Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 09-16-08, 01:54 PM   #1
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Preparing for winter

We seem to have had a diabolical summer this year but as the evenings draw in and the weather starts to take a bit of a turn to cooler and damper- I have to start thinking about preparing the bikes for winter riding. Mountain bike is set up except for a couple of items. I will have to have the spare set of wheels set up with the Mud tyres- and the worn out Fire XC's will have to be looked at to see if there is enough tread on them. Bottom bracket will be checked out for any looseness and the chain and sprockets checked for wear. Other than that- not much to do to it.

Now the road bike is a bit different. I will still be using the Michelin PR2's but the wheels will be swopped over to an old set. Don't feel like wearing out good wheels with all the grit and muck with the brakes grinding the rims to bits. Bit of waterproofing will go on the cables and I will check that the cables are stainless steel. I know that on Boreas- I have to change the Outer ring shortly so I will be buying one now for when it does get just a bit too far gone.

Other than that- It will be down to the clothing. Means that I will have to tidy the bike shed in order to find the waterproof gloves- but all the rest of the clothing is in the Cupboard in the garge. Hopefully kept dry but It will have to be washed.

All I have to do is arrange for the loan of DG's bike butler and I will be set for the best season of the year for riding.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 02:25 PM   #2
Cone Wrench

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's how we prepare for winter riding in Montreal:

studded tires on the mountain bike,

several Hail, Marys,

and away we go.

Wheeee!

And colder=better because everything is drier.
Cone Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 08:44 PM   #3
Hask12

Bikes:
I refuse to acknowledge the fact that summer is coming to an end, even though I know that in another month there may be snow on the ground. Crap, now I need to get the snow blower ready.
Hask12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 08:58 PM   #4
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
I know how bad you're itching for good riding. I hope you have a nice mild winter so you can enjoy many miles after your hard work on the pool this year.

To prepare for winter, I'll transfer the cool weather clothes into my closet where they are easier to get to. That's about it!
Old 09-16-08, 09:20 PM   #5
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Now this is when we need a moderator.

This thread is offensive.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 09:26 PM   #6
doctor j

Bikes:
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post

Amen, brother!
doctor j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 10:08 PM   #7
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Here in SoCal the winter is just a bit cooler than the summer, but quite rideable! Plan a SoCal cycling vacation for Dec., Jan. or Feb. and you'll see.

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 11:25 PM   #8
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
Here in SoCal the winter is just a bit cooler than the summer, but quite rideable! Plan a SoCal cycling vacation for Dec., Jan. or Feb. and you'll see.

Rick / OCRR
Yeah, it's getting time in a month or so to pull out the long sleeve jerseys.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-08, 06:36 AM   #9
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800
My plan for winter riding: book a condo in Miami Beach for January. Seriously.
Ken Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-08, 08:02 AM   #10
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I was in the basement yesterday, where my studded snow tires and wider winter fenders are waiting patiently. I have plenty of "wet" lube left from last winter. And I stocked-up on winter wear at the end-of-season sales in the spring, so I'm all set.

Wait, I may get a cheap, less ventilated helmet for winter. Not sure yet.
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-08, 08:35 AM   #11
Road Fan

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post

+1! I think we need a "50+ North Branch" and a "50+ South Branch."
Road Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-08, 09:15 AM   #12
PaulH

Bikes:
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I really don't do anything until December, when I have the bike shop switch my bike over to the studded tires. Probably a good idea to inspect the tires to make sure they are good for at least one more season - they are about six years old now.

Paul
PaulH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-08, 09:42 AM   #13
cranky old dude

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl View Post
I was in the basement yesterday, where my studded snow tires and wider winter fenders are waiting patiently. I have plenty of "wet" lube left from last winter. And I stocked-up on winter wear at the end-of-season sales in the spring, so I'm all set.

Yep, looked at my studded tires this past weekend too....but I drank the
last bottle of wet lube two days ago. Gonna get another case on the way home
tonight. (or are you talking about lube for the bike?)

Happy Trails
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-08, 10:35 AM   #14
Cone Wrench

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl View Post

I use the same helmet, but I put on a waterproof helmet cover to cut the wind and use an ear band specially made to fit under a helmet. My head stays cozy even at -20C
Cone Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-08, 04:43 PM   #15
tsl
Plays in traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone Wrench View Post
I use the same helmet, but I put on a waterproof helmet cover to cut the wind and use an ear band specially made to fit under a helmet. My head stays cozy even at -20C
The coldest I've ridden in the past two years is 5F, -15C.

I tried the Louis Garneau helmet cover, and it was just too hot and sweaty for me. I sweat mainly from the head, so I always need some ventilation. I have a winter weight cycling skullcap which also covers my ears, but down below 15F, -10C, I need a little something more, so I was thinking a little less ventilation.

Now truth be told, what's really happening is that I'm trying to justify buying an additional helmet. I've learned that falling on the fancy ultra-ventilated ones that I like in summer is an expensive proposition. And Nashbar has one that matches my bike for $30.
Old 09-17-08, 04:46 PM   #16
tsl
Plays in traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
[] but I drank the last bottle of wet lube two days ago. []
(or are you talking about lube for the bike?)
The bike kind. I can't have the other kind.
Old 09-17-08, 04:49 PM   #17
Makeitso
Desert Rat

Bikes: GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)
Preparing for the winter here in SoCal... no sweat. I wear a jacket... sometimes on the really cold days when it gets down to 45 or below.
Makeitso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-08, 07:55 PM   #18
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I want to go on record as denying that Winter is headed towards the Heartland anytime in the next few months.
Beautiful day today, wasn't it?
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-08, 07:59 PM   #19
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
77 & sunny here today. I actually got a bit overheated while on a ride.

I see this thread has continued despite my earlier protest. I'm afraid I must now resort to banishing this thread.

This thread is now officially banished from my kingdom.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-08, 10:03 PM   #20
Louis

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
We seem to have had a diabolical summer this year but as the evenings draw in and the weather starts to take a bit of a turn to cooler and damper- I have to start thinking about preparing the bikes for winter riding. Mountain bike is set up except for a couple of items. I will have to have the spare set of wheels set up with the Mud tyres- and the worn out Fire XC's will have to be looked at to see if there is enough tread on them. Bottom bracket will be checked out for any looseness and the chain and sprockets checked for wear. Other than that- not much to do to it.

Now the road bike is a bit different. I will still be using the Michelin PR2's but the wheels will be swopped over to an old set. Don't feel like wearing out good wheels with all the grit and muck with the brakes grinding the rims to bits. Bit of waterproofing will go on the cables and I will check that the cables are stainless steel. I know that on Boreas- I have to change the Outer ring shortly so I will be buying one now for when it does get just a bit too far gone.

Other than that- It will be down to the clothing. Means that I will have to tidy the bike shed in order to find the waterproof gloves- but all the rest of the clothing is in the Cupboard in the garge. Hopefully kept dry but It will have to be washed.

All I have to do is arrange for the loan of DG's bike butler and I will be set for the best season of the year for riding.
I believe Houseboy is available.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-08, 11:10 AM   #21
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I believe Houseboy is available.
Hope not- The last one wasn't any good. Didn't wear the right team colours
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Houseboy.jpg (33.9 KB, 12 views)

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-08, 11:45 AM   #22
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
We're having a cool snap this week. Highs in the low to mid 80s every day for a week. Winter is still too far away to think about. I'm looking forward to Autumn.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-08, 12:45 PM   #23
alcanoe

Bikes:
My first thought was I don't prepare at all except to carry a bigger hydration pack so I can fit some emergency gear like an extra med weight Capilene shirt, extra food, thin Space Blanket, and have room for my cycling heavy duty shell. I bike alone on some long/remote trails and I might have to wait a while for rescue if I get hurt.

The I remembered that I do put a new front tire on in the fall to have sharp knobbies plus a more aggressive tread pattern to cut through the damp leaves. They help on frozen ground as well. Though in N Georgia, you get little snow and I've yet to ride below the mid 20's.

The biggest improvement in comfort came when I upgraded from Gortex to Event material for the heavy-duty shell. It's as windproof/waterproof as Gortex, but breaths far better. No more dampness after a hard, high heart-rate climb.

I talked to the designer/manufacturer of my shell (possibly the first in the US market) and he said that the Gore patent expired and a Swiss company improved on it and named it Event.

I also quit wearing cycling jerseys when fall temps hit. I use silk weight Capilene (Patagonia). It evacuates sweat just as well as the cycling stuff, but it's more wind resistant. I layer a medium weight on the silk weight to get the required warmth. The stuff made it's mark in the canoe/kayak paddling community as well as in wilderness expeditions.

Al
alcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-08, 11:15 AM   #24
naisme
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns
Been doing this long enough, that all I need do is grow a face warmer, but that won't happen till the first frosts.

I used to love the comments about my beard all iced up, but my commute now is too short to get a good icing.
naisme is offline   Reply With Quote