User Tag List

Thread: Another Univega

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Univega

Saw another one at CL... this one a Univega Range Rover ES. Women's, claims to be 'excellent', slanted top tube. $100.

Can anyone tell me anything about this particular model? Google turns up very little about it.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did a search on Google and not many details for the Land rover. From what I can make out it is an older 12 speed mountain bike from the 90's. If it is ---Forget it. It may have turned into the Rover series and that was not a good bike at all. And the only Land rovers I have found have Shimano SIS gears- so once again puts it to early 90's or cheap and not too good.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...e+Search&meta=
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it is anything special. A low end 90s mountain bike. Probably a bit on the heavy side. Most likely with lower end components. The kind of bike that makes for a nice around town bike that you don't have to worry about being stolen. If the right size & adjusted correctly, it would make someone a serviceable bike. Would be fine for graveled bike trails.

Don't know if I'd want to do any serious mileage on it.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your comments. I'll ask in the V&C forum where members are probably more familiar with it.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another ad for one on CL. Is the one you are looking at like this one? This one has a mixte frame.

They only want $20 for theirs.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/841042466.html

This listing will probably disappear soon. It can't take long to sell a bike for $20.

Is the one that follows the one you're looking at? Nice color.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/bik/842844430.html
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that's the one.

I'm not looking for Univegas..... I'm just looking for an affordable but quality bike for riding around town, not long rides..... sturdy, clean, decent components, and fits me. I'm hoping the LBS can get a Jamis Coda in for me to try for size. Meanwhile I'm looking at CL to see what's there and maybe, just maybe, I'll find a treasure.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think this Univega is a "treasure," but it could be an okay bike for the right application. That frame might be cro-moly steel. I found that many of the Rover series were. Even if it is, the weight is probably in the upper 20s.

If the "ES" means it is an upper level model, then maybe the components are decent. Odds aren't real high, but maybe.

If you had a parts bin like some of the people on this forum, where you could swap out the lower end parts, then you might end up with a decent bike.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom bombadil View Post
    here's another ad for one on cl. Is the one you are looking at like this one? This one has a mixte frame.

They only want $20 for theirs.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/841042466.html

this listing will probably disappear soon. It can't take long to sell a bike for $20.

[/url]
    $120
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm blind, I'm blind!