Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 09-16-08, 08:39 PM   #1
Hask12

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Clippless pedals, seat height

Recently got clipless pedals so I decided to adjust my seat height. I'm now at the point when I put my heels on the pedals my legs are fully extended, almost to the point of rocking my hips. But when I clip in my legs have plenty of bend in them when I pedal. So do I think I'm in the ballpark for seat height, or does the fact that my legs are fully extended when it's heel to pedal and hips rocking, indicate that the seat may be a bit too high.
Hask12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 08:46 PM   #2
howsteepisit

Bikes: Mecian
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I start with heels on pedals, leg straight, then usually need to go maybe 1/2 inch higher. It really depends on you and your equipment. I have SEDI shoes, Look pedals. My basic theory is that your seat should be at a height where your hips don't rock when you pedal. I keep going higher until the hips rock, then back off slightly.
howsteepisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-08, 04:42 AM   #3
BSLeVan

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If at all possible have someone ride behind you (or stand behind you if your bike is on a stationary trainer) and watch to see if your hips rock. If they rock at all your seat is probably a bit too high. If there is no rocking and no knee pain I'd be tempted to let it there. Recent research has found that 25 degree knee bend is where you want to be. Check out this article: http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6...7460-1,00.html
BSLeVan is offline   Reply With Quote