

2wheelbuzz
I do like that book and reread sections once in a while. However, it's a mixture of science and folklore, so one should be cautious. The sections written by the bikers are particulary interesting and motivational. Even my "hero", Ned Overend (not a good name for a mountain biker) wrote one. His book and video really kick-started my mountain biking abilities.

He won the first world cross country chamionship in Durango in his late 30's.

Al