Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clippless pedals, seat height

Recently got clipless pedals so I decided to adjust my seat height. I'm now at the point when I put my heels on the pedals my legs are fully extended, almost to the point of rocking my hips. But when I clip in my legs have plenty of bend in them when I pedal. So do I think I'm in the ballpark for seat height, or does the fact that my legs are fully extended when it's heel to pedal and hips rocking, indicate that the seat may be a bit too high.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I start with heels on pedals, leg straight, then usually need to go maybe 1/2 inch higher. It really depends on you and your equipment. I have SEDI shoes, Look pedals. My basic theory is that your seat should be at a height where your hips don't rock when you pedal. I keep going higher until the hips rock, then back off slightly.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If at all possible have someone ride behind you (or stand behind you if your bike is on a stationary trainer) and watch to see if your hips rock. If they rock at all your seat is probably a bit too high. If there is no rocking and no knee pain I'd be tempted to let it there. Recent research has found that 25 degree knee bend is where you want to be. Check out this article: http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6...7460-1,00.html
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.