Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 09-17-08, 03:57 PM   #1
djnzlab1

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great iNfo for working on the bike

HI,
I Stumbled on this over at the MEchanical forums, and felt it was very useful for anyone wanting to work on their bike they even have a tune-up section..http://bicycletutor.com/
My last service call today was for 46 bucks rear wheel service and cassette. , I did need some bearings though with the packing of the rear hub.
After I order some additional tools I will be able to clean out my bike bearing and hubs and save alot of that money. I do like fiddling with things. he maybe I can do this oneday after i Retire..
Doug
djnzlab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-08, 05:32 PM   #2
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnzlab1 View Post
HI,
I Stumbled on this over at the MEchanical forums, and felt it was very useful for anyone wanting to work on their bike they even have a tune-up section..http://bicycletutor.com/
My last service call today was for 46 bucks rear wheel service and cassette. , I did need some bearings though with the packing of the rear hub.
After I order some additional tools I will be able to clean out my bike bearing and hubs and save alot of that money. I do like fiddling with things. he maybe I can do this oneday after i Retire..
Doug
The problem with learning how to fix your bike is that now you need to buy tools. After the tools arrive you could be unlucky enough to become good at it. Pretty soon, your going to want to build a bike to "save money". Then your going to discover the wonderful world of buying bike parts. Now you need more tools...................more parts.....................and all this time all you thought about N+1 was another bicycle every now and again.........
Old 09-17-08, 07:03 PM   #3
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Like maddmaxx says, its a skill and a tool and more tools and better tools and a skill or two more and more tools to have some good ones to carry around and that wheel is almost right and where is that machine shop and all of a sudden all friends have bikes and they start buying tools and . . .
gcottay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-08, 08:01 PM   #4
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote