Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impulse buy, PIE and stuff

After my last (and only) post here I made several trips to the LBS, asked gazillions of questions, went on 4 "test rides" and then, while killing time out of town on Craigslist, bought a used bike after 10 minutes.
    The bike in question is an '05 Roubiax Elite. Son of a *** was perfectly sized for me- owner claimed he had 100 miles on it, neither me nor my LBS believe it had anywhere near that many as it really looked brand new(the guy stored it in his study). I've only been able to put about 50 miles on it and really like it, but I have some questions related to it's intended use( leisurely 40 to 70 miles rides and occasional multi day touring w/o packing everything)
    All Ultegra except a 105 front DR, which is I think is OK, with a triple - will this prove reliable and not
    require constant "fiddling" (I don't care for frequent adjusting, repairing)
    I question the wheels-ALX 295s. They seem very heavy. I will keep them awhile if they stay true, but
    have already had to twist a few spokes- just a case of inactivity or a trait of these wheels?
    As for PIE- I'm all for it ('specially coconut meringue), but what is FRED?

Don

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh oh. He asked about Fred. Who's gonna tell him?
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds as though you got a good un. The 105 Front DR is not a problem. Front deraillers do not take a great deal of strain and will last a long time.

Now on the wheels-If I were you- I would get them into the LBS- Providing they have a good wheel builder- And get them to retension the spokes and retrue the wheel. If they have loose spokes coming- sounds as though they need an "Expert" to check them out.

And I am afraid that I do not like Alex rims or OM hubs. get the wheels sorted but look around for a better set. Personally I would go for handbuilts ----Or a set of Mavic Aksiums. Aksiums are the cheapest in the Line of Mavic Wheels but are bomb proof. I would prefer the handbuilts though and a Mavic Open pro rim on 105 hubs with 36 spokes would not be that expensive. And once the current wheels are sorted- They would be ideal for a rough weather- Winter riding wheel.

As to the intended use- 70 miles rides- Even century or longer rides are well within the bikes scope- Just make certain you are by building up to it sensibly.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK-searched for FRED-
    Definition I saw said " FRED = Don "
    Shoulda known.

Don

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=molarface;7482747]
    Definition I saw said " FRED = Don "

/QUOTE]

Wear it proudly.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm... don, can we trade dictionaries... mine said Fred=jim? i think i like yours better...

be well,

jim
    Be in this moment.
    Do not seek the truth. Accept it.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You bought a good bike with good components - you did exactly the right thing rather than buying a new and much lesser bike with parts that as your say will always need fiddling with.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $$?
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you got a very good bike for your intended purposes. It should be very reliable as long as you maintain it properly. I would take the bike to your LBS and get it tuned up and ask them to look for any problems.

Definitely get a reputable wheelbuilder to retension the wheels as stapfam recommended. Most factory built wheels need retensioning to make them reliable. Otherwise you'll be plagued with loose spokes. If you decide to get new wheels later, I like the suggestion of Mavic Open Pros with 105 or Ultegra hubs and double butted spokes. Unless you are very heavy and/or you plod through potholes and over RR tracks without standing to lessen the impact, I think 32 spokes are plenty if the wheels are built properly.
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 09-17-08 at 01:05 PM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went to the LBS, 4 test rides, a zillion questions, then bought a bike on Craiglist and took it back to the same LBS to get his opinion? Your LBS is a saint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hask12 View Post
    Went to the LBS, 4 test rides, a zillion questions, then bought a bike on Craiglist and took it back to the same LBS to get his opinion? Your LBS is a saint.
    +1 - take the BSG a very nice 6-pack.
    And buy some bibs, and a jersey. and a jacket, and shoes, and socks, and... , so you won't look like a Fred.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    +1 - take the BSG a very nice 6-pack.
    And buy some bibs, and a jersey. and a jacket, and shoes, and socks, and... , so you won't look like a Fred.
    The 6 pack for the shop sounds a good idea and that clothing is not only so you stop being a Fred- It turns you into a person that has comfort when on the bike.

And Do Bypass the shorts stage- Go straight for the bibs.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    The 6 pack for the shop sounds a good idea and that clothing is not only so you stop being a Fred- It turns you into a person that has comfort when on the bike.

And Do Bypass the shorts stage- Go straight for the bibs.
    Yes, you'll need the bib to protect the new jersey from stains when eating your
    pie on Saturday! What?!?!

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molarface View Post
    After my last (and only) post here I made several trips to the LBS, asked gazillions of questions, went on 4 "test rides" and then, while killing time out of town on Craigslist, bought a used bike after 10 minutes.
    The bike in question is an '05 Roubiax Elite. Son of a *** was perfectly sized for me- owner claimed he had 100 miles on it, neither me nor my LBS believe it had anywhere near that many as it really looked brand new(the guy stored it in his study). I've only been able to put about 50 miles on it and really like it, but I have some questions related to it's intended use( leisurely 40 to 70 miles rides and occasional multi day touring w/o packing everything)
    All Ultegra except a 105 front DR, which is I think is OK, with a triple - will this prove reliable and not
    require constant "fiddling" (I don't care for frequent adjusting, repairing)
    I question the wheels-ALX 295s. They seem very heavy. I will keep them awhile if they stay true, but
    have already had to twist a few spokes- just a case of inactivity or a trait of these wheels?
    As for PIE- I'm all for it ('specially coconut meringue), but what is FRED?Don
    The reality of Fred is that if you are not paid to ride a bike, and don't win most of the races you are paid to win, then you are Fred. There will always be someone who is a better rider than us and who will "look down on us Freds" . In short we are all Freds unless we are dressing like the Pro, who looks down on us, then we are "Pousers". Pousers are lower on the food chain than Fred.

Nice job on the new-to-you bike! Get out and ride it often and keep us posted on your progress, and when you go clipless and begin to fall over.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pousers?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Pousers?
    Haven't you noticed I'm a very poor speller? At least at home my computer warns me the word is spelled wrong. That's if it can tell it's a word.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is there something wrong with being a Fred??..

Nice bike by the way. Get Open Pro rims on Ultegra Hubs..........or better yet CXP33 rims on Ultegra's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clarifications

robtown - I paid $800-I felt I couldn't walk away from that.

BluesDawg - sounds like a plan. My LBS has made wheels twice in the past for me, but I just took their word for what I needed, not feeling that I knew enough to specify.

Hask, leob1, and stapfam - I actually have been all over people on another forum for abusing brick and mortar stores. I never would go out of my way to do that to a guy working on commission or trying to make a living- I've been there both ways. In the past 15 years or so - from this shop-I have bought 6 new bikes, had 2 rebuilt and bought a slew of accessories/supplies from the same shop. They said they had no hard feelings when I had them look at the bike. Then they sold me a pair of SIDIs. Bibs are next- from the LBS. Jerseys are another matter- I've been thinkin' 'bout one of those 50+ jobs.

Allegheny Jet - I don't mind being Fred- when I was younger I did, now I just laugh. I have noticed a wonderful sense of reality and a healthy dose of self deprecating humor on the 50+ forum and I feel "at home". Been clipless years ago, I'm not afraid of being stuck in them- going commando is another story, I am afraid of falling out of them.

Don

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hask12 View Post
    Or. put another way, "Went to the LBS, 4 test rides, a zillion questions, then bought a bike on Craiglist and took it back to the same LBS to get his opinion? If your LBS treated you well, they are showing signs of knowing how to stay in business."
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molarface View Post
    robtown - I paid $800-I felt I couldn't walk away from that.

Jerseys are another matter- I've been thinkin' 'bout one of those 50+ jobs.

Allegheny Jet - I don't mind being Fred- when I was younger I did, now I just laugh. I have noticed a wonderful sense of reality and a healthy dose of self deprecating humor on the 50+ forum and I feel "at home". Been clipless years ago, I'm not afraid of being stuck in them- going commando is another story, I am afraid of falling out of them.

Don
    Go Commando for the extra comfort it brings and with bibs- no fear of falling out. Honest----Having rucks in the undergarments can be very painfull- very quickly. On the jerseys- Don't forget that the cooler weather is on the way so long sleeve is a must. Aswell as the showerproof/waterproof top- depending on where you live.

And hurry up- PIE Ride is Saturday- so get the camera charged aswell.

Spike Milligan