Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking for some advice

Trying to get back in the saddle and looking to replace my centuries old cannondale to do some riding in the hills around home...moderate mileage...mostly for conditioning..can anyone lend advise on the pros and cons of the various models that I have listed here: specialized-tarmac and roubaix.....and cannodale-synapse and caad9 5

thanks

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by croy View Post
    Trying to get back in the saddle and looking to replace my centuries old cannondale to do some riding in the hills around home...moderate mileage...mostly for conditioning..can anyone lend advise on the pros and cons of the various models that I have listed here: specialized-tarmac and roubaix.....and cannodale-synapse and caad9 5

thanks
    I can't offer any advice since all my bikes are Treks but I do want to say "Welcome".

I'm sure others will have experience with these bikes.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by croy View Post

thanks
    First let me say "welcome" as well!

I don't know much about those Cannondales, but I have been researching the Specialized road bikes.

Probably the first question is, what's wrong with your ancient Cannondale? Many people in 50+ and elsewhere on the site are using -70's thru present day bikes as primary riding. Bicycles of all ages respond well to light or heavy maintainance. Basically there's nothing "wrong" about getting your old bike checked over and overhauled, and riding it. It would cost $200 to $300, should have it working as when it was new, and then you could see how it suits your new older body.

Between the two Specs you mention, I would pick the Roubaix for my 55 year old body. I don't want to be forced to lean down low, and the Roubaix has a taller head tube, allowing the handlebars to be placed higher. It also has a less-responsive more-stable steering that I think I'd want for longer rides. I think I'd like not to have to be quite so attentive to steering after 40 miles in the saddle. I also know from my favorite steel bike that I want better shock and vibration isolation, and that's what the Roubaix is designed for. They're also said to be nearly as fast as the racy bikes like the Tarmac.

I am a little put off by the high China-made content in the Specs and in their proprietary parts.

Road Fan

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang on to that centuries (??) old C'dale; its as good a bike as what is out there now.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many will have tried back to back testing on different manufacturers by testing bikes at the LBS. But for us to suggest that you would be better on a Spec. or Dale is impossible for us. That is down to you- and your body.

About 2 years ago and I test rode several makes and models. Finished up buying an aluminium frame and forks that very few people have heard of. It was the best Bike I had tried.

So get out- find the shops- test the bikes and don't take your wallet with you till you have tried them all.

And as zonatandem says- The old Dale may still be your best bet.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan