Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post exhaustion after 37 mile ride

I rode my first 37-mile fund raising ride last Sunday (September 14). I had no problem keeping up with our ride leader. We averaged a speed of 15-16 mph. There were several gradual up hills. (I've been taking spinning and aerobic classes plus riding my bike on my own to train for the ride.) I felt fine and energetic (save for a slight headache) when we finished the ride. But later that evening I was EXHAUSTED and have been ever since. I went to bed early Sunday and Monday night, but couldnít get out bed the Monday or this morning without a struggle. I have no energy at work. I went out my car on Monday and today and took an hour nap! Any ideas to help me become a part of the living world again? How can I prevent this in the future? I have done solo 25+ rides but donít remember being this tired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did you eat and drink before, after the ride? It sounds like it could be a nutional problem. For future rides I would be careful with drinking enough fluids before and after the ride.

Gas, the price of a can of beans

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, stay well hydrated--and watch out for the heat. Some also say you should have a high-protein snack right after you ride for quicker recovery. As for myself, I tend to get quite sleepy after longish rides. I went on a 50 mile ride on Sunday and was so tired that on my drive home, I stopped by a bookstore that has some nice, overstuffed chair--and took a lovely 30-minute snooze.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the feeling but I've never had it quite that bad.

I've had three bouts. The first time was during the second day of a 50 mile out and 50 mile back trip. I had ridden about 20 miles or so that seemed a lot harder than I thought it should have felt. At a rest stop I decided to take a nap on the sidewalk and eventually sagged back to the start.

This year it's happened twice. During my vacation after 3 60 mile medium hard days I took a day off and literally slept all day. At the Midwest Tandem Rally after a medium hard 30 miler on Saturday I wasn't able to face riding at all on Sunday.

I've been to the doctor twice. I had my heart, thyroid and blood levels checked out but haven't been able to pin point a cause. If you come up with any additional information, I'd be very interested.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds fishy to me, even if you bonked you should be functioning somewhat normal after a day or two. You may be coming down with a cold or have some other medical issue. See your Doc.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Fred at large
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The headache leads me to believe that your problem is somewhat hydration related. Add to that the lack of energy and I begin to suspect an overall nutrition and hydration problem as well as over exertion.

We all have off days where we don't eat/drink enough and then overwork during a ride. Sometimes it's because of a lack of QUALITY sleep prior to riding or some other reason. If you add in a poor diet prior to the heavy exercise you will get the result you're seeing.

You'll probably return to normal in a couple more days. In the future you should be sure to carb load prior to long rides and be sure to hydrate well before and during the ride and don't forget to eat during the ride.

My Bikes
    Scott Road, Jamis, Tricross,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been a couple of days and your not doing better, I would go see your doctor. Life is to precious to ignore it.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like dehydration to me. But if it is lasting this long it could be something else as well. Are you drinking lots of fluids?
    Always pre-hydrate, hydrate and rehydrate.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would see 40 miles at 16 mph as a hard ride, at least for me. When I push the limits hard, it can take me a few days to feel back to normal, and less if I take moderate low-speed rides starting the second day after the big ride. I need to make myself recover. I also don't always FEEL recovered when I go out for a recovery ride, but they do work out well.

I agree with the points about hydration and nutrition, but is sounds like you didn't have problems with strength and power during the ride. Post-ride nutrition is important.

Road Fan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for the advice. I don't think the problem was nutrition but rather hydration. I didn't drink anything before the ride 'cause I figured I would have to stop for the bathroom. I couldn't get my water bottle out of its cage while I was riding so I didn't drink any water there. Even when we stopped at the rest stops, I forgot to drink. And at the end of the ride, although we had a potluck, I really didn't drink much liquid.
    I also didn't get much sleep the night before the ride. And when I did fall asleep it was very stressful.

I am going to correct these problems on my next ride. Who knows . . . maybe the "PIE" ride.

Also, thank goodness no one said, like my S.O. and others, that 55+ was just too old to be riding anyway.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kajero View Post
    55+ was just too old to be riding .
    +1

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    snip

Also, thank goodness no one said, like my S.O. and others, that 55+ was just too old to be riding anyway.
    Nothing like an "expert" opinion. My mom (80 years old) likes to tell me that I'm overdoing it riding 50-100+ mile rides. I finally had to tell her, "Mom, I love you and appreciate your concern... but you don't know anything about this sport and you don't know what you're talking about."

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The oldest guy in our club is 70. During our training rides over the last 7 weeks he completed at least four metric centuries. No, you're not too old.
    My guide, anything above 3 miles and I must have a water bottle. Anything over 20 miles must have two large water bottles. Anything over 30 miles must have a hydration pack and two water bottles plus funds to buy more fluid on the ride.
    I posted here about two weeks ago before our MS ride and picked up some good tips regarding nutrition. Once you get the hydration thing resolved, you should take a look at what you're eating before, during and after the ride. Thirty Seven miles is a serious ride and requires cosuming the correct fuels to keep you going during the ride, without cramping and after the ride.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=roccobike;7492564]
    My guide, anything above 3 miles and I must have a water bottle. Anything over 20 miles must have two large water bottles. Anything over 30 miles must have a hydration pack and two water bottles plus funds to buy more fluid on the ride.

How often do you have to stop to go to bathroom?

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an aside, my group had just finished our ride and we were taking off our helmets and going in for a Coke. A rider from another group said, "You must be the guys who take long rides, you carry so much water". I thought it was a good observation. We all had two water bottles and most had hydration packs.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Where do you guys pee with all that hydration?
    2. Yep, feeling tired can be normal. I ride 20 mikes each way to work three days a week. The level of effort perceived in these rides varies wildly, yet my speed is very consistent. Some days I feel great after the ride, and other days I don't want to see the bike for three days. I have no idea why this happens.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crock View Post
    2. Yep, feeling tired can be normal. I ride 20 mikes each way to work three days a week. The level of effort perceived in these rides varies wildly, yet my speed is very consistent. Some days I feel great after the ride, and other days I don't want to see the bike for three days. I have no idea why this happens.

I seldom need to stop for relief on a ride of 60 miles or less. On any ride longer than 30 miles I drink a bottle of water 15 minutes before starting, attempt to "go" before I'm out the door, then while riding try to finish off a bottle every hour. For a 50 mile ride I only need to carry two bottles of fluid, usually one gatorade and one regular water. On longer rides I'll sometimes bring a third bottle and put it in my back pocket or stop at a 7/11 type store and buy some more drinks. That's when I'll pee if needed. On the rare occasion when nature calls and I'm on the bike, I'll just pull over to a wooded area or, if it's not busy, I'll just lean the bike against my backside and go.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't carry much water because there are places along the way where I can get water (park, campground, etc.).

Is that not true for you guys, or do you just not want to stop?

I figure that by eliminating two water bottles, I've reduced the weight of my bike to the tune of $600.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    I don't carry much water because there are places along the way where I can get water (park, campground, etc.).

Is that not true for you guys, or do you just not want to stop?

I figure that by eliminating two water bottles, I've reduced the weight of my bike to the tune of $600.
    You are one smart man! thirsty, but smart.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to do a long hard 12 hour + ride each year and Feeding and Hydration were the only ways we could get through this ride. For a few days beforehand- it was load with fluids. In the 30 minutes before the ride started- it was Drink a litre of Energy drink. On the ride we had to take at least one litre of fluids per hour and the backup crew kept an eye on what we were taking. If he felt we were not drinking enough- he met us at a X road and forced 500 ml of water into us. And one memorable year- The Ambulances were at the 60 mile mark (it was very hot that year) and forcing everyone to take a cup of water at a check in point.

But that goes in sweat. On the few occasions we had to take a natural break- It was minimal amount of pee and completely clear. It does not matter what you take in as fluid- Water- Energy drink- Fruit juce and in moderation Tea or Coffee- You will need it. The only thing I do not take for a couple of days before- or during a ride- Is alcohol. Mind you- a couple of Glasses of Spitfire beer after a ride is fantastic.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
    Nothing like an "expert" opinion. My mom (80 years old) likes to tell me that I'm overdoing it riding 50-100+ mile rides. I finally had to tell her, "Mom, I love you and appreciate your concern... but you don't know anything about this sport and you don't know what you're talking about."
    Harsh, dude. That was harsh.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh - thats easy, thats what the empty water bottle is for.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. I followed it and guess what. I did a very long ride (a little over 45 miles) on Saturday and . . .
    I wasn't exhausted on Sunday! That water thingie is the most important. I also brought an orange along and a kashi energy bar. I ate a good carb meal early in the morning because I couldn't leave until three.
    Thanks for all the help!
    K

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chalk up another one for the 50+ers! Are we not FAB? I'm glad you found the combination. I think cyclists who ride frequently, no matter the distance or pace, find what works for them: bananas, V8 juice, energy bars, extra water, trail mix, big meal/small meals, etc.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades