Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parkinson disease and tandems

I have seen some information that stroker with parkinson disease can get some improvements by riding around 30 min and 3 to 5 times a week. I am thinking about telling one of my friends about this and I expect to be asked how much a tandem will cost and where can they get one.

I am thinking that a stationary system would be best for this training.

So please give me your opinions and comments so that I can pass them along.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This sort of tandem would appear to be inexpensive, but I know nothing of its quality.

http://villagecyclesport.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=4688 Diamondback Wildwood Tandem.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out this thread... Tandem'ing helps with parkinson

The guy to PM is asu_gt. He is doing Parkinson's research using a tandem. I suggest checking out the setup used in the lab scaled back for home use.

Tandems represent even a smaller market than traditional bikes and as such the cost is higher. It is usually hard to go wrong when buying a single bike from a major manufacturer no matter which class of bike you pick, tandems are the same if you buy from a major manufacturer. The problem is the cost is more than 2 times that of a comparable single. There are numerous threads in the tandem forums on cheap tandems. IMHO, cheap tandems are a waste of money for the road.

Now, if the goal is to put one on a stationary trainer for rehab purposes, looking into an off brand model that is less expensive MAY be okay. If I were going to put a tandem on a trainer, I would look at Ebay / Craig's list and try to get old Santana, Co-Motion, Burley, Trek or Cannondale in the proper size. The prices will vary but I suspect $800 to $1000 is ball park and one may do better.

Good luck.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheap Tandems are not worth it. There are a few Cheapish Tandems that are good beginners bike and The Tandem Forum will advise.

Tandems have to take a lot of strain. Cheap Drive chain and wheels are the let down on the cheap ones. Not only will they not last--With the power of two riders- They will not work.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help.

My Bikes
    Trek 7000, Trek T-900 Tandem, wife has a Navigator 300. We also have a '74 Schwinn Tandem we courted and got married on.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't overlook the possibility of local, used tandems. Often overlooked since they are in someones basement or otherwise stored and unseen.

Freight charges can really drive the price of an ebay tandem past the bargain point. New gear, as stated, is very expensive for decent quality. But put the word out at the local shop, the local trading news, and ask around, and sooner or later somebody will remember that a friend of a friend has this old bike he never rides anymore...

That's how the wife and me got our first tandem together, and from a most unexpected source, and for FREE. It's worth a try...

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have ridden and trained with a parky stoker for local 35 mile event.
    Have been riding tandem for 33+ years.
    Great way for 2 people to have fun/exercise.
    Would not recommend training indoors. Outdoors is not near as boring . . . ever changing scenery/terrain/weather. Contact local bike club and see if there are any tandemers that may be willing to take a person with Parkinsons out for at least a trial spin.
    Tandems seat 2 people and cost normally twice as much as a good single. Buying used is the way to go . . . for a $1,000 and up you could get a good starter tandem.
    Good brand new ones? $3000+.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramius View Post
    Don't overlook the possibility of local, used tandems. Often overlooked since they are in someones basement or otherwise stored and unseen.

Freight charges can really drive the price of an ebay tandem past the bargain point. New gear, as stated, is very expensive for decent quality. But put the word out at the local shop, the local trading news, and ask around, and sooner or later somebody will remember that a friend of a friend has this old bike he never rides anymore...

That's how the wife and me got our first tandem together, and from a most unexpected source, and for FREE. It's worth a try...
    I had a friend that wanted a bike for his son at Uni. He put an advert in his local paper saying
    Wanted- Cheap bike for Poor student- Must be Cheap.

He got afew offers of cheap bikes and many offers of Free bikes. He had to wade through the garbage and scrap quite a few- but he did get a couple of really good bikes passed onto to him that were worth keeping.

Try something similar with regard that you want a Cheap Tandem for someone with a medical condition and see what happens.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

howard/janine
    My Bikes
    santana, specialized, whiz wheels and other
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

parkinson's

Consider also the independence of a recumbent tricycle with the wheels in front also known as a tadpole trike. Look at the whiz wheels, green speed, cat trike and terra trike sites. The wheels in front design is more stable and the dual hand controls might dampen out the tremor. Good luck. The thing to do is to try these at a shop that has them.

As to tandems, may people with disabilities appreciate the movement and activity independent of any disease modifying effects. Tandems can be rented in Dallas, TX area and tandem groups such as Spring City, TX do rides for the blind etc. If you post your area, size, weight and expectations you could probably find someone to give a trial ride.

Yours from Abilene and Fort Worth, TX